Build 300 SLI - Nvidia Surround Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otta56, Sep 10, 2013.

1. otta56

otta56 Registered

SLI performance with Build 300 & Nvidia driver 326.80 is slightly worse than Build 240 at Brianza with 20 AI.

With all options set to maximum, the following charts show performance under multiview for reflections, no reflections and HDR.

Multiview, no reflections, no HDR gives a steady 58-62 fps. The GPUs are between 90-99% utilization. The left and right side screens show pronounced high speed micro-stutter past the pits and various corners of the circuit. The stuttering gets worse with length of time. The repeating frametime spikes of the graphs show where the micro-stuttering occurs.
    View attachment 9791

Multiview, low reflections, no HDR gives about 23 fps. There is pronounced stuttering. GPUs are between 28-36% utilization.
    View attachment 9792

Multiview, no reflections, HDR gives between 12 and 14 fps with pronounced stuttering. GPUs are between 40 - 55% utilization.
    View attachment 9793

CPU averages 49% utilzation with 20 AI. Reducing the number of AI makes no difference to the frame rates.

For the ISI devs that may be reading this post, what logs or information do you need from end users to help improve frame-rates for multi-gpu systems using multiview, HDR and reflections?

2. 64r

64r Registered

Looks like you are using 3 GPUs? Posting the spec of each GPU and your system may be helpful.

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Please ISI must help here. It is impossible for the communitiy to find alone a solution.

Last week I've done a upgrade of my PC and put in a stronger CPU I7 4770k running on 4,2Ghz with 2x8GB Kingston running on 2400Mhz a Asus ExtremeVI some SSD's and a second Zotac GTX670 4GB. This should be enough to get good visuals and fps for any game or simulation. For example in ARMA3 i get on Altis with tripple screen 5880x1080 and most settings on Ultra or very high and visible range 2600m betwenn 45 and 60 fps. I used the nvidia inspector default profile for ARMA3. (and it looks amazing :)

At my first try with rf2 hdr=on multiview=on reflections=low AA=3 all other between medium and full on Mores with 16 AI three on track arround 12 to 23 !! and a lot of micro stuttering :-(

After hour of trying and testing with different settings I've worked out a profile that gives me stable 35fps with good visual and without micro stuttering.
    Workload on both cards is arround 50 - 60 %.
    I'm sure 60 to 90 fps are possible ! But how without the right background knowledge?

Some support from ISI and nvidia (Tim posted they are try to involve nvidia) are at this point very important. To much values and less background Information made it impossible for the community to find a solution.

Hope we can solve it together but ISI must take a step forward and commit with us to find a solution for this. In my eye's this is a very very important thing also for commercial selling. Multi Core and GPU is the future as we can see.
    For a bright success (and I'm sure rf2 had the potential) this is a must have.

If I can help with test or logs or what ever let me know with a post here or send a pm.

thx alex

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  4. Stephen Bacchus

Stephen Bacchus Registered

May as well consolidate this informaiton in one place. This is a post I made in the build 300 thread. The more SLI/Tri SLI/QUAD SLI users that can provide data showing something is up with mutli GPU, at least on the Nvidia side, the more ISI will have something to go on. I'm hoping to test single card this evening.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately it seems that the only way I will be able to do this is to physically remove the second card from my PC, which have spent all afternoon testing SLI is something for another day. I used to be able to connect all my monitors to the first card and then set the second as dedicated to PhysX and still be able to configure surround but this no longer seems to work.

Putting that aside for now hopefully my testing with SLI is enough to show you there is something broken with the Nvidia profile for RF2.

Testing was done at Silverstone, sunny weather, no AI using the Corvette C6. Test consisted of driving out of the garage and on leaving pit lane proceeding at near racing speed around to the old start/finish line before exiting out.

System Specs:
    CPU: Intel i7 3820 @ 4.3Ghz | Motherboard: Gigabyte UD3-X79 (BIOS F16) | Memory: 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | Video: Nvidia GTX 780 x2 (SLI) 326.80 beta | Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium | Disks: Crucial M4 128GB (O/S & Apps - Rfactor 2 installed here), WD Caviar Green 1TB | OS: 7 Home Premium 64bit | Monitors: 3x Asus VE278Q (connected via DVI) | Controllers: Fanatec Porche Wheel Turbo S via USB, Fanatec Club Sport Pedals v1 via USB

RFactor 2 build 300:
    REsolution: 5900x1080 - Multiview as per test notes - HDR as per test notes - AA Level 3 - | Sync - Off
    Circuit Detail High | Player Detail Full | Opponent Detail High | Texture Detail Full | Texture Filtering x16 Anisotropic | Special Effects High | Shawdows High | Shadow Blug Optimal | Movies On | Sun Oclusion On | Rain Drops Yes | Road Reflections Low | Environment Reflections Low | Wind Crowd Movement Yes | Visable Vehicles 104 | Driving View Cockpit | Mirrors On | Steering Wheel Off | Vertical Field of View 31

This is my CPU + GPU utilisation using the Nvidia profile
    http://www.zen215777.zen.co.uk/rfactor2/SLI/SLI+Multiview+HDR.jpg

This is using my own modified profile. Note frame rate never dropped below 60fps during run.
    http://www.zen215777.zen.co.uk/rfactor2/SLI/SLI+Multiview+HDR+MyProfile.jpg

I tested several other combinations involving HDR and Multiview. All of which can be found here along with a copy of my player file and modified Nvidia profile. While some of these are listed as playable none had the smoothness I would expect and indeed get from other games. I have since found that using Vsync set to video with my profile does resolve the micro stutter but of course introduces a little controller lag and screen tearing where it can't maintain at least 60fps. I did also play around with pre-rendered frames but this didn't help either.

