Build300: Massive lag when playing

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by ViSo, Sep 9, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Then can you explain why other internet services are also failing on your PC? You have a PC problem related to your connection.

?

1000 threads, 6300 posts, most of them from prior builds and solved threads... If I pruned out posts which are no longer current, you wouldn't see many at all, actually. :) There's more in both the modding and modding release forums than in tech support, so I am not sure why you think tech support is larger?

:)

2. ViSo

ViSo Registered

Technical suport: +1000 Threads
    Mods release and wip: +300 Threads
    So, Technical Support is by far the larger, if you cant see this, it explain why you can not see that:
    only when I start the game and join a server, the 2.000ping come back, and just leaving the server, the connection is working fine again

3. 88mphTim

And now by posts, the things people actually do to make a thread and forum more active: Tech support 6300. Modding 15200. Mod release 23600. Bored yet?

I suggest again that you contact your ISP. The server list is TEXT. Loading a server list is not representative of how your connection is going to handle multiplayer racing. You can't compare a ping after loading a list of text, with a ping when you are connected to a server and using your connection. Have your connection checked.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

When you removed the track map plugin did you also remove d3dx9.dll?

5. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

had this problem for years in rF1. it comes down to hardware mismatches on network hardware. for me it was always easy to blame the router 'cause I always bought the cheap ones, but hell it could be a stupid cat5 cable. the real cure came when I got modem, router, and wifi all in one unit. a bit pricey but you get what you pay for, and no problems since on rF1 or 2.

6. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Have you tried to monitor your network connection while loading the game/server list? ..
    I had some similiar issues a while back and to comfirm my prob i would Start task manager select the networking tab , make sure no programs that use networking are open , with nothing started yet it should read 0% ..if you see activity before you launch somthings up ! for me i had a 15-20mbs spike happening every 10 to 15 seconds ! big red flag ..i did a scan and found a spam bot trojan that some website planted on me to track activity .. bastartds! ..this caused horrable lag and disconnects in some cases !

Might be worth a try .. ?

Hope you get it sorted , I can asure you its not the game causing these disconnects .. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  7. ViSo

ViSo Registered

@Tim
    cannot say anything that I not said before, however, I can repeat it: is not my internet connection, i-s _ n-o-t _ m-y _ i-n-t-e-r-n-e-t _ c-o-n-n-e-c-t-i-o-n, is a bit frustrating to speak to a wall ...

@Noel
    ofcourse ;) I removed everything is in the rar file.

@Moe
    I already have a modem/router/wifi all-in-one, it is pretty common here, the ISP give it to you when you contract them, and mine is less a year old.

@kro388th
    Im confused now, thanks for that info.
    Yesterday after posting here I completly removed rFactor2, and installed it in another folder (before was at c:/rFactor2/..., and now is at c:/rFactor/...), and just installed one car and one track, and tryed 5 laps, was working fine, then I copied my userdata backup, and did 5 laps more, was still fine, then installed Dashmeterpro and motec plugins, and did 5 laps more, was still fine, today I tryed again, without doing anything, just join the same server, and exiting the pits the problem is back, I did not installed trackmap, so I can confirm is not the trackmap plugin (is good info for me).

Why Im confused? I monitored my network connection, and is always in 1.7% while playing (well, 1.6% <-> 1.7%, but linear), and 0% in desktop, but 1.7% while playing and getting that 2.000ping, how can it be posible?

Im pretty sure it is the game, you are all thinking Im crazy, but you have to be there, is the game Im pretty sure.

EDIT:
    1 - here an screenshot while in desktop: http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5051/wxl2.png (note: every line is 6sec, 10 lines, is a minute, there are 60 lines, this image shows 6min.)

2 - here an screenshot while playing:http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4030/712.png (note: red-graph-line: Bytes Sent / yellow-graph-line: Bytes Received / green-graph-line: Total.)
    A: Here I uploaded the first screenshot, that is the upload/edit post.
    B: Here I was in server list, getting the server list.
    C: The spike before that, I joined the server, Here, I started to run, the lowest thing between joined server and running time, is the ''disconect'' the rFactor2 do for plugins.
    D: over there I started getting 2.000ping, is not usually to take that time, usually just leaving the pits it start, but I did a full outlap fine and in the last turn I got the message ''syncronizing'', that message allways appear when start the massive lag.
    E: Here I got the ''connection lost'' message, Im running, but without getting information from server.
    F: Here I come back to server list, getting the server list again.

3 - Here a second try while playing: http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7121/w089.png
    A: Getting the server list.
    B: Joined the server, notice this is longer, thats because I waited more time in lobby before pressed the start button to run, then the ''disconnect'' the rFactor2 do for plugins.
    C: Im in track, working fine for now.
    D: ''syncronizyng'' and 2.000ping is back, I stop the car and went back to lobby.
    E: Pressed the start button to run, and then the ''disconnect'' the rFactor2 do for plugins.
    F: the entire running time with 2.000ping, and I stop the car and went back to lobby, and then did another run, with the same procedure. But this time the connection was fine!, I dont know why/how is fixed, is the first time I got it fixed.
    G: ''syncronizyng'' and 2.000ping is back, I continue running.
    H: ''connection lost'' message.
    I: Getting server list again.

Hope that info helps.

