Caterham windshield at London ePrix

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bernat, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Bernat

Bernat Registered

After a few laps of the practice session, in the inner section, the windshield starts reflecting the ground and it makes a very weird effect because it shouldn't reflect the ground below/behind the car and it looks magnified. The windshield looks a bit like a broken TV doing static noise.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

This has been noted by several users, often after some damage at many different tracks. Beyond that, I do not know if a fix has been found yet.

3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I know there's been some messages about milky and dirty windshields but no one posted a bug thread for it.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

Unfortunately we can not check it by ourself anymore, due to the Encryption.
    But i would suppose that the Windshield is attached to a Mesh that is tagged with Damageable=True.
    At least that was the Reason i've found for another Car, that did have a similar Problem.

5. svictor

svictor Registered

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

7. Bernat

Bernat Registered

How would damage add more and wrong reflections?

8. redapg

redapg Registered

I have seen it happen with a Windscreen, that was attached to the Body, which uses Damage in the Shader and even if the Windscreen did use the normal Windscreen Shader it was affected, if the Body was damaged.
    So it must be something in the Games Code.
    But it is only a Guess, as said.

svictor likes this.
  9. svictor

svictor Registered

it's highly likely, as I once had same issue with a mod. And there is a little more in this case:
    The actual windscreen GMT file is called _CAT_AC_WINDSHIELD_OUT.gmt, while this is a separate GMT without damage tag (as revealed from GEN temp file under dev mode). My guess is that maybe another body GMT(that has damage tag) also has a part that uses the exact same windscreen glass shader, which when body gets damaged, it maybe somehow creates a link and applies "damage" to all GMT files that contains this windscreen glass shader even if they don't have damage tag.

redapg likes this.
  10. redapg

redapg Registered

As far as i understood it, the Effect affects only the Inside Windscreen, that you see in Cockpit View.
    When i have some Time and it wasn't fixed already, i will try to investigate a bit more too. :)

Manfredk2 likes this.
  11. svictor

svictor Registered

yes, the gmt file is called "out", but this is the actual gmt file that causes this issue. because I have made a test patch to remove this gmt and it removes entire windscreen and cured this problem(except there is no more windscreen).:)

12. redapg

redapg Registered

Ah OK, it's really a Shame, that we don't get Access to the DLC Gen Files.
    (I don't think that they contain any High Security Information, that they must be stored in the encrypted mas File.)
    With that, we at least could create some own Fixes until S397 fixes the Problems.

svictor and davehenrie like this.