I hope this is of some help.

Thanks Stephen

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

@Stephen: your image links don't work. Looks like you copied a truncated URL.

@otta56: Silly question but do you have vsync on? That's quite a conincidence that the framerate is hovering around 60 with no jumps at all to higher values..

I'm willing to contribute data towards helping with the SLI perfomance issue. What do you need ISI?

6. Magus

Magus Registered

Likewise, I am happy to run tests in Sli/Multiview if they will be useful to the development team & I am given an indication of what variables to test &/or keep consistent, including NVCP/NVI settings.

7. Stephen Bacchus

Stephen Bacchus Registered

Single card test results

Well it's official - a single GTX 780 beats two in SLI on my system but something still isn't right

Same test condition as above but with a single 780. Results the first time were so bad I did a complete reinstall from the build 300 lite installer just to make sure. I verified my single 780 was performing to spec with a quick run in 3D Mark fire strike.

This is my single card result: http://www.zen215777.zen.co.uk/rfactor2/SLI/780+Multiview+HDR.jpg

Game felt horrible despite both fraps and in game counter reporting better FPS then under SLI with my own profile. So I tried again with vsync set to video and voila, as smooth as you like.

Vsync result, as you can see GPU usage various as the card isn't being fully taxed: http://www.zen215777.zen.co.uk/rfactor2/SLI/780+Multiview+HDR+vsync.jpg

I don't know what to say other than this is only game on my system where running without vsync leads to massive microstutter and judder. This will be the last testing for now as I've got a new CPU to install (4930K :D), maybe I get to hope back on the merry go round at a latter date!

8. otta56

otta56 Registered

Vsync settings

@F1Fan07:

Yes I am using adaptive vsync from the Nvidia control panel. AA & vsync are sent to none in the config.ini file rf2 creates from the loader. This was done to minimize tearing since the monitors refresh @ 60Hz. Vsync does not prevent the video cards from reaching max utilization in multiview provided HDR and reflections are turned off. With HDR or reflections and multiview turned on, gpu utilization drops by 1/2 to 1/3. Turning vsync off makes no difference to the fps.

9. otta56

otta56 Registered

@64r

Yes, 3 EVGA SC Titans. Full system specs are in my profile.

10. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Consolidate the settings and used profiles for SLI Users in this thread is a good idea. I will post my Settings with Screenshots tommorow. Today it's ARMA3 time :cool:

11. paullv

paullv Registered

What is your graphic card?

I use a single HD 7870 with i5 3570

Multiview (resolution: 6030x1200)

HDR ON

Circuit detail: Full
    Player detail : Full
    Opp Detail: MEDIUM
    8 x AA
    Shadows: OFF
    Sun OC: no
    Raindrops: yes
    Mirrors: ON
    Road reflection - OFF
    Enviro reflections - OFF
    Wind & croud - OFF

online racing - avarage 30 fps.

I am waitting for the new AMD cards.

Maybe I will buy a GTX 780 later this year after the price come down.

12. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

You deserve all fps in the world.

:eek:

Model: Home Built
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6Ghz
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Memory 16GB DDR3 PC3-21300
    Video: EVGA Titan SC X3 SLI
    Audio: Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor: U2713HM X 3
    Controllers: Fanatec CSW, CSP (USB); CSW Shifter (USB)
    Internet: Cable 45 Mb

13. 64r

64r Registered

Just to cover the basics, have you tried running rinng the system without any overclocking applied, eg CPU at standard speed etc? I guess it will be the same but perhaps there is some issue with bus speeds that are causing an issue.... Just my 2 cents.

The other test would be to disconnect your Fanatec gear, and drive using the keyboard or AI (again at base clock speeds) to see if that is having any influence...

The last suggestion is to test using Win7, maybe win8 drivers etc are not fully mature?

14. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Hi,

Same here... I7980x@4.5Ghz 3xgtx580 3GB vram, 5000x1080 & I got less fps than a friend with a crappy g Intel proc & a gtx280

On portugal, i have like 30 fps with loads of stuttering & my friend : 70fps :eek:

On Arma3 stratis : 60 fps

Tomorrow : arma3 Altis :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

15. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

So here are my SLI settings. Detailed PC Specs you can seen in my forum profile. As I wrote above in the thread there are several settings I do not understand and maybe some settings
    are useless but this profile gives me 35fps with:
    Track: ISI Mores
    Car: ISI Camaro
    AI: 18 (most in pits)
    AI on Track during measure: 3
    So I hope Tim (from ISI) can us give a statement if there is a realistic chance to solve this SLI bottleneck or not and if yes how long the timespan will be.
    View attachment 9829
    View attachment 9830
    View attachment 9831
    View attachment 9832
    View attachment 9833
    View attachment 9834
    View attachment 9835
    View attachment 9836

Additional information. OS Win7x64 and rF2 build300 is due the new hardware fresh installed. Except the posted changes all other is default.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  16. Bart S

Bart S Member

Alpha you a little confused about settings, in nvidia inspector. right now your settings are rendering 4xMSAA in game then nVidia inspector applies 4xMSAA again + multisampling transparency.

1). Ingame set your in game AA to 'none'.
    2). Ingame set your refresh rate ingame to 60hz.
    3). nV Insp. set Antialiasing Mode to Override if .
    4). nV Insp. set Antialiasing Line gamma Enabled.
    5). nV Insