Damage in rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, May 9, 2014.

1. Crippyoh

Crippyoh Registered

I also posted about this , but in the wish list section , and certainly not as a priority ...but hopefully as a eventual cherry on top

2. Coanda

Coanda Registered

What is #1?

head first at Indy at 370kph and all that broke was the front wing :eek::(:confused:

3. coops

coops Banned

what is #1 ? glad you asked a lot of us would like to hear the answer to this...

4. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

I'm an enduracer, so I see the damage as an important part of the simulation. I see the damage in three different ways. Collision, wear and abuse. I think it should be capable to repair all that kind of damage, but the key is time and performance after the repairs. The aerodynamics, alignment, brakes, gearbox and engine are the parts that should get damaged for abuse, wear or collision.

After a big crash, you can get aerodynamic damage, and after a repair you get the car running again but sometimes you can't get the previous final speed. Brakes never end his life. The engine stops running or keep running, but there aren't a misfire or a consequence of abuse that could be repaired.

All that kind of damage could be repair in different ways, or different amount of time. If you have a big crash, you could get the car totally repaired in 3 minutos, or just a light repair in 1 minute to get the car running but with less final speed. Actually you get a total new car when you change the driver in an endurace race.

Modern cars never get damage, but if you want to recreate cars from the 60s, 70s and 80s, all this kind of damage should be take in mind.

5. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I lol'd

6. Kimi450

Kimi450 Registered

I guess making the damage more sensitive would be good till improvements are made (Like you could do in rFactor 1 by doing some editing in the damage.ini file for the mod). Going airborne at 325 kmph should leave the car with only minor suspension damage.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

That part of it is fine, heck most servers are set to 50% damage so obviously there are a lot of people who think it's too sensitive, and I've seen plenty of servers with less or even off. I think people want want BeamNG damage model, which isn't going to happen in the next decade.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Honestly, most of us just want the rF1 damage put back.

9. coops

coops Banned

for now until damage is finished i would have to agree with you on the rf1 damage level being used for now.

10. Jamie Shorting

What is the difference between the two?

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

rF1 has vertex deformation, change of actual shape of the mesh. So your bumper f.e. got a corner pushed in when you hit it

12. Jamie Shorting

ah, makes sense. :)

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Those who run open-wheel cars don't miss the vertex deformation as much as those who run fendered cars.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Generally, I just really miss vertex deformation.
    I wish ISI would put it in rF2. :)

15. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Ye would be cool. The option in exporter and gen file is still there, you can Tick Deform, which as far as i know is what its for, but currently ingame its deactivated for reasons i have never read anywhere. I can only assume that it has something to do with the current colision and damage detection. Or maybe ISI didnt want something like this implemented without it having a realistic effect on aerodynamics. I really dont know, so i only speculate

16. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

It actually wouldn't be a bad idea for ISI to get working on the damage model from a business perspective. Assuming they will do an amazing job, no doubt in my mind that good damage opens wallets.

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm sure they will do it but because the things are much more complicated and the men have also expanded their knowledge in the course of time and also do constantly, it will certainly also much more complicated in this case but better. Hang on, it will certainly be very interesting in the course of time. :)

18. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

Visual body damage would be fun and add to the immersion. The current mechanical damage is very good.

Regardless, I LOVE rF2!

19. coops

coops Banned

agree and you have said it the best out of all replies on why its needed ASAP.......... IMHO.....This is why i say league racing is not at a good enough standard for top level racing..... as its just bump and grind and no ethics needed. which destroys great racing and a fun time. Also it puts more pressure on the admin and rules they set down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I could have sworn that I heard something about a new/updated rF2 damage model a year or 2 ago...