FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The braking behavior and performance is correct. Although the balance in real life (which most sim racers probably would find too difficult), they actually lock the rears a lot, and the simulation was locking in the same places (which they found fantastic).

The FFB issue has been reported.

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Too many minor ones to list and frankly I can't recall. Just open both yours up and that image and just go over the lines one by one.

THIS is the correct response. Making the F2 cars with all their quirks is how all mods should be made. I knew the mod was good when the first 8 feet of driving them involved me spinning into the guardrail at 6 miles an hour. I blame this issue on me NOT BEING AN F2 DRIVER.. And should I ever get into a real F2 and step-on-it as brazenly as I did in the sim I would be a dead man or at least embarrassed..

It should take days to get use to a new car and weeks to actually get fast. Just like real life which is what a simulator is all about.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ok, thanks.

4. Domi

Domi Registered

Were they testing with standard pedals or with some special pedals?

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Ok, nice. At least I know I've to learn how to manage this aspect. :) Tnx.
    What about the reverse/snap feelings in the steering wheel?

6. 88mphTim

Sorry, I edited my post to reply about the reverse feelings. :) It has been reported. Though I don't feel it myself, so the guys will obviously do their thing with the info posted.

7. 88mphTim

Whatever Base Performance had setup for them, which could easily have been very realistic. Base Performance go as far as setting room temp accurate to the place being tested... So I doubt they would go half on equipment.

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Thanks! :D

I don't know if could help...but I've tried with both my wheels and I get the same issue; G25 and Thrustmaster F430 (that feels better than the G25 LOL...).

1 person likes this.
  9. Domi

Domi Registered

Well, that's an important thing to take in consideration when we talk about "braking behaviour is correct". I mean, probably it is, but using a very specific hardware. With those standard Logitech pedals you can smash the brake pedal easily.

10. krivjur

krivjur Registered

1. Not a huge issue for me as I tend to tweak FFB strength for each car already. Probably the scale in the physics could be altered a bit though as this is one of the few cars I use over 1.00 strength.

2. Only handful of laps on Sebring with near default set (brake pressure changed), but I get this feeling as well. Steering tends to go light pretty easily, and especially slow speeds corners. Of course I would expect that if it gets light on higher speeds as well on a downforce car. I haven't got much laps on rF2 in general so it's also a fact I'm not used to this tire model / FFB completely. I feel you can get used to this, but from personal point of view I'd like it'd sustain some more force. Steering goes light quickly.

I tested 1.00, 1.50 and 2.00 FFB strength. With 2 it gets pretty ragged with the CSW with all the bumps on Sebring, with 1 it's very light at points and I lose confidence on the car. 1.50 seems ok compromise with this fast test, but it tends to go lighter than I prefer.

11. 88mphTim

Indeed, but you then have to adapt your driving style to your hardware. Or, you can mod your hardware for resistance.

Honestly, no commercial pedal I have ever tried comes close to the pressure I had to put on the brake pedal in a racing car... We all, as sim racers, have this issue. All that can be done is to drive, and you should adapt and learn where the brakes are (like you would if you sat in a real car and it's pedal was different to another one).

12. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Awesome car ISI -thank you! My only observation is that the brakes are wicked sensitive. I find them fairly hard to modulate, which is probably very real in this type of car. I'm using fanatec club sport pedals and can dial most of the this out, either with brake pressure or the sensitivity knob. I track a spec miata in real life, so I guess I expect brakes to behave similar to that :)

13. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

With my G25 pedals modded with a load cell the brakes feel fine, but its taken 2 years of experimenting to get to this point! The steering does feel too light (very low castor), but my T500RS is set to .40.

14. Domi

Domi Registered

Yeah I agree, the pedals are very different. I just wanted to add my opinion as some people says locking is easy (probably it is with their pedals) despite having the car a realistic brake performance, as you said.

15. 88mphTim

Regarding the FFB at low speed going negative: It's being looked at, but it's not necessarily unrealistic. Many graphs of tire self-aligning torque go negative, particularly at light loads: http://www.creativecarcontrol.co.uk/images/satorque.gif

Although the FFB 'lightness' may also be realistic, this is also being looked at.

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Indeed! They are great at Croft and Sebring too!

And Tim is indeed correct about the AI: You really need a qualifying session to get the right grid order. Once you do that, you're in for a fantastic, tight race. I'm beginning to see their individual "personalities" as well :) It would be great to run a whole season against the AI.

Great great job ISI.

17. 88mphTim

Really pleased with the AI, too. Glad others are seeing it. :) They do indeed have quite different personalities. There are also some things not yet activated which take those personalities further, I guess we'll see those when AI is revisited more.

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I did about 20 laps at Sebring and the car was a joy to drive, though I think the AI needs just a touch of work for Sebring. I was spun twice by the AI drivers who ran into my back end during braking for a corner. Might just be the track though. Overall I give the mod 2 thumbs up. Great feel, great sounds, great fun. :)

The spotter guiding you out of the pits needs a touch of work too, he guided me right out in front of a car heading to the track and spun me.

19. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Im having a lot of disconnections today to meny, notice others having same issue too.

20. Domi

Domi Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012