8. canastos

canastos Registered

Any security software at your computer (antivirus at less)?
    It sounds to me like lots of malware going around your system; better check it (safe mode, please) ;-)

byyyyyyyye

9. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

@ ViSo I recently had a similar problem in that at times I was getting dropped from the server for no apparent reason that I could find. I was also getting distortion in TS when it happened. It wasn't till one of the times I dropped and a friend who was on TS at the time noticed that I was getting packet loss. Up until that time, I thought it was down to the server. After all, all my other internet use was perfectly fine with no problems. But that persuaded me to check out my ISP. On the status page for my ISP under my local area I did indeed discover that they were having intermittent connection problems which were causing issues when connecting to external sites. Once they had completed their repairs, all was back to normal and I could once again race without getting disconnected. It hadn't been severe enough to cause problems in normal internet use but it did cause problems when I put the heavier demand on my system that online racing produces. I strongly suggest that you Follow Tim's advice and Contact your ISP and get them to check your line.

10. ViSo

ViSo Registered

Ok, so still thinking this is my computer and/or my connection:
    1 - here an screenshot from another game (Left 4 Dead 2), with 4 players, Im who had the better connection: http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3842/1qev.png
    (I wasnt the host, because I joined an already started game, just to play for some minutes and check my ping all the time, was fine)

I dont have more ''updated'' games installed, I have 3 more games installed, but I only play rFactor2, and they are outdated, and cant play multiplayer.
    My mother watch online series, I see youtube videos, that is not heavy demand? I download some things, everything works correctly.

@canastos
    I have ''Microsoft Security Essentials'', I did a full scan and got 0 results, no troyan/virus.

11. 88mphTim

Isn't it. Something is affecting your connection. You seem to have a capped connection to me, looking at the graphs you posted. That would be worth contacting your ISP to check. If it is having to sync like that, it's already lost the connection, effectively. Your own graphs support that you DO HAVE A CONNECTION PROBLEM - whether caused by your ISP, or something else, calling your ISP should be your first thing to eliminate.

Comparisons with L4D are ludicrous. Their requirements for multiplayer are COMPLETELY different.

12. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

@Viso when I had the problem I mentioned in my last post, I could also use you tube with no problems it turned out that the problem was intermittent so there were times I could stay on the server for a while and other times it would drop me on exiting the garage. Right now you are unable to use the sim properly, so why are you so reluctant to contact your ISP and have them check for you? That is what you pay your subscription for and as things stand now, you have nothing to lose by having them check. If they come back and give you a clean bill of health then at least one possibility has been eliminated and you can begin to look elsewhere for the problem.

13. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Also, could you also try connecting a second device to the network? When this high ping occurs, can you still connect to the web on the other device? Or does the issue remain local on your computer only?
    It's very likely that something is flooding a buffer somewhere, whether that's on your NIC or in your router. Either way, rF2 is merely bringing this issue to the surface. In this day and age there is no way a piece of software could ask your NIC to self-destruct basically, unless your system is somehow compromised. MSE should do a good job, but I would also recommend a full Spybot scan ...

14. ViSo

ViSo Registered

I tryed Battlefield 3 for a 15min, fully smooth, 64ping in a german server (Im from Spain, and the ping is around this), and fully stable without disconection. I think Battlefield 3 is sufficient enougth, isnt it?
    Thats while playing BF3: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9806/hq9m.png

@Luc Van
    Yes, it ocurred once while having that 2.000ping, my brother in his computer asked me if I was doing something with net because he was unable to enter a website, just leaving the server he was able to do it fine, that is another colateral damage, like my problem with Teamspeak.

15. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I give up! There is no helping some people.

16. 88mphTim

No.

17. ViSo

ViSo Registered

Ok, I did the call, they told me that everything is working fine, there is any issue, and if I want I have to change the ethernet cables to try bla bla bla, no problem with my Internet confirmed by my ISP.

@Tim
    Please, can you tell me another multiplayer game that can be compared with rFactor2? or some of them, to find a game that I already have, I will not buy a game just to try :)

18. 88mphTim

Ok, so what you've done is, if they are correct, ruled out an issue between the ISP and the local exchange in your neighborhood. Firstly, I'll hope you don't have an issue between the local exchange and your home as I've had before in the USA, my parents have had before in the UK, etc. Second, we can talk about all the issues you can have with your PC that affect this. In my opinion (and Lucs), next thing would be to try another spyware checker.

I'm not aware of one. rF1 probably comes closest, iRacing probably not as much, but I think they are both lighter on requirements. AC may end up being about the same on connection requirements, but I read they may limit opponent numbers to compensate. If you have rF1, ever had any issues there? Recently?

19. ViSo

ViSo Registered

I dont play rF1 years ago, and dont have it ''legal'' :eek:. I dont have nkPro, so cant try Asseto Corsa. And I dont have iRacing, however, I have a 1 month free serial key, so, atleast, can waste it to try.

20. canastos

canastos Registered

That is what I was suspecting: you DON'T have antivirus (MSE is a joke) and, consequently, your system has plenty of malware. There is people at this forum trying to help you, even when it's clear that the problem isn't rfactor2, but the first step is you to stop looking at the wrong place (and no, I don't work at ISI :p)

If I was you, I would not do online banking or shopping from that computer

byyyyyyyyyye