Gingerman Raceway by James Mabe "cyruscloud" WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Jul 19, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I will buy it too, for sure. There has got to be some incentive for modders to go that extra mile to bring above standard quality content to this sim.

Keep up the good work man!

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sure it does, but how about some credit for the fact that it already looks 10 times better than the grass at most rF2 tracks??? And from a cockpit view, it probably doesn't need any work relative to other items that need to be finished (e.g., track edge where it meets the grass) or that are invisible in a screen shot (e.g., AIW).

In fact, I would go so far as to say it does not need improving. We just need an additional less well groomed grass texture for areas farther from the circuit where they likely wouldn't bother or be able to maintain the "golf course" cutting pattern.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The grass texture variation is great, the only thing I could say is perhaps the blades may be too big (but they are in pretty much every game). Nice to know there will be shadows cast by objects, I presume the tire wall along the marshall tents do as well :D.

4. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

The grass look is basically what I was going for, photos I have of after they cut it and onboard videos with similar patterns. Actually the satellite imagery for this track matches the patterns for the cutting paths pretty close. Further out is farm land looks like a lot of time so the rows make some sense out there as well, honestly most of the time you won't see the rows in the distant terrain, I purposely was aiming for some high distance shots on this. Also time of day was typically around noon on these shots partly due to I still need to work on the tree shaders and angles of some tree rows so lighting doesn't contrast harshly like sunset a tree row will be black while individual trees are still strongly lit and that is probably responsible for some of the shadows being hard to notice from things like the tire barriers.. There is a verge around everything you will be close to, no close enough shots here to show though you can see the cracks around road patches and curbs as well see some of the tar sealer in places that is slightly feelable.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It does look like high distance shots, perfectly so. There's just a weird feeling of scaling when compared to the shots with the car on the track. Maybe that can't be helped and also being the Skip Barber doesn't help :p.

6. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Yea, I really need another car to work with in Dev mode because as far as I know the skip barber doesn't seem to even have active reflections in dev mode, which if I didn't mention all these screens are from dev mode I haven't put together a package yet.

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Do you need a Beta tester? :)

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Great stuff Cyrus :)

I think the grass will become better once the track is more busy with objects, trees, buildings etc,

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

10. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

That was actually what I was hoping for, I like the physics response I get from that car and shaders are definitely working on it so much appreciated for that. Car drives quite well on the track too and ai are doing ok with it there.

11. call-911

call-911 Registered

Looks great!! I will buy for sure. I'm hoping the track pitch and elevations in certain areas (The hill before T1 when you can't see what is on the other side, The bowl like pitch in T2, and the drop at 10b) are close. I can't wait for the release!

12. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Howdy again, track isn't far from release, just about to go into testing phase. Did want to put a shout out that I have 4 billboards I can put something on, since the actual sponsors at the track change or the boards are typically blank I figured I would put in a bit of sim racing sponsoring. I am likely to put URD on one who will be helping with distributing the track at release, ISI is another option if they allow it, my own logo may be on one or tied to the URD one so that leaves 1 or 2 boards I can fill. VirtualR is a popular one but considering they have posted news on dozens of other tracks being made but not mine I am not sure I hold and reason really to advertise for them at this point. Any other ideas?

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

How about charities you trust? World Wildlife Foundation, Unicef, water.org, etc.

14. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

RAF benevolent fund is close to ISI
    As for virtualRcade. If that site goes in the track my money stays in my pocket. They have done nothing for rF2

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wonderful news man. Congratulations on being close to completion.

As for sponsors some kind of charity would be very nice. I feel much the same about VirtualR. Not that I won't buy the track if its logo goes in there of course. But VirtualR, as others say, have done less that nothing for rFactor 2.

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

VirtualR used to have rivers of rFactor 2 material, a ton of WIP things etc but it lost ground to pCARS and Assetto Corsa (and GSCE when there is something). It also happened because that ton of WIP things never continued. There are still rF2 news though but really bashing that website is a bit much. I agree about not having them as virtual sponsors either, I cited WWF and UNICEF as my main exampels because they are benevolent funds not based on a very specific group of people or with someone tied down to a country/government/war-based (and there's enough RAF on ISI content).

17. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Ok, basically there is only one thing currently stopping me from taking this track to testing phase and that is the starting lights. For whatever reason I can't get them to work right, I've never had trouble before, I even pulled up one of my old systems from Rfactor and can see that I have things setup very similar to the old one that worked, just less lights. I tried to make a 3 light system, however it would crash if I set the number of starting lights to 3, if I set it to 4 the sequence played right but it waited a moment after the last light and horn before letting the cars go. So I tried modifying the lights to a 4 light system, now the light sequence isn't working at all and the horns still played as if for 3 lights. Setting the number of lights to 5 I can hear the horns play for 5 lights but I still can't get the light sequence to show at all, even pulling up and older file with the 3 lights won't work like it did before now, no light animation at all I can't figure out what is wrong with it. Pit Lights are working, Caution lights are working but Start lights just want to ruin my fun for some reason.

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Somebody help this man, quickly. :)

I hope you can get the lights sorted.

So excited about the release of this track! :)

19. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Just an update, Start Lights have been sorted, so no onto testing phase, hopefully shouldn't be too long till release now.

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Fantastic! I got some cash burning a hole in my pocket, coming your way very soon.
    Good luck with completing the track man. :)