Environment reflections notes (ReflectionMapper=Staticxyz)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by ethone, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

Like with the wet weather, I'd like to share some initial thoughts and see if someone else has anything else to add:
    - at this point you will have to check your reflection in single player mode. For whatever reason they don't show up in Developer mode. Yes, it's a hassle.
    - the format of the position= line in the .scn is (x, z, y) with z being the height. If like me you're writing your .scn mostly by hand it can be a pain to figure out an issue with one of these mappers if you got it wrong. Like I did. Repeatedly.
    - If you have an enclosed space (like a marshal's hut or the starter's post) with reflective/glassy walls on more than one side, you will have to set that object up to be excluded/not included in the mapper. This will work only if the object in question containing the reflective surfaces is relatively small (like said marshal's hut) - if it is too large you will have to use separate mappers for each side (or even several mappers per side). For example, I ended up using a separate mapper for each of the four sides of the fairly huge restaurant at Fuji (50m in length, 20m in width or so)
    -If you have reflective surfaces stretch a longer distance you might have to split them up into several objects and give each its own mapper. For Fuji I took sections of three the protruding pitbuilding windows, detached each into its own object (~24m in length) and gave each its own mapper. The results are borderline but it helps that the windows are further up. For surfaces that are easier visible I'd chose a shorter length. In essence, you might have to give a distinct mapper to each pane of glass to get correct reflections.
    - for the shader I suggest Cube Map Add Alpha Reflect T1 and Source/Dest Blends like you would for any other kind of translucent material like glass (obviously not needed if you're looking to implement an outright mirror). The amount of "reflectiveness" is then controlled through the alpha channel of your base texture. It seems the environment reflection cube map is always 100% opaque by default unless modified through the shader (dest/src blend don't affect the dynamic environment reflection cube map).

Example with the full reflectiveness (full white alpha channel of the base texture):
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It should work in dev mode.
    Are you talking just about the reflection in glass on buildings etc or the wet road and the car body too?
    When you edit a material are you exporting every object that contains that material?
    Do you have reflections turned on in the options? :p
    Try toggling off/on wind and crowd motion so it will rebuild the shaders.

For the wet road you can manually turn it on in the menu thingy.

It should work in dev mode, if it's not working then its a bug.

I'll have a look into it and see what's going on.

[ED] yep all reflections are working for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  3. ethone

ethone Registered

Yup, it's all turned on and exported fine (it works in SP after all :))

I don't know what's up with my reflections really but in SP they reliably work. In DevMode the wet road reflections sometimes work right, sometimes have weird issues like being monochrome and sometimes don't work at all. I haven't had the environment reflections of the static mappers work in ModDev work even once. All I get is the rF1 cube map.
    Circuit Detail Full, Player Detail Full, Opponent Detail Full, Texture Detail Full, texture Filter Trilinear, Special Effects Full, Shadows Max, Shadow Blur On, Movies On (which I haven't gotten to work either btw), Sun Occlusion Yes, Rain Drops Yes, Road Reflection Yes, Environment Reflection Yes, Wind and Crowd Motion No (previously yes) - no joy.
    I figured it wasn't included in this beta build. If it's a bug this would be hell to track down I guess, I would have no idea where to start.
    View attachment 1094

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Did you know that you have different profiles for single player and dev mode?
    Launch dev mode and see if you have reflections enabled in graphics settings.

It can be useful if you want good framerate when racing and full detail when developing.

5. ethone

ethone Registered

Yes, I knew. I stumbled upon that early as the DevMode defaults are quite low and texture quality is really noticably lower unless you change the DevMode settings. The above settings are from my DevMode profile.