[WIP] F1 1986

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ChiefWiggum, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I had a link to a youtube video in which Gerhard Berger talked about running different tire compounds on the front and rear of his car after winning his first GP at the 1986 Mexican GP. Unfortunately, the youtube user's account that posted that video was terminated. So it was definitely allowed in 1986 but I don't know when it was no longer allowed.

BTW, I really enjoy this mod. Thanks for all your hard work. It was the first year that I started watching F1 on TV.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Corti likes this.
  2. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Here's a video in which Murray Walker talks about Ayrton Senna pressing the boost button on his steering wheel to get an extra 0.2 bar of turbo pressure:

3. bears

bears Registered

I finally got a chance to try this out it’s a great mod very challenging and very nice graphics chief you are a very talented person ;-)

4. Douglas Taylor

Douglas Taylor Registered

There’s footage of the 1988 Brazilian GP and it’s mentioned during the pre-race that Senna was using two different tyre compounds then as well. I’m not sure at which point all four tyres were forced to be one compound but it was after that season for sure!

5. Douglas Taylor

Douglas Taylor Registered

Theyd have to be careful with the boost settings - you still couldn’t exceed 2.5bar, so effectively this would be a momentary button to open the boost to maximum allowable.
    I can see why you’d only want that for short times - the fuel consumption at full
    Boost must be rediculous!

6. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Moreover than that, was the danger and sheer lunacy of the 1980s-90s machines.
    "In qualifying, you literally had up to 1,500 horsepower," Mansell continued. "It’s reputed that BMW had more and to have wheelspin in sixth gear down the straight, at 175 or 180mph, you cannot put that into words as a driver.
    "At every single corner you came to, the car was literally trying to kill you.
    "You know, at that time, if we were racing at the old Silverstone, for example, you’re going down Hangar Straight with qualifying boost, well in excess of 200mph," he recalled.
    "You’re turning into Stowe corner flat, without a lift, and this is on the old circuit with six-inch-wide poles and wire across them on the outside of the corner as catch-fencing, and you’re running wide and almost hitting these poles.
    https://insideracing.com/index.php/...o-back-to-frightening-cars-like-the-turbo-era

Well we have two facts: they really spin at 6th gear and you can test the downforce going flat on Stowe

DaveS78 and Bill Worrel like this.
  7. Corti

Corti Registered

8. Corti

Corti Registered

F1 tires

Attached Files:

9. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Up until 1987, there was no limit on boost pressure. In 1987, it was limited to 4.0 bars and in 1988, 2.5 bars. Then turbos were banned in 1989. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Formula_One_regulations

nericksenna likes this.
  10. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Oldseb, Duncan and Corti like this.
  11. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Great mod and a handful to drive. :)
    Any chance of a historic edition someday? It's strange to see Ivan Capelli winning a race and watching Ayrton Senna at P20.

12. datasting

datasting Registered

13. Jools

Jools Registered

We are using this mod for an upcoming league. Does anyone know how to enable the "car select" option in the qualifying and warmup sessions?

Currently, we can't use the qualifying engines because you can only choose upgrades in the practice session on our server. The option is locked in qualifying/warmup/race. This means if you choose the qualifying engine in practice so you can use it in qualifying, there is no way to take your place on the grid and switch your engine back to the race engine for the race.

So you would have a very short 2-4 lap race until your engine explodes...

I thought there would be some server setting that would allow "car select" and access to the tuning menu in all sessions.

14. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

I think it is not possible, I think you can't use qualy and race engine in one session

15. Jools

Jools Registered

dreams shattered

Thanks for replying though. It's a great mod.

16. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Can't you mimic the different engines by implementing different boost maps? Wasn't there a mod, maybe a formula based too, that had this feature? Must be one from a long time ago as I really don't remember which mod it was...

17. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

yeah, but then you can also use in race

18. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

As far as I understand it, there was nothing stopping teams from running full boost in the race except that the engine would "grenade" and other components would fail.

19. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

will there be a historical version?

20. smbrm

smbrm Registered

The other point that may be unfamiliar was the use of fuel. Fuel compostition and overfueling, were used up until the end of 1987 as an intake charge coolant. Measureable and significant extra power was achievable by tailoring fuel composition and mixture to allow latent heat of vaporization and fuel quantity(more)to lower intake charge temperature to use higher boost pressures to create power. In 1988 the fuel quantity allowed for the race was reduced to limit the benefit of this performance enhancement strategy.