CSW or T500RS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, Apr 5, 2014.

1. williang83

williang83 Registered

Should i switch from a CSW to a T500RS? is it better?

2. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I haven't tried the CSW myself, but apparently the T500 has a lot more torque, allowing for a wider range of FFB forces. I have the T500 and can vouch that it feels ****ing excellent.

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I came from a csr-elite which has the same base unit as the CSW, so the same ffb motors and gearing ratio, switching to the t500 was the best thing i did. No more worries about he motor dieing on me again (after happening twice in 1 year). On top of that, it was a pleasant surprise to find how much stronger it was compared to my csr-elite.

My original reasons for going with the csr-elite instead of the t500 the first time was that i was under the impression that the csr-elite was the better of the two wheels, would have stronger ffb and be better quality as a whole. It also put me off the fact that the t500 only come with static shifters but after the second motor failure in under a year on the csr-elite i decided i was sick of it all and immediately purchase a t500 and the newly released 458 non-static shifter wheel rim (with the intention of returning it all if i didn't like it which i thought had very good odds of happening).

In hindsight, it would still have been worth getting the t500 even with only static shifters vs the csr-elite.

But that's life....you live and learn. No doubt if i had bought the t500 first i would have wondered if that was the right decision and thinking how much more powerful a wheel i could have had with the csr-elite/csw. So i don't really see it as a negative having gone the route i did.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

+1

Don't know what fanatec were drinking when they decided to go with printer motors.

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Where did you get that info?

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I'm not at my pc ATM but go look up the motors used in the csr-elite and CSW and find the manufacturers site. Describes what they are most commonly used for.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The motors for csr-elite/CSW are Mabuchi RS555PH.

The manufactures own description of application: http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/news/n2000_0410.html

Injet Printers

To read more about it and motor mod for the csr-elite/CSW: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...e-modders-thread-update-february-2014.274631/

Whilst it maybe a bit naive of me to say so, I think it's bat ***t crazy to be paying more for a product that uses much less quality parts where it matters the most.

8. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I had to make this choice last year, and I was at first scared by Fanatec's reputation of having the motors die. I then found out that this was an unfortunate issue with gen 1. I understood that they performed a redesign last year. I bought one last October and have not had one issue with it. I understand this is only 7 months, but the feel is awesome and I just like the solid feel. But this is just my 2 cents.

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Well the motor blocks are exactly the same for both csr-elite and CSW and fanatec said back in 2012 that their first batch of motors were faulty according to the manufacturer. I've had 2 replacements since then, Feb 2013 and December 2013. I heard a so called "redesign" but don't think it's the motors, just the belt.

In either case, if/when your motors fail, fanatec have good customer support in my experience.

10. williang83

williang83 Registered

Thanks all guys, i'm asking this because someone offered me the same money required to buy the T500RS for the CSW base + f1 rim. The point is not the reliability itself but rather the feeling and honestly i'm not that happy with the CSW

11. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

What is it about the feel you don't like? I think you need both rims to appreciate it fully unless you only do karts and modern open wheelers. A wheel is more than just the motors and it really doesn't matter what else the motors are used in. I still have not had the opportunity to try a t500 but changing from a gt3rs v2 (which was good not sure what motor - probably the same!) was a definite upgrade. I know if I try anything else I'm going to be really disappointed with the feel of the rim at the very least. It definitely takes patience and tuning to get the best from any wheel with this software.
    I'm going to go ahead (without any malice) and say I think you have let an unfortunate incident with your csr elite wheel cloud your judgement on the csw Mr DrR1pper, you should try one (with both rims) before you say it's just a csr elite wheel and everyone knows they are rubbish because mine was. I really like my csw, I hope it doesn't break, I will try a t500 one day but it would have to be all kinds of awesome for me to want to swap. Even then I don't think I would, I'd keep them both. :D

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Wow! Really?.... Printer motors?
    I recently sold my G25 and had my 'trusty' old Momo Force fail at the steering shaft during a system on calibration.
    The next new wheel was going to be a CSW.
    I'll be doing way more research before 'plunking' down that money.
    Thanks for this info.

13. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

A motor is coils of wire and magnets, what difference does it make what manufacturers decide to put those motors in? I would have thought they decided to go with a proven manufacturer of motors the same as the printer company?

I can assure you they feel pretty strong, and if you have ever had your hand assaulted by the head of an inkjet printer you will know they can deliver some torque.

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

The motor being used in (big a**) inkjet printer doesn't mean anything. It's a multipurpose motor. It's the same thing how I built my home motion simulator with windshield wiper motors from a car. The same thing with CSW, if the motors are good, why not?

I'm probably one of the lucky people that are very pleased with the CSW having none of the motor problems. Few nights ago I was driving karts for about 3h straight with small pauses now and then, and haven't noticed any dropdown in FFB like people are saying that they are losing it after 20-30 minutes. And karts are pretty FFB powerful. That was with using FOR setting at 100, and it can go all the way to the 400 where you can't move the wheel, talking about motors torque and strength. The furthest I got was driving at For 160-180 in car, and my hands soon started to bother me.

I've bought my CSW in Oct/2013, they were out of stock at the time so I had to wait a bit, I probably got the good batch of units with good motors.

The CSR-Elite was known for motor troubles, I belive they had different ones from CSW and they had problems. Maybe it's the one of the reasons why they discontinued to product CSR-Elite anymore.

And to compare CSW quality of built with T500, the CSW is just on another level. The fine stainless steel built of CSW base, the feeling of both solid Bmw and F1 rims with alcantara can't be even compared to plastique T500. I would pay some extra money for quality work anytime.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  15. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Probably in a different thread but could you please elaborate on this. I have seen a few things on the subject, but a quick post with how you did it and links to where you got your info and parts from would be cool.

16. williang83

williang83 Registered

Thanks all, i decide to sell it today. I'll see if i'll buy the t500rs but i don't think so. I guess i'm calling out from racing game for a while.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

My experience is purely to do with ffb strength (which shoild be exactly the same as they use the exact same base unit unless of a software difference could make a difference despite the same hardware) and the weight of the csr-elite rim is much lighter than any of the CSW rims so force is not going to be as dampened as the CSW.

There are some things I can justifiably assume to be true without trying a CSW. I've never questioned the quality of the CSW rims and have always aired on the side of them being better.

FYI, I found my g25 to csr-elite to be a big leap and I was very happy with it (most noticeably that I could feel the Formula 2 cars ffb at all vs on the g25. But that leap pales in comparison to the leap from the csr-elite to the t500.

Sorry for any errors, been awake for over 24 hours having just arrived in hong kong.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Can anyone show that the CSW use different model motors please? If not, it's almost certain to be the exact same and there's no reason to believe otherwise.

I used to make up internal reasons to be pleased and satisfied with my wheel but I soon learned to accept fact that my csr-elite was just bad. Take what you will of it but when your CSW goes too (yes, I'm betting it will) don't wait for it to break again outside your warranty. Sell it, get an alternative.

Whoever mentioned quality has a very limited definition of quality to the parts they like/care about the most of their wheel. Not very fair or honest review of its total quality. I've always said, the rims and material are indeed splendid but knowing what I know now, it's similar to gameplay vs graphics. Graphics mean ***t without good gameplay.

19. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

No but why is the whole wheel the motor? You can't assume without trying it, well you can but you know what they say about assume.

Dude enjoy HK - stop logging on here!

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Well if I know that the gameplay is bad, it's irrelavent if it's paired with good or bad graphics (at least for me).

Crysis had fantastic graphics, tried to like te gameplay as much as I could because I wanted to keep admiring te graphics but ultimately was a one off boring experience at its core.

And great gameplay can superceed the strongest of photorealists....why I stuck like gum under a shoe with rf2 immediately despite the graphics not being that great at the start.