Crashing to desktop

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DJ SkorpX, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Registered

I have exactly the same issue.

I have tried all of the normal tricks (common/support/runtime - redistributables). I have tried making administrator files, as read in another thread, uninstalled, reinstalled, common/support/directx), i have verified the game files and no issues come back. As above, all other games work absolutely fine, but rFactor2 will not play on any cars, any tracks and i can even get it to crash by just going single player (no AI) and sitting in the settings page!!!

Computer is fairly new with loads of memory, up to date system, up to date drivers, i am all out of ideas, any help would be appreciated, because at this very moment i want my money back.

CPU - Intel i5 9600k (pre-binned at 5.0GHz
    Power Supply - 650W bronze power supply
    CPU Cooler - Liquid Cooled
    SSD - WD Blue 500GB
    RAM - Cosair Venegence 16GB
    GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080ti

2. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Have you done a trace file? Also are you running any plugins? I read some of your other posts: Is it happening at all tracks or a specific one?

3. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Registered

Its happening at all tracks and with any car.
    I have checked all my drivers and they are all up to date with best versions.

i am not adverse with trace files (or even what that means).

I am not using any plugins, no. Any help is appreciated as always.

4. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Have you also tried it with fresh User Files?
    If not, before you start the game, rename the folder
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData
    into
    UserData_Backup for example and then start the game.

nonamenow likes this.
  6. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Registered

I have just reset my clocks to factory and verified files in the game before hand restarted PC and ran a trace file (+trace=3) in single player mode.

Please find trace files attached. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

7. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Did you also do as Bernd suggested? We need to wait for one of the guys who understands Trace files better than me. They'll get you up and running.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That onfatalerror 11 is starting to crop up all over the place. No idea what it is.

Random thought: @Dave Burns Have you changed your windows virtual memory settings at all?

9. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I noticed one user who had the "onfatalerror 11" was running onboard video. Maybe not selecting his card in video settings?? Possible maybe??...:)

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

In one of the trace files is the error "onfatalerror 11".
    I also have had this error, with a track where the link to the tdf file in the gdb had a slash instead of a backslash.
    And the game crashed.
    I would suspect that you have more than 1 silverstone version installed, where one of them causes that crash, because the S397 track loads properly.
    Use another track, to see if that solves the problem.
    If it crashes again, do what i have suggested in my former post.
    If it still crashes, post the trace from that session again.
    And do you use the beta with the new UI?

11. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

This may be of help, I had a similar problem sometime ago.
    Ensure you have these 4 programs installed. Screen shot below. If you have, run each one starting at the top, I think it sets up Microsoft Visual C+ and Direct-X.
    If you haven't got these programs I think you can get them from Microsoft or google it. Copy them to rFactor2/Support/Runtimes folder and run from there. Not sure whether you need the 2012 versions. Hope this may be of help. I tried enclosing a zip file of the programs but it wouldn't allow me to. Good luck.
    Screen.jpg

12. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Registered

Thanks for the responses guys. As I am new to the sim world I am on a steep learning curve. I haven’t changed any settings in windows and the computer is new with Windows 10 pro installed on it.
    my rFactor2 defaults to Auto in the video settings, but I always change it to run with the Nvidia graphics card, but this still gives me the crashing issue.
    I posted the trace file for Silverstone in any old car, but it will crash on any track in any car and most of the time I don’t even get to the position to race on track. It will crash even when I am changing simple things in the settings or car setup.
    I have checked the 4 redistributables in the runtimes folder and have ensured they are working. I have also set them as administrator before as another post mentioned these. I will try and few things and a few different track / car combinations and post the trace files for them.
    As always, your help is appreciated.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

All the errors are assigning shaders to Silverstone. Which suggests either his videocard is not dx11 compatible or he has duplicate track installs where the sim is trying to place new shaders on an old track. Now the NV 1080 is clearly dx11 ready, so he needs to scour his install for another version of Silverstone and delete it. Use mod manager perhaps??

14. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Registered

Its still crashing at the slightest thing. I have added some more trace files as the other suggestions all pointed to Silverstone, but it freezes or kicks me out at any track and in any car.....

Attached Files:

15. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Registered

Here are some more if it helps. I am totally lost and getting so frustrated with this game. I am running in a championship, but i have only managed 2 of the 5 races as the game boots me out and i end up missing qualification and them ultimately the race!

Attached Files:

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It looks like it's just crashing completely at random times, unrelated to what the game is doing. Have you stress-tested the pc? It seems like a hardware stability issue.

17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

It seems as if you always use the same mod.
    Can you please use an original S397 car and track and try it again?
    If it still crashes, upload that trace again.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Also noticed your wheel is reporting 100 degrees rotation - is that right? Since it seems to be crashing pretty consistently at random times including in the UI, try without your wheel plugged in.

19. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Registered

I have my wheel on 100 degree rotation when using kart sim, as its far more realistic than the normal 900 for cars. i have previously tried unplugging the wheel and using the keyboard, but i had the same issues with it kicking me out.
    I am unsure what you mean about using the "same mod" as mentioned before i am fairly new to the gaming world and not certain on terminology. I have just been using the cars / tracks and karts that i have purchased the software for. When i did the first trace file, i literally selected any random car and any random track, that just so happened to be a Honda Civic at Silverstone.

I will try a couple of things tonight and add the trace files on my next post later today. I cant seem to get any track or car to work without it freezing or crashing.

As for the PC hardware, i had previously turned the clocks of completely and still had the issue. When i clocked the computer settings, i did not push it too far as there was no need, but i did extensive stress testing on the CPU and GPU (FurMark Application) and it passed with flying colours.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well if you ever get it working properly the game can adjust to the correct steering lock for you - either the built-in option or you can configure a software steering lock.

Those traces are all ending in different places, don't seem to show anything too critical ('usual' errors only), a couple seem to have been interrupted which is strange and suggests the process ending prematurely and not related to anything the game itself is trying to do (it'll usually crash/stop on startup, and then at certain points - not just sitting in the UI, or on the second run after you just drove for a bit and exited back out). That's why it looks like a hardware issue. I don't know if we can see anything in the game, because I doubt the problem lies directly with it.

*Have you checked the windows event viewer to see if any errors are reported at the time?