Ghost cars in RF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brett, Jan 7, 2012.

1. blanes

blanes Registered

I for one hope that ghosts are freely available to anyone at any time because they increase the fun of the sport for everyone.

So please isi do not put any restrictions.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

nope you are totally wrong there, if I can learn new lines through corners by watching someones elses Ghost Lap then anyone can! Of course you cannot use it to improve your car, thats what shared setups do, you CAN use them to improve your driving style and thats a fact not just an opinion!
    BTW I like the idea of having them hidden until you freely send one (via in-game like a setup), like it!

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I said, driving style, not driving line. :)

As well as using replays. Moreover replays gives you slow-mo, makes possible to analyze things deeper (speeds, inputs etc)
    Ghosts are only more competitive/interesting - there is more fun competing against something, chasing something rather than doing hotlaps alone.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

changing how you drive your lines affects your driving style to some degree, people improve their style to get better aka practice makes perfect. same thing

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

not exactly. if some one is driving too aggressive on tyres, replays/ghosts don't change it. Driver must work on him self. He may try to copy some ones style, or just get to know that it is possible to go faster with other driving style. But to change it, he must do a lot of workouts.
    And from this point of view, ghosts are no better than replays. But nobody votes for denying replays for public use. That's what I'm trying to prove.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

"But to change it, he must do a lot of workouts"

so therefore he watches a ghost lap, does a lot of practice and his times get better, therefore he changed his style eventually.....YOU'RE WELCOME :rolleyes:

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yep... same as comparing 2 replays using merge program, watching for differences, then doing a lot of practice improving times. You're welcome :)

So why to make ghosts classified? Or maybe disallow to saving replays?

8. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

The ghost cars is useless for me.
    It's like the setups they give direction but do not learn to drive and have the NIAC.
    Everyone has their driving style.
    After you in that this can be disabled it bother me.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

oh sweet jesus max wake up, I was discussing the driving style change.....I give up with you!

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I believe the point being made here was for someone in a competitive league, where driver 1 is maybe .3 faster than driver 2. Driver 1 would not like driver 2 to have free access to the ghost file as that would provide driver 2 with something to show where he is losing time perhaps because of wrong line, or perhaps due to something else, such as exit speed from a specific corner. Driver 1 would lose his advantage at this point.

Without the ghost, driver 2 would have to spend a bit more time working on his racing running laps to see if he can find the extra time without the hint from the faster driver. In this situation, I can see not wanting your ghost readily available for just anyone to download.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Looks there are still ones who doesn't think that merged replays are may be considered as hints.

12. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

You know what is being missed here? being a fast hot lapper does not make you a better racer, it is only half the equation. So people being able to use your ghost to learn better lines is not going to mean they are going to beat you in a race, unless you are out on your own, your lines are going to be compromised by having to drive defensibly, or taking a wider line to overtake, or undercut coming out of a corner etc, etc. Ghost laps can and do help you to see where you may be able to adjust your positioning, lines and braking points to get round a track faster, only by actually racing can you learn racecraft, and racecraft is the thing that divides winners from the rest of the field. A good race sim should have everything you need to progress, from all the assists for beginners, to full sim for the experts.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

+1 KoR

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thank you! :)

You are definetely right about this, but the subject here isnt about racecraft and/or all the skills needed to win in racing :)

He is definetely a challenge to convince thats for sure lol :)

1. Racing against a ghost in real time where his line, speed, car attitiude, car behaviour etc is contstantly changing in real time to yours is not the same as recording your replay, then recording someone elses replay, then going out of game into windows in some video merging program and playing the 2 simultaneously.

For one thing, you are watching 2 different videos from 2 different perspectives, sure its better than nothing, and probably slightly better than just watching his replay but its not the same as racing a ghost car that is on the same peice of tarmac and in the same virtual world as you.

EXAMPLE: If a driver is seperated by 3 tenths at the end of a 4 mile lap, its going to be very hard to tell where the difference lies with simply merging some recordings. I mean, corner to corner, straight to straight the 2 cars are constantly changing in which ones ahead, as you might gain a couple feet on him under braking for a turn, but in the final 1/3 of braking he catches up a few feet as he rolls the car in quicker (he must have either started releasing the brakes earlier, or at the same time as you but quicker) and therefore carries a bit more speed in, he then carries a bit more speed into the apex as you can see the ghost pull out ahead a bit more in front of you, then you notice from apex to almost the entire exit you actually catch up to him as you are getting on the power, but then in the very final 1/3 of the exit your great exit stops gaining time on him as he must have gotten to full throttle before you even though you got on it better in the first 2/3 of the exit, then from the exit to the middle of the straight he pulls away even further, maybe he has less downforce? No, wrong, he must have different gearing or maybe it was just down to his better overall exit because from mid straight to the end of the straight the tables turn and you slowly are closing in on him again, you must have less downforce or maybe smaller brake ducts or smaller radiator openings than him. Etc etc etc etc etc etc

There is no way you can tell all this detail this detail in just merging to videos of 2 different drivers onboards on top of each other. It will be more like driver A is ahead because he passed the nearby sign a tad before driver b, now driver B is ahead because he passed the 200m marker board first, now driver A is back ahead because he passed this certain tree before driver B did. Of course you can see some more differences between the 2 like general lines and his steering movements in comparison to how you steer, but nothing close to the detail above, I mean the detail above in the first example is like a having a super simplified version of his telemetry data running in realtime against you.

2. Watching one replay is exactly that, just watching one replay, of one single lap from you, what if you took a turn, or a braking phase from a certain turn better on another lap, what if you change your set up, what if you improve, what if you felt you did better on sector 2 as a whole, but better on the entry to 1 corner in sector 2 on the lap before. You are going to have to keep recording your replays and then again and again overlaying them on top of his replays in some video merge program everytime you want to check out how you did in a certain corner or lap or whatever. You are going to constantly have to start recording lots of laps and constantly be pulling up one of your laps from a stash of many to compare to someone elses lap that you you recorded. Pretty soon you are going to be doing more video work then playing the darn game lol.

3. and most of all, WHO IS ACTUALLY GOING TO GO THROUGH ALL THAT HASSLE. I mean who actually does that, your clearly trying anything you can to win an argument and prove you are right, I mean really? Are you serious??? Externally recording all your laps?? Installing recording software?? Recording all of your replays through out of game recording software?? Having to then record other peoples replays whenever you want to compare a specific lap?? Then exit and use some other program to merge the 2 videos?? Then try to make use of the 2 videos on top of eachother??? Are you serious right now????? Common brotha, lets get real here, noones going to do that, and if you do and some others do then im sure most would agree with me it would be 1 in THOUSANDS, and even though probably only at VERY desperate moments.

I mean all that work everytime you want to compare a lap??? Im pretty sure noone (or almost noone) does that. Unless maybe in VERY VERY desperate times or in a specific situation, but I cant picture anyone doing that on a regular basis, no way jose lol.

In my opinion, merging 2 videos on top of eachother would BARLEY be better than watching them side by side, let alone the direct real time relation you get from your perspective from a ghost car racing and going along the circuit with you, as the speed and distance relationship between the 2 of you are constantly changing in real time back and forth back and forth as I explained above in point #1, its like a super dumbed down version of your opponents telemetry and can be VERY usefull for some, and VERY informative.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Hmmm. Now I know why you are arguing this way. Looks like you don't know rfcMerge program: CLICK
    It is enough to be on the same session with you, then take replay file stored onto my hdd, load into rfcMerge extracting and merging your and mine replay. And play it in rF to analyse differences.

16. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Sorry racecraft irrelevant in the general conversation about the pro's and cons of ghosts?...sigh, I have so much to learn.

17. coops

coops Banned

personal preference: GHOST or MERGE REPLAY both will be available to use so your choice, that's whats best for the SIM and the PLAYERS more than 1 CHOICE.... IMHO

18. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Oh dear this tread has some heated comments.

First off, when you post on a forum think about what you are writing. I mean would you use the same provoking/antagonistic words if you were talking face to face with someone you have just met.

Give the user the choice of ghost or no ghost and add the same option to the server. (The concern will be that it will get hacked)

I will still use VCRmerge to see where you are faster than I am though when ghost is turned off; but since I do not know your setup, it is not going to make me as good a driver/car combination as you anyway.

19. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

View attachment 4374
    To ISI, thank you for adding ghost cars to the new build. Hope you can add a few more options to them, but yeah, I had some fun with them today.
    Saw a bug of the AI cars avoiding the ghost cars as if it was real, instead of driving through them.
    Shame we don't have them in online races too, I get so bored waiting for people to join the track.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The AI issue is known about. Thanks. :)