Ghost cars in RF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brett, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Brett

Brett Registered

Hi, I've done quite a bit of searching on this, but haven't found anything definitive. I'm wondering whether RF2 will have ghost cars for hot-lapping purposes, as seen in the likes of the Codemaster's recent F1 titles, and the Gran Turismo and Forza series.

From searching, all I could find was that a ghost car in RF2 had been spotted in one of the InsideSimRacing episodes, but no mention of which episode it was in.

I would love to see this feature more than anything else, especially the ability to share or download ghosts of other people.

1 person likes this.
  2. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Registered

That would be neat to have. It could give the offline play some character

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes it will.

4. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

Cool cool cool!

5. MaxLt

MaxLt Registered

+1 Ghost cars are great for those who use rfactor to learn tracks before going there in real life and for working on technique and set up.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

They are out of the current Beta as I spent the last 5mins trying to find them!
    I saw a Menu Screenshot the other day with "transparent trainer" & "trainer lead time" options in the Display Menu :)

7. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Yeah, we had to pull them at the last minute due to an issue that popped up. They will be back :)

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yay! UI can say that this is one of my favorite features of other sims. Thanks for this! One question, will it be integrated with rank?

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

God why, it makes it so much easier to beat peoples laptimes, and know exactly where your loosing and gaining time. Its such a childish and arcade feature for "casual" video games.

I cant picture none of the hardcore sims having it (Netkar Pro, iRacing, Game Stock Car).

Complete childish feature.

Learn how to judge where you are loosing and gaining laptime by how you drive, comparing your sector times, how you took a corner or braked differently when you had a better sector, etc. Or, if you wish to go into greater detail, then use telemetry and analyse and compare your laps that way.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You can always turn it off, personally I think it's a good feature!

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Exactly and is also why i think the previous posts argument is moot.

There was a time when telemetry was a debatable technology and yet it was the natural evolution of being able to compare each driver in minute detail. Having a ghost car is not a replacement for telemetry, it simply compliments the ability to make comparisons but whilst on the track.

Telemetry is available to both real and virtual, however if real world drivers could see ghost cars i think they most certainly would.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

As long as other people, or the server im on cant be stealing my ghost laps from that session then thats fine.

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If you were a real world race driver then I can appreciate that attitude. But since this is nothing more than competitive (fun) racing with no benefits other than satisfying one's ego (as we all to some degree want to win ofc) then I don't see the point in this sort of attitude. No offence, just my take of virtual racing in general. However, perhaps a good reason why iRacing doesn't have ghost is because you are effectively paying for each race with it's monthly subscription fee and you can race for money. If I used iRacing i wouldn't want others to be able to see my ghost track either but would appreciate being able to review my own ghost.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Hmm. But even in real world drivers provide videos or gps data about position on track (rally, WTCC, GT and probably more). ghost is not telemetry.
    Finally, some one may get replay from session with you, and compare it to own one using some merge program.

So I don't understand why your ghost would be such classified.

15. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Actually, iracing does have ghost cars (not identical implementation to Gran Turismo, but there nonetheless). iRacing also has the 'best line' overlay--which, IMO, is a bit more of a crutch than ghosting. netKar also 'had' ghosting, but apparently is a patented technology, so they took it out (Source).

16. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Please go home, and ask your mother to make you a sandwich.

Alan

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol you guys are hilarious, it takes a lot of time and practice to achieve certain times, watching a video replay of a car is cool but completely different to being on track with it as a ghost. Some people take sim racing pretty seriously since its our real life passion and we can't do it in real life.

So don't hate on a guy because he takes simracing seriously and competitively, rather than just having some casual fun playing a video game.

You can't get full telemetry data from other cars in real life on track except your own car. The most you can take from another car would be through gps, even then you would overlay speed graphs on a chart. Much different than having a ghost.

Sure a ghost car is fun its awesome if you have a friend over you can take turns beating eachothers ghosts or whatever. Download peoples ghosts in competitions, ya those are all cool “extra modes and features“ no problem I guess.

I repeat I just hope that the server or other players I race can't take my ghost. 1atch all the vids you like sure that's cool, totally different than a ghost. I'm sure many people wouldn't like it if every player and server could just extract any drivers telemetry data.

Apart from the fact that sometimes people compete for money, are in very competitive leagues, have prizes for top spots etc etc. (None of these apply to me at the moment by the way). Apart from that, some people are just really competitive by nature, and sometimes even more so since this is their real life passion, its not just a “video game“ for some people, but something they put a lot of pride into and simracing as a real life racing replacement really does mean a lot to them.

18. coops

coops Banned

+1 for that

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Which is exactly why we have something called "choice", those that want to use features can turn them on and those that don't turn them off. Pretty simple eh!?! Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

Agreed it would be good that no one else can see your own ghost, I'm sure ISI may of thought of that already, if not add it too a wish list thread.

20. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Having invested more than two thousand pounds so far and god knows how many hours in this hobby I think I qualify as taking this as seriously as anyone, this is why I find the insinuation that having a ghost feature is "childish" a little insulting. I understand that some might want to keep their amazing driving and perfect lines to themselves, and there is nothing wrong with that. A system where ghost laps could be gifted would be nice, especially for team drivers helping each other, you know like in real life? Ghosts are a great learning tool for new people coming into the hobby as well. But it seems they are coming in one form or other, and I for one am glad:)