Embarrassing I'm faster with GT3 than GTE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Aug 18, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I took the new Aston out for a few joyride laps at Sebring, since I had previously put in a few sessions there pretending to get ready for the WFG. Lordy how ABS can spoil you. And even worse, I can usually manage a few more kph at the end of the last straight with the GT3 vs the new GTE.(Obviously a better entry)
    Now neither time is worth a damn, but to be a second or so faster with GT3 just shows how driver aids can be a detriment to crap drivers like me. (once you climb back into a car without them)
    I'm sure I can improve the GTE, eventually.... I should take up monopoly.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I think it also happened IRL gt3 ourperforming gte(can't remember where i read it though)
    Sometimes people(especially me back in days) don't think ABS matters that much but after some testing by turning both TC and ABS off i found out that i would rather have ABS than TC that's how important it is for good lap.
    Also gte cars aren't powerful at all for higher class sadly just like IRL not much power than gt3.

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Since it can be deactivated in the garage in rF2, and even before in the showroom, I have never used these aids.

If they exist IRL, I find that driving has such a lower interest with !!

Even IRL, these aids are IMO a shame.

I suggest you drive now without them (you do what you want).

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

From a driving point of view, for yourself, I agree. I too did some (quite slow) laps in the WFG room, with the default aids on, and I find it annoying to not quite know where the limits are because the aids are masking them. I get much more enjoyment out of driving in a more raw and pure form, where traction (or the loss of it) is down to my input alone (which is why I like the historic F3s so much). I've had a similar feeling in the past, even rF1 days, with cars that were intended to be driven with aids.

But, the reason I have driven with those aids in the past, and will do so in future, is that anytime there is competition involved and other people are using those aids, you're tying one hand behind your back by not using them. That can still be rewarding depending on the context (generally, if the competition isn't that serious and you're somewhere up the front, you can even up the field and give yourself a better race by handicapping yourself, plus you have a sense of achievement knowing you aren't cheating (I'm joking! I'm joking! :D)), but if your results matter to you there's really no option.

Sebring is a great example where those aids, if available and used, are a big help. Your feet can't cope with those bumps the same way no matter how good you are.

avenger82 likes this.
  5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I understand your post.

Indeed, it's a shame to have a handicap against competitors.

Nevertheless, for me, it is impossible to consider using these aids.

I prefer the "raw" driving .... and it falls well, I am an offline player, I fight above all against myself + against the AI at 100% (for the moment in qualification mode, because the AI has too many bugs in races).

And I like, without significantly changing the dynamic behavior of the car, make simple adjustments to make the car more challenging.

6. J7166

J7166 Registered

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a BoP update coming for GT3s. I too am faster in Gt3 than in GTE. Yes, some of that is on the driver, but the WFGamer guys are running 1:56s at Sebring which is way too quick for a GT3.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have made about 60-70 laps in WFG2, I was away by 0.2s from my WFG2 best laptime after 6 laps. I didn't try default setup, I have went from memory to similar setup like in GT3. I'm sure I'd do better with GTE with same effort like in GT3.

Car feels a bit different than GT3, at least as much as you can expect from a car that is hardly different. More planted and more powerful, rougher on the edge than GT3, but also a bit forgiving. I am not even sure if GT3 or GTE is more challenging. But GTE feels more like I expect a car feel. Maybe because I was underdriving it, it felt less chaotic than GT3 on same pace, but at the same time rougher. Feels less soapy, but quicker to loose traction, which I like.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I finally got to 2018 Le Mans with the GTE Aston and found I had difficulty managing the tires. If I had any sort of bobble, then the next corner would become very dangerous as the temps would climb as soon as any lateral forces came into play(i.e. turning)
    For example:
    I could catch a near slide and feel pretty good, but soon there after I was usually facing the wrong way at the exit of the next corner.
    This feels like...F1C I think. ISI was beginning to make real progress from it's SCGT beginnings and they were trying to introduce tire heat caused traction loss. So if you messed up a corner, your temps would rise mightily. But the tire could not bleed off that heat fast enough to be safe for the next corner. Over heated tires meant very little traction and off you'd go.
    I'll be the first to say the ABS and TC of the GT3 cars may have deadened my brain, but even trying to manage the tires still saw the brighter shades of the heat scale on the hud. I was running medium compounds fairly low pressures...148f/145R and P2 on the rear wing. I started with P4 but could not catch a Mclaren 650S GT3 even down the Mulsannes.
    I think the most laps without a catastrophic overheating incident was 3. I'd be slow on the outlap, gradually build on lap 2 and then over-cook the tires somewhere in lap 3. Frustrating.

9. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

10. Patrick Schumacher

I believe there is something working wrong in the engine. LMP2 are also that quick...where is the realism?

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

T300, but how is that making the difference ?

12. Patrick Schumacher

I was just interested in. I'm using a T300 as well. But I read many times the ffb is better if you have a superior wheel like v2.5 e.g. and the effects are different, perhaps there are more of them what could help.

13. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I just can approve that too. 2 years I had the TX of Thrustmaster. For 1 week I have the 2.5 and I am thrilled! Significantly more details and stronger FFB. Just when you slip through the curves feels awesome. You feel every jerk in the tire. Fantastic! but you only get that with RF2! Yesterday I started ACC a long time ago. After 30 minutes I had enough. Hardly any feedback and details. You have to guess more than half. RF2 is absolutely awesome and unmatched. In combination with this base (2.5) again much nicer. the upgrade is definitely worth it!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So what was those cars that somehow had no feel in acc and somehow had everything in rf2 ?

15. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

My personal feeling says: There is no better FFB and input to the driver. RF2 is currently the best SIM for me. Ok, fair enough I have to say I never played AMS (no VR). Iracing? No, because it's too expensive and only suitable for online players. This is my opinion.

Try the Norma LMP3 in Atlanta. Hot!!! The car is the Ultimate Challenge. By contrast, nothing comes to my senses .

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, cars are different.

17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I know mate.
    Please dont forget, it is just my personally opinion..

But even the GT3 are for me here 1000x better feel and handling.

Max.B18 likes this.
  18. Patrick Schumacher

Regarding ffb forget about iracing. The weakest among the sims by far.

AMS is strong, very strong. Personal taste if one prefer AMS or rF2. I know some people who clearly describe AMS as benchmark.

muzikant likes this.
  19. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Well... NO VR NO BUY
    But AMS2 is coming

20. Patrick Schumacher

Hopefully with the same bombastic physics and ffb like its predecessor and more crispy graphics than PC2. But my concern is graphics won't be that clear as in part 1. Looking forward to dec, as it could be the new star of the sims.

But I'm going off the topic :)