Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. coops

coops Banned

Hi DrR1pper never had rattling actually only 1 mod the v8 mod but have had heaps of clipping and this has fixed that very well............... tyvm c.puncher

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ah, my bad, i forgot about the new JSON format. I've not been on rf2 for 4 months now so please forgive me for the mistake.

Interesting article/blog hexagramme.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

With latest drivers for Fanatec, latest firmware and build 798, definitely don't need any tweaks to the FFB any longer. Just bone stock install will feel fantastic with a Fanatec. Not sure about Logi or Thrustmaster, but Fanateckies can stop fiddling now :)

5. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I'll test that theory in a few minutes.........

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Not a theory ;)

If you have any issues, let us know what your settings are. I presume you know how to use "realism" settings on the wheel itself.

7. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Please describe your realism settings Marc if you would so I can set my CSW up properly. Also, I noticed that the new build has the ffb smoothing at 9. Your suggestions and comments are appreciated.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I was just referring to turning off all the distortions (or purposeful tweaks if you prefer) in the wheel menu.

First, do you have driver 200 that comes with the latest v53 firmware?

Second, set Windows Control Panel settings to 900/100% with neither check box checked.

Wheel settings:

SEn = OFF (rF2 will set the degrees itself for each car)
    FF = 100
    SHo = OFF
    ABs = 000 or a very small percentage just so you know when you have mashed the brake pedal to the floor (will cause a vibration that isn't part of rF2 and is fake because most of the cars don't have ABS and even if they did, it wouldn't be triggered by a percentage of pedal travel, it would be dynamic based on road conditions)
    LIn = OFF
    dEA = OFF
    drI = OFF
    For = 100
    SPr = OFF
    dPr = OFF

With these settings bone stock rF2 feels as close to perfect FFB as any sim I have ever used.

If you do feel the need to fiddle, you can only change one setting at a time (either in rF2 files or on the wheel). It is incredibly easy to get "lost" in the settings and make a bunch of contradictory changes that end up no better than where you started from and usually worse. Unlike some other areas (e.g., UI design) here I trust the ISI folks to know what they are doing. They spend a lot of time engineering the core and I am not likely going to improve on their genius. Even the first available build of rF2 way back had the best FFB at the time.

9. Ken Lipper

Ken Lipper Registered

Thanks for the info Mark. How does this apply to the GT2 wheel? The latest driver is 177 and firmware is 756. I have both of these installed and the stock settings weren't very good. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. As you can see from my post count I'm very new to this.

Thanks - Ken
    Brisbane, Australia

10. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Thank you Marc!!! ...yes 200 and 053 here. I had seen a post of yours about the settings before and wanted to verify. Cheers.

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

don't bother. F'd up my porsche wheel pretty good. Going to have to search for the drivers I was using before. I've gotten used to fanatecs inability to make proper firmware and drivers though. I'm assuming these new drivers were for the clubsport even though they said on their forum it was for all fanatec wheels.

12. Ken Lipper

Ken Lipper Registered

I installed the 177 driver and 756 firmware. With the recommendations in this thread I was able to get it working better but still not great.

Ken

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

It seems every two months I'm reminded why I'll never buy a fanatec product again. I just don't understand why people lie.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Set Smoothing to 0, too.

15. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Thank you sir.

16. coops

coops Banned

have not bought anything but fanatec since i started sim racing never had 1 bad product yet, have used Logitech and they feel and look like toys with all that plastic there pedals i find are crap. there are also a lot of complaints about other wheels but fanatec gets the worse rap and i dont know why. cant wait for my new universal hub to be delivered. i have the new drivers and with the pedal overlay i get massive clipping when i turn the wheel in sharp corners and this post has helped stop that.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I know this isn't exactly keeping with the scope of the thread but this is the first t500 vs csw long term comparison review that i've ever found:

18. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Slightly different firmware etc as I have an Elite.
    one thing I notice is SEn=off.
    rF2 will set the degrees whether this is at 900 or off I think....
    the difference between setting a figure and off is it will use the fanatec/windows setting when you set this to off on the wheel.

19. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

Did a fresh install with build 798 (no backup of controller.json) and tried higher wheel profiler value of 106 (Logitech G25 here), stm 0.04 and no other changes in controller.json and it feels great :)
    Like it more than my previous setting with wheel profiler value of 100 and higher stm. Feels a lot heavier around center! Thinking of lowering stm bit more but haven't done yet.

20. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Nice you like it