DTM 2012 Tracks Converted [W.I.P]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EraZr1, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

+1 to John's post. These tracks have no realroad (and by extension, rain will not work), no AI and cause issues with other tracks and mods.

DO NOT download
    DO NOT install
    DO NOT bother.

I DO hope that these tracks are finished but this thread is old enough that it's safe to say they gave up on it.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's what I was always afraid of since the start of RF2, people releasing half hashed conversions and never going back to fix them up properly to RF2 standards, not just these DTM tracks but quite a few others as well. Really is a shame that people either cant find the time to continue them (which is fair enough), lose interest or worse still solely doing it for the purpose that they get it out there "first" before others and get some sort of buzz for it. Unfortunatley in the desperation to race on a well known track people download it and "make do" which turns others away from actually making that track better, the sim racing modding scene at times can be it's own worst enemy!

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

To be fair, EraZr1 tried to convert these tracks but didn't have the knowledge to complete them. That's fair enough and completely understandable. He was very honest about this right from post #1.

The problem is when 'quick and dirty' conversions are released into the community with no communication or statement of intent from the creator. At the very least we should be informed regarding if they are work-in-progress or not. If they are considered complete I won't drive them, simple as that. I'm not going to pretend to be appreciative of work that isn't fit for rF2.

If they are clearly stated as WIP then I'm more than happy to support these projects. I'd like to think that we all can offer feedback and constructive criticism to help the modder.

Sadly we have seen far too many quick and dirty conversions that do not progress beyond that. I haven't got a problem with these conversions per se provided the modder is going to continue working on them and bring them up to the rF2 standard. We have already seen some nice conversions that do just that.

Fortunately the serious track-makers welcome feedback and constructive criticism. They know it helps to improve their project. I'll stick to supporting those guys and enjoying their work.

4. tjc

tjc Registered

Spot on Jamezinho.

:)

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Are these tracks still being worked on? Does anyone have the version numbers of tracks released?

Are they released then abandoned? It would be nice to know their status so that anyone that can help... may be able to offer some assistance with texturing, modelling etc...

6. DA

DA Registered

Maybe i will fix these some tracks for our championship DTM (launch autumn 2014) rF2. But it's only plan without roadmap. Who knows what happened?

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Probably what mostly happens, going half cocked into a bunch of conversions and when reality hits, it appears it's not so easy as it was thought and then abandoned. May sound harsh, but I think pretty accurate for most of these types of topics.
    Of course people will start shouting how unfair, demeaning and demotivating this is.

8. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

.....but exactly right.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

and more importantly:

!

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh, I`d agree here too...

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

What's happening is that converters are finding the conversion to be pretty easy- like converting to rF1. But once they get to realroad, they are having problems. Some give up and release a completely useless track with no RR. Some take the time to figure it out and release the track with RR like they should. I'm pretty sure this topic and this project is dead, these are clearly tracks that are abandoned because the modder could not figure out RR. He'd do best to just release the devmode files so someone else who knows what they are doing can add RR so we can actually use these tracks.

Dear modders: Please don't bother to release rF2 tracks without realroad. The tracks are completely useless- RR is just that important.

12. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

It goes beyond Real Road though. Track mesh, textures, trees and so forth need a complete overhaul in order for a track to look at home on rF2. Just look at McNolo's Bahrain as an example of an excellent conversion.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

as per my post on the previous page, what I feared has scome true in so many areas unfortunatley, thankfully there are a handful of talented folk willing to stick it out and produce high quality works.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Is real road that complicated? Any step by step instructions explaining it? (I will probably answer my own question by going to the Dev Corner :) )