[REL] Caesars Palace Grandprix Circuit, Converted From RF1

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jul 2, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

So i had an idea about a conversion of the track when i found the old Rfactor 1 version and decided to convert it to rfactor 2 and upgrade it.

Old currently repurposed temporary parkinglot circuit in the Caesars Palace Parkinglot In Lasvegas, USA. It's a 3.650 km (2.268 mi) long track with 14 corners.

There had been Can-Am races at the Stardust International Raceway in the mid to late 1960s, but that circuit was bought by developers and then demolished in 1970. The first race was originally supposed to take place as the last race of the 1980 season on November 2, 4 weeks after the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen.
    But when Watkins Glen went off the schedule after 1980, the Caesars' Palace Grand Prix gained importance, and more effort was put forth by Bernie Ecclestone and others to make sure this Las Vegas race went ahead. The new race ended the year, whereas Long Beach, only 300 miles away, started it.
    But Las Vegas was not as popular among the drivers as Long Beach, primarily because of its flat, repetitive nature of the circuit, its parking-lot location and Las Vegas itself. It has also been described as one of the worst circuits Formula One has ever visited.

The track was laid out in the parking lot of the Caesars Palace hotel and was set up for a temporary circuit. Wide enough for overtaking, it provided ample run-off areas filled with sand and had a surface that was as smooth as glass. Its counter-clockwise direction, however, put a tremendous strain on the drivers' necks.
    When Nelson Piquet clinched his first World Championship by finishing fifth in 1981, it took him 15 minutes to recover from heat exhaustion after barely making it to the finish.
    The 1982 race, held in intense heat — another unpleasant feature of this race — was won by Michele Alboreto in a Tyrrell, but that was the end of Formula One racing in Las Vegas, since the races had drawn only tiny crowds and the 1981 race turned out to be a huge loss for the hotel.

This track is old track made for rfactor 1 by EKO Sim-Racing from around 2010, and he will release a updated version of the track in 2022 for another sim that i will probably convert to rfactor 2
    I do have permissions from him to convert the old track and touch it up for more modern standards
    And the conversion is made by me EmperorOfFinland

Under developement

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Stardust is available for AC, conversion perhaps?

3. EmperorOfFinland

I have not done a single AC conversion and if i will do one i will do eläintarharata by sergio loro from AC as its a finnish track.

4. EmperorOfFinland

I have been planning to develop the surface a bit more but i have forgotten how @svictor told me how to do it, as i could play some experiments on this surface to give it slightly more bumps than none. so if someone remembers how to modify the mesh bumpiness on blender it would be rather good as i could do the upgrade pretty quickly as a result as im out of simracing for a month atleast.

5. Mauro

Mauro Registered

6. EmperorOfFinland

Yeah but more exact values on how it feels good as the importation is kinda slow to do. and it has to be done with trial and error

7. EmperorOfFinland

Okay since i found out after i made the track that the version i was using was modified illegally by someone else without the permissions from original creator i decided to pull the track from steam workshop until i manage to convert the original version of the track what i aquired from the original dev.

This is going to basically mean i have to redo the entire conversion and throw even more upgrades to the track itself ie create new assets and so on. so i dont expect this version to be available for 1-3 months from now as i cant use the assets the illegally modified version had. Meaning i have to go and recreate said assets myself on blender and that is going to slow down the progress. Mostly this means i have to recreate the roadsurface partly and also recreate the barriers and adding more objects to the trackside.

So this thread can be switched to WIP as its going to take time to remake the entire conversion.

So yeah its my error for not realising it was modified. So unfortunately you have to wait for a new release whenever i get it done.
    This is something i have found to be a problem on old tracks as the links for them are basically dead and they are becoming hard to get.

Raven80 likes this.
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

All I have

upload_2021-7-11_11-1-31.png

9. EmperorOfFinland

Yeah i had the first version probably. and the one im working on now is the 0.9 beta.

I will put the whole project to backburner and do something else instead, as i can still enjoy the track personally atleast but not share it to others. and if the new version gets made in 2022 we dont have to probably wait more than a year for it anyways. I will try to slowly make the version but it will require major work in blender. especially as i probably have to fix the barriers and stuff. unless you just want the barebones version with a new mesh. and AI upscaled textures. that should be pretty quick to make.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  10. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i managed to automate the textureconversion so it was easier than i thought. i also AI upscaled all textures and stuff is looking surprisingly crisp now as i made the textures 4x what they used to be. so tomorrow i have to start fixing the pitlights and after that i need to rename some textures and rename the roadside objects as they were one big blob to get realroad working. so i can get it booted to rfactor 2.

11. GT_ONE

GT_ONE Registered

news for this track ?

Damatta39 and haunetal1990 like this.
  12. Damatta39

Damatta39 Registered

Unfortunately, it seems difficult to get anything new, such as the Phoenix 91 track which has been waiting for years.
    Fingers crossed

GT_ONE likes this.
  13. EmperorOfFinland

I have ported another version but the problem is that i would have to redo the spec maps so the map would work properly and since the process is fully manual i have not felt inclined to do that. since its around 350 textures that you have to create by hand. I would also have to fix the AI lines perhaps for the track.