Has anyone ? suggestions ideas for long grass?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mike Cantwell, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi all :)

I am just wondering if anyone has come up with any ideas for long grass? The track I am modelling has areas with grass about up to 1 meter high.

I guess I am worried about adding too many polys/frame rate that sort of thing. Here is a photo from the real track to give an idea of what I am after....

View attachment 9773

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Generally, rF2 can handle way more polys than rF1. Difference is actually huge...

I'd go for Stamp Vertex shader with many polys.

Cheers!

3. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

That sounds good. Lakeside is quite a small track, just 2.4km long, but does have interesting scenery. Having a look at the detail in Silverstone for example, I can now build the building with far more detail than RF1. Thanks :)

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I've created a grass generator for rF1.
    The idea was that I split terrain into, let's say 20m x 20m areas and place 5 GMT files in each area. Each of these 5 GMT files contained 20% of grass in that area. Then you just set one of these GMT's to have, like 50m LODout, next one to 80m, next one to 140m, next to 250m and final one to 500m ( numbers are just examples ).

This way I had like 1 million polygons of grass polygons in entire track, but only 30-50k displayed at a time.

Of course it's a lot of work to do the same without tools, but maybe it will give you some other ideas for optimization.

Also - avoid billboard shader for grass - you would see too many intersections moving around. Static geometry would be better in this case.