Can not host...I believe I opened/fowarded ports in my router.

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by TIG_green, Jan 4, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

F yeah :) Thank you all that contributed!

Unfortunately no time to play now... some not so patient people waiting for me :D

2. canastos

canastos Registered

Great!
    Where was the trouble, maybe histerycal firewall??

byyyyyyyye

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Tosch gave me the right port numbers to open... the ones in multiplayer.ini did not work for me. Also took some time to figure out what is my internal IP.

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Were you looking at the right multiplayer.ini?

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I was looking at the one that was in userdata/player/multiplayer

6. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

When you start the dedicated server you can select a player profile (at the first screen, first drop down, not sure exactly what it is labeled). If you selected something other than "player" in that drop down, then you have too look at that file instead (or you can just search your computer for any other multiplayer.ini files, those ports must be in one of them).

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I do not have any other choice there than "player". Also did a quick search and did not found any other multiplayer.ini file. For some reason those ports that Tosch gave me were the right ones and the ports I have in multiplayer.ini did not work. ( I have opened both, but joining was possible only when I opened the ports Tosch gave me). Anyway it is working for me now :p

8. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

That's weird then, maybe another bug. But the main thing is that it works! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

If you are unsure what ports are opened by an application download SIW - System Information for Windows (Great Tool). Start the application you would like to check (rF2 dedicated server for example) and when the server is running start SIW to check for open ports.
    SIW - Open Ports
    Sort the list by program (PID) and you will see something like this.
    SIWports.JPG
    rFactor2 Dedicated.exe is listening on ports 54347 TCP and 64297 TCP, 54297 UDP is open (UDP is a stateless protocol) and there is already an encrypted connection (remote port 443, SSL port) to the matchmaker. The connection on Port 443 is initiated by rFactor2 Dedicated.exe, so there is no need to forward the local ports (63086,63091) in your router.

Ports needed to be forwarded in this case are
    UDP 54297
    TCP 54347
    TCP 64297

Please check out the other cool things you can do with SIW. Check the "Licenses" for example. Very useful if you have forgotten you Windows serial. :cool:

1 person likes this.