Gingerman Raceway by James Mabe "cyruscloud" WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Jul 19, 2014.

1. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Just wanted to drop in and give an update on my current project. If anyone missed it in the other thread here http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18949-Howdy-from-a-track-guy I am basically working on creating premium tracks for RF2, I know that is a word not many people like but if you read that thread you may understand where I am coming from. This track is the first of many hopefully that will be a part of this project pending on how well this and maybe the next track do on their release will determine my future efforts. All that aside, I figured I am far enough long now to start building some buzz on the track. Since this is a commercial effort I am having to scratch create everything and I can't even use textures I've created in the past in other work so I am building my usable resources as I go. Currently one of my greatest barriers is going to be the foilage, the greenery, the trees and such as I have none to use. Hopefully I can make some but I am still looking for some way to get more that I can use commercially. Currently as you can see in these previews, the lack of trees plays a big part in things looking empty. I still have plenty of visual work to do though, the core essentials are in place, I am currently working on Tso's as you can see a couple flag stands in already along with the many barriers. Terrain and Road details will come in at a later stage so they have their base shaders in but expect a big difference by release. Hopefully this load of screens isn't too much but I wanted to keep them big to best show 1:1 in game preview.

GRAB_001.JPG GRAB_003.JPG GRAB_004.JPG GRAB_005.JPG GRAB_007.JPG GRAB_008.JPG

2. sergioloro

sergioloro Registered

keep pushing!!
    nice work so far :)

3. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Thanks, looking good!

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Just an idea. Create a tree in max. Create diffuse, bump and spec maps from different angles and you have something to map on the billboards.

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah man, rock on! I'm sure this will be a great project! :cool:

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Nice to see this development Cyrus, good luck man :)

Dumb question: can't you use ISI content for these projects? didn't they say all their stuff is usable by others? or was that only for non-commercial stuff.

7. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

That is only for noncommercial content.

8. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Great work. We need this quality stuff in rFactor ;)

9. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

Looking good James. Good to see you around!

10. call-911

call-911 Registered

Excellent!!! I'm greatly looking forward to it. If you have any questions about the track, I have first hand knowledge of driving it. The new extension adds a bit of elevation change that makes it a much more enjoyable track to drive. I'd gladly pay for it when released as long as the layout and elevations are accurate.

Do you have any desire to re-do Autobahn for rF2?? I'd gladly pay for an official re-release for that as well.

11. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

I believe the track will be accurate enough, I used the elevation information that the track itself had provided, it isn't lased scanned by any means but I believe it should match up pretty good. The surrounding terrain is likely to have more inaccuracies than the race surface itself.

Autobahn is on my list to do, actually have a draft version and some research done on it but information is harder to find for it and I haven't gotten any response out of the track itself. When I do it I want to make sure I can make it more accurate than the first time I did it, then while the shape and size was quite accurate and little details like bumps were in place the overall elevation was mostly guess work.

12. call-911

call-911 Registered

Awesome! Cant wait! I have first hand knowledge driving the track at Autobahn as well on both circuits with the track record for my class on the North track if you would like input on elevation and surface imperfections. Just let me know.

13. call-911

call-911 Registered

I have GPS data from an Aim data system for both Autobahn circuits if you can find any way to use it. I haven't been to Gingerman since we went to a GPS system.

14. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

If the gps data has elevation information in it then yes it could be very beneficial. Gps data can often get off a bit over a lap and leave some inaccuracies but it does help reconfirm things.

15. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Update

An update and screens below. Current status is that I am not far from finished. Have some shader work to do, reflections and more aiw and cam work then onto testing. Few notes about the pending release, this has taken a while, longer than I set out for for a few reasons. First being I had to take commissions to keep afloat while working on this as I've said before. Second is my health, I've had numerous things weighing me down in the last few months and some are getting worse as time goes. One obstacle being I need some serious dental work and I need it soon. That aside, since I've had to create so much from scratch this first release will be missing a few things, one being things like animated marshals I will have some start and pit lights in place though unrealistic but I have no time to work on fully modeled and animated marshals. The other is paddock clutter, the track is more or less going to look like a solo track day at this point. Will it always be this way? Answer is no, while the first release may be missing some detail it will still be a very nice looking and solid track to race on, anyone purchasing the track will be entitled to an updated version to come at a later date that will polish and detail the track even more.

All that aside a notice to would be purchases, by buying this track you are not just buying one product you are in fact support this effort and future efforts, and feasibility for a business model like this to work. No I don't want the world filled with dlc that will dollar and dime you to death, that isn't my intention. My intention is simply to support myselt not to get rich and in hopes keep providing quality content to simracers. So please purchase this track at its release and I will keep bringing you more and more popular tracks and the better I am support the cheaper prices I can set and the greater possibility of possibly free content down the road. I will do my best to work out a deal for any leagues that want to bulk buy, also for anyone wanting to donate you can always purchase the track more than once if you want and get more from your added support or I will setup someway to let you donate if you desire.

As for where the track will be released, the guys at URD have agreed to let me setup shop with them so if you are already familiar there then there isn't much more to know, I will provide details for a release date and such soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Looking nice and clean but that grass is way too well cut :p. Quick question, how much of an impact would it cause to have the trackside cones and minor objects (truly the ones with most proximity to any action) cast shadows?

18. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Coming along really nicely. well done :cool: Good to see some nice texture variation.

19. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

The cones do cast shadows, I think there is an odd shadow clipping going on in the screenshot, I tried to get the shadow on that cone to appear but wouldn't for some reason yet they are there most other times.

20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

the track looks nice and I will buy it to support you, but I agree with Guimengo, the grass need some work!