Formula Renault 3.5 Sounds arent THAT bad...

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Spinelli, May 1, 2012.

1. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Spinelli, I'm not a rF sound guru so I don't know what the answer is technically. But having been to 100s of races, from Formula 1 right the way through to the lowest of categories, I know what a racing car sounds like. And as I've said from day 1 about ALL sims, they generally lack aggression. It's almost as though they lack any meaty low frequency sounds, it all seems very high pitch.

I've got a buttkicker and that goes some way into giving you that aggressive feeling but games still massively lack the lower frequency sounds. In particular, R3.5 is probably the pinnacle of recent mods having a very average sound.

CdnRacer, my personal opinion is that you underestimate the effect of sound. I'm not sure what your real life experience is with motor-racing, but if you haven't heard the scream of a full field of Formula 1 cars roaring off from the start lights, you will have a very real and strong appreciation the importance sound has in simulating cars.

The first thing anyone will say who's never seen a Formula car before is that they can't believe the sound. The speed, colour and performance is always secondary. They are completely and totally perplexed as to how damn loud these beasts are!

2. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

but this discussion (and YUTUBE VIDEOS from you posted) is for a CAMERA point "ear", not the human ear.

Also... we can add limiting and a little bit of distortion/compression
    As it happens to a camera mic, that overdrives on the higl level of db from engine =)

but i know that you want a camera sound, with this discussion =)

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Having taken those videos, I can assure you I want the sound that my ear heard, not the camera - but apart from showing videos from the camera, how else can I show you what I want to hear? :p

Those videos that I posted that I took sound more like what my ear hears than a TV camera.

Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood the point you were making.

4. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

Man, what you say in the previous 3d, it's very right.
    my words only for strenght the concept that you have said

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I agree. Here're some videos I took of the Hamilton/Stewart ride swap last spring. Starting out with just the trucks they sent around the track to try to dry it a bit, followed by the VIP ride in the Corvette ZR1, 'till finally the and NASCAR and F1 cars. Even though they were taken with a cell phone, I find that it exemplifies the differences between the cars better than the TV cameras do, with all of their highly compressed, yet high-quality directional condenser microphones, etc.

6. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I especially love the part on the last video where it sounds like 2 cars coming down the track :cool:

7. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

8. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Nice share! Even amongst the other prototypes, the Audi looks like an alien vessel from the future! So cool... :cool:

Hahah...@6:00, driver is probably saying "These physics suck! It's like driving on ice!"

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

NOT MY VIDEO.

What do you guys think of these sounds? Just curious.

10. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Depends on the car it's supposed to be simulating tbh. Best test to do is play the video in the backround without watching and just listen. Sounds believable to me when i do it. Off throttle, down shifting and bumps it's sounds very nice IMO with rasping and gurgling. Still sounds gamey and digital though slightly but some of the better sim sounds i have heard. The DRM mod has some great sounds also

11. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

You took the words right out of my mouth (no please don't sing Meatloaf now, please).

If the car is supposed to be a go-kart, then the sounds were terrible. No idea what the car is so impossible to say how realistic it sounds. Using some imagination as to what car it is, I would say it sounds 'good'.

Although I can hear the 'whipper snipper' sound superimposed over it which makes it sound very average at times, especially at the beginning when he blips at low revs. The over-run sounds good and it's a little bit more throatier than most mods so it's overall an improvement. Once at speed and ignoring the high frequency whipper snipper, it's good. Certainly in a different ball park compared to the FR3.5.

Whipper snipper:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNlhI1HP4OA&feature=related

12. wolferl

wolferl Registered

Hi, Iketani, i am wolferl and i was surprised to hear my sounds at your videos of the rF2 renault 3.5.
    and even more surprized, that you have got permission from the F1SR-modding group, because they never
    asked me about, (of course they have my email).
    i have leaved the group around a year ago now and i am wondering, how they can give permission
    for work they didnt do.
    as far as i know only the author/creator of the sounds can give permission to use his work.
    kind regards
    wolferl

13. Iketani

Iketani Registered

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

It depends on your agreement with F1SR, doesn't it? Just as ISI has had to rewrite code that now belongs to their previous publisher (EA?), even though they were the ones who wrote it originally. If you're an "employee" of a company, unless you have an explicit deal with your "employer" stating exactly what you own and how they're able to use it, it technically belongs to them, and they can do with it as they please. At least that's how things work in the US.

I don't know if/how most mod groups are set up legally, but I suspect we're getting into a very grey area.

15. wolferl

wolferl Registered

The case, you are describing is very different from mine, it concerns a big company, which is paying a lot of money for the
    work of ISI and of course made certainly contracts with them.
    Neither i am an enployee of a modding-group nor i got money for my work or did an agreement or contract, where i subrogate/signed away the rights for my work ,and as long i didnt, the author/creator have the full copyright of his own work.
    otherwise releasing mods would loose much stimulation, because the only satisfaction of releasing your work is,
    to get some consideration from a more or less small simracer-community

16. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Registered

On replays the outside sounds don't sound very close right now imo, but the interior sounds are pretty decent, as well as the outside sounds from other cars when you're in the cockpit aren't bad. But yeah I'd definitely like some better outside sounds for replays at least. Otherwise the FR's are definitely my favorite mod so far.