Can not host...I believe I opened/fowarded ports in my router.

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by TIG_green, Jan 4, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Any instructions for a dummy. I can connect my game when I choose local connection, but not otherwise. I checked the ports from multiplayer file.

2. canastos

canastos Registered

And that's how it should be if you are hosting and playing on same computer or same LAN; would be an issue if nobody else could connect to your host from another location; if your server is up at this moment, I could try to join and check if it works :)

byyyyyyyyyye

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Hi... not quite sure what you mean...why could I not join my own game :eek:

But anyway... I loaded a game name "Tig_test"... would appreciate if you would test that.

4. Traveller

Traveller Member

I could not join "Tig_Test"-- "Server connection Failed". I was able to join "! Eurosim Barber", though, as a test that I could join a server.

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

hmm...so if I set up a game should I be able to join that game myself by just pressing "join" or does host always have to join with local connection? If so, then I have to open those ports again because I deleted them when I though it does not work when I could not join just with "join" button.

Do I have to foward all these ports?:

WAN Query Port
    WAN Join Port
    LAN Query Port
    LAN Join Port
    HTTP Server Port

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

NAT management and port redirection

I think I have that kind of headline for fowarding ports in my router...sounds right?

And there are following headlines:

Application Protocol Source port Destination IP Destination port Delete Change

So I though I type "rfactor2" as application for every port and then put port numbers to "source port" and "destination port". Not sure what to put into "destination ip". My own ip? Protocol would be TCP+UDP to every port?

7. canastos

canastos Registered

I meant that, effectively, you must check "local connection" if you want to join your own server (assuming it's on same machine or same LAN)
    About NAT, destination IP refers to your local LAN IP (something like 192.168.1.2), and about protocol, I guess TCP would be enough, but won't hurt selecting both TCP and UDP
    Also, knowing your local IP, you could use an option called DMZ, instead of NAT, enabling it only temporarily, while playing, in case your router allows this option

If you are still online, I will try to join now; been away from my computer for a while ;)

byyyyyyyyyyye

8. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Howdy,

When I ran F3 Fanatics! from my home, I had to leave the "local connection" set to be able to connect to my own server.

The http server port is for allowing people to download content from your server... vMODs.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

What about source port and destination port in NAT? Should I type these port number to those boxes? (the same port number to both?):

WAN Query Port
    WAN Join Port
    LAN Query Port
    LAN Join Port
    HTTP Server Port

Not online anymore because clock is 1.25 am here :D

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I tried everything and it wouldn't work

The only thing I did that made it work is :

-Reset your router back to factory settings (obviously set your wifi password )

-Forget about port forwarding

-tick the DMZ thing

-don't keep critical info on your pc I.e bank details etc

There you go it should work now

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Have anybody tried Hamachi? It should create a connection between two (or more) remote computers so that you can play a LAN game instead of WAN, but I could not get that to work either. But I am not sure how to use it tough.

About the thing you said Adrian... does somebody have access to my files if I do the thing you recommended? ( "-don't keep critical info on your pc I.e bank details etc")

12. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

rF2 always requires connection to ISIs matchmaker even for LAN server, so real LAN server does not really exist so I have doubts that Hamachi would work.

About router settings:
    Application - doesn't really matter what you enter, it is just a label for you so you know why you opened that port
    Protocol - rF2 uses TCP and UDP ports so select both
    Destination IP - is your own internal IP (usually 192.168.1.X or 192.168.0.X), make sure it doesn't change or you will need to change this router setting too
    Source port and Destination port -these are the same numbers as in multiplayer.ini and are both the same

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thanks Abriel, you always give good info :)

About the internal IP: Is it the same that I get from run:cmd, ipconfig or the one I get from "whatismyip.com"? Because they are different. First is 192.168.xxx.xx (there is also 192.168.xxx.x) and the second is xx.xxx.x.xxx. So totally different... not sure which one of these three is my internal ip?

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Your internal IP is 192.168.xxx.x (Private network)

15. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

The one on "whatismyip.com" is your "outside" IP, that is not what you need in this case.
    So its one of the 192.168. IPs.
    The right one should have the first 3 numbers the same as when you connect to your router.
    For example if you connect to your router with "http://192.168.1.1" your private IP is also 192.168.1.X (x is something other than 1, and less than 255).
    You can probably see your IP on your router via current status page (or whatever it is called, depends on router model).

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I can tell you that I can only go to my router info with the ip I got from whatismyip.com. Other IPs (192.168.xxx.x(x) says "failed to connect".

Tosch said that the internal IP is the one ending with.x and you said that it is the one ending with .xx. So which one? :)

You also said that it is the one with which I can connect my router, but I can only connect my router information with the xx.xxx.x.xxx IP.

So confused.

You can test if you can connect my server...name is Tig_test... I have used 192.168.xxx.xx IP as an internal IP for now. I opened all the ports except HTTP server port.

17. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Nope, can't connect to your server.
    If you are not sure what your IP is just open all ports for both IPs (192.168.xxx.x and 192.168.xxx.xx).
    Also make sure you also allow dedicated server through windows firewall (or disable it for now).

About accessing router - you can enable to access it from the outside (you obviously have that enabled). But by default it is not enabled as it is a security risk (someone from outside can access your router and mess with its settings if he somehow gets to know your router username/password).

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I did not use 192.168.xxx.x beacuse it's ending with 1 and you said that internal IP must end with greater number than 1 and less than 255 so only 192.168.xxx.xx fullfills that condition.

So do I still try to open ports with IP 192.168.xxx.1?

I did not have to give any username or password to my router at any point...

And I do not use windows firewall...it is disabled. I have allowed dedicated server from my f-secure firewall.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  19. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Yea just forward ports to both IPs (1 is not a valid number for the example I gave where router has the 1, but if router has something else 1 is a valid number).

20. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Ok. Now ports with both the 192.168.xxx.1 and 192.168.xxx.xx IP are open and the game is set up. Anyone to test? Game: Tig_test.