Damage in rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, May 9, 2014.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

I`m all for as much realism as possible and that includes the damage.

2. petersmith

petersmith Registered

Yeah, and we want to simulate the crowd's breath affecting the aerodynamics. :)

3. Radon711

Radon711 Registered

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I am glad I'm not the only one looking for improved damage. :)

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I do not get the preoccupation with crashing.

You want ISI to spend 1000 of hours just so inferior drivers can have a more full filling experience, all at the cost of improving other stuff we all need.

What you describe though may be something to consider with a "full on " rF2 Pro version ( no aids , help , views , etc etc etc )

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

No one here seems to be "preoccupied with crashing".
    Who's talking about inferior drivers? You think only inferior drivers crash? Get real, please.

We're talking immersion here. Read through the posts instead of assuming we're all a bunch of crashing amateurs looking for explosions and showers of debris.
    Also read the first couple of posts regarding the priority of ISI improving the damage model.

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You imply what you like from that.

ISI does not have time to waste on silly damage modelling

please

You can imply I think damage modelling is silly or only bad drivers crash if you want .............. ( rolleyes )

I even said in a PRo rF2 maybe yes. ?

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I don't think I need to imply that you think damage modelling is silly... When you outright state that you think it's silly. :)
    "ISI does not have time to waste on silly damage modelling"... sigh.

Also it does seem that ISI at some point will have the time to improve it.
    But you might know something I don't concerning how the guys at ISI prioritize?

rFactor 2 Pro, what? :confused:

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  9. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

It's not about crashing, it's about simulating reality.

The risk of damaging your car effects the way you drive with respect to both track limits and opponents.
    I want to be penalised for mistakes; whether it be striking a wall or clomping over a kerb.
    Watch an F1 race, look how many bits and pieces they lose (especially front wing end-plates) which detract from their performance.

Compare races with no damage on and 100% damage. Watch how the driving behaviour changes.
    Anything that changes the behaviour or approach to one's driving is an important part of making a simulation closer to reality.

I know I get more satisfaction from driving a lap of Monaco with damage on rather than off.

10. RJames

RJames Registered

Sorry DD, bit my tongue to long. Why are you always on the offensive, anyone puts a legitimate question or idea and you can guarantee your on it like a dog on heat.

As for the damage, absolutely required. Specially in close racing, i want to see damaged panels etc. As for 1000 hours, what makes you think it will take 1000 hours for a feature that was in the previous version and already car files have the vertex damage lines included.

Sure it will take time, is it essential for tomorrow? no. But its very much a required feature for a modern day sim.

- Are you now a ISI spokesman?

I applaud Tim for his patience with you to be totally honest.

11. osella

osella Registered

Yeah I agree with the crowd that thinks damage is very important. Or should be.

Damage shouldn't be looked at as just part of visual candy or some kind of bonus, I can live without visual damage. But the physical apect of it is extremely important. In rf1 the basic damage model works pretty well and it's funny that so many drivers play with little % or no damage at all. Imo you can't say you're playing a sim when you don't drive with damage on. Also if you're driving a track with no collisions, it can no longer be called a sim.
    Really funny is that some people would argue that a simcar with 1% more tyregrip than real is arcade and then they play with no damage.

I still remember when I showed rf1 to my friend, told him how realistic the tyres feel etc. he sait in front of the wheel, plowed into a tree at 200kph and nothing happened. The same nothing happened as it does on many rf1 tracks because modders don't bother with collisions. All he said "so that's it? That's the super ultra simulator where nothing happens when you kiss a tree at 200kph? Very realistic indeed" And I realized how ridiculously right he was. Why do so many of us find it acceptable that simcars are made of indestructible materials and drivers are immortal yet we find it unnacceptable if a car has 5 more hp than it should.

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Sure it would be great to simulate the body properly as well as technical harm which works partially, and the first thing I set is damage to 100%.

The visuals can be discussed but it's true where you normally expect a harm but none is visible it may leave the impression of very cheap work or at least not completely, although with visible damage not well implemented it is also cheap.

Simulating a car fully will continue for some years until it eventually becomes possible, to this date, I see no possibility. It still will require compromises for a long time, therefore, technical aspects would be first priority, where to sell it, unfortunately is poor without eyewash.

13. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

The physics model is finished/or nearly finished. What exactly is it that we all need? Working windshield wipers? Get serious.
    I know many of you want an improved multiplayer, that imo doesn't interfere with the making or implementing of a damage model. It may even improve multiplayer.
    rFactor is not Gran Turismo, so there aren't any crash kids around. The community is mostly mature as I perceive it.

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I rather have parts come off or break then everything bend like it did in motor2 and older. It always looked terrible having carbon fiber chassis bent in crazy angles. rFactor had an issue with certain car parts not being able to dismantle properly, like front wings breaking apart instead of fully falling off, that was a problem.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I remember a year or two ago hearing about rF2 coming up with a new, or at least improved, damage system. I wonder if that is still in the pipeline.

16. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Where exactly did you hear that?

17. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

The shader we have for car bodys allready has something on it but its off sofar. I think that the exterior will get the scratched parts and so on once activated so that is something allready that might look great. With some parts deformation and parts falling off this should be enough.

18. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Your word is good enough for me. Btw, how is development?

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't know where they got to so far, but the idea was scratches and paint transfer. A yellow car hits a black one, you would see black on the yellow and yellow on the black. But as stated in previous reply, none of that is an immediate thing, they actually progressed it while that person had to wait for other code to come in, then he moved back off it.

20. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

That's a start. rF2 is getting better by the minute. With physics complete. (Assumption) Can't you spare a guy to take care of it? Well, on the other hand. Maybe it's better to wait for the damage model until weather stuff is complete.