Formula Renault 3.5 Sounds arent THAT bad...

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Spinelli, May 1, 2012.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The actual sound samples seem pretty accurate actually, its just the sound engine isnt complex enough to make the sounds sound fuller, rawer, louder etc depending on where the car is, how far from the camera it is, the speed its comming towards the cam, doppler effects, reverb etc. I can go on and on about the complexities of real sound, BUT, like I said above the actual sound samples of the car seem to be pretty accurate, its just up to the sound engine how to use those sounds which is very basic in rFactor 2's sound engine (better than rf1 though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0EdpCrBKkE

start vid from 25 seconds, the actual sound samples themselves ingame seem pretty close, its just what the game audio engine does with those sounds is too basic (just like so many other games with regards to sound engines).

Specifically 28-33 and 48-58 secs in that video really sounds rFactor 2ish, but then again as PLAYLIFE rightly said, tv cameras for whatever reasons dont portray sounds good at all, so maybe the sounds being similiar to this video is not a good thing lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I do hear some simularities between the two. I do think that your sound card and your speakers/headphones have alot to do with sound quality you hear as well.

If ISI could improve on the sounds I'm all for it but as they are I don't mind them. Call me a fanboy or whatever, I don't mind. I'm a hard core sim racer and my preference goes to car feel and physics, tire model etc.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Got that right!

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

5. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Is that a short loop or is that bouncing off the limiter? The nissan gt has a short loop with the pit limiter on which is annoying.

7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I can't find an appropriate sound clip but bouncing off the limiter should be a more frequent much much smaller loop (like tenths of a second if not shorter).

*Edit, I lie, I found one and a Formula Renault 3.5 to boot!
    @0:26 seconds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tsBbKC0plM&feature=related

**Edit 2. You can actually hear the looping sound in the rF2 onboard at Sepang I posted originally. Down any of the decent straights it's there if you listen closely.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

playlife i was comparing the external sounds, the vid you posted sounds wayyy different than the real life video i posted, the cars in yours sound like a completely different engine than the one in my vid and ingame (maybe engines changed in 2012?? The one in your vid sound sooo much better too :)

9. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

TV cameras don't portray sounds properly. I don't know the technical reasons for it, but as you probably know, sitting track-side is a hell of a lot different than watching on TV. TV cameras tend to filter out parts of the sound, it cases to become harsh on the ear unlike real life where your ear drums feel like they're going to burst!

Perfect example, F1 2011:

TV (China 2011, couldn't find Monza)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfYCqkxwPo0&feature=related

My live video from Monza Free Practice 1: Turn it up!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTatfIEBhEw

10. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

It's not about TV cameras but about Broadcasting. Every sound that needs to be broadcasted have to be limited/compressed inside a specific range. The same on video signal...

11. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

That would make sense, thanks for the correction :)

12. ROON

ROON Registered

The 2011 Team Lotus/Caterham was one of the most ear piercingly loud cars I've ever heard, it felt like someone was stabbing thousands of needles into your ear drums as it went past. Ouch! Must've been something about their exhaust.

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

U're welcome mate..

BTW..have you watched this 2009 video?

The sound it's pretty the same in terms of engine voice. :)

EDIT: maybe you're pointing at the external sounds...:)

14. ROON

ROON Registered

I think the sound is similar, but needs to be a tad more 'guttural' in rF2.

15. FONismo

FONismo Registered

+1 It needs to be far more throaty going by the video Tuttle posted, needs more bass and oomph, the tone is alot deeper and murky in real life. The rF2 car sounds too clean and digital in comparison

16. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

The Meganne also sound like the real car but lacks anger.

17. rer8

rer8 Registered

I concur with FONismo.... The one thing I don't know is what the sound of the car is like from the drivers perspective... in car yes... in the "helmet" I am uncertain. Like several others I am more interested in the car feel, tires, grip information translated by the wheel etc.
    Sound is nice, but is secondary. So far, ISI, is taking care of the the essentials.

18. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yep know what you mean. Along with the McLaren Honda V12 of the early 90s and 1995 Ferrari V12, this is one of the more out-standing cars I've ever heard, the Renault with the forward EBD, video I took last year:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkpXgU8Wh6g&feature=plcp

19. ROON

ROON Registered

Wow, Monza. Jealous!

20. Iketani

Iketani Registered

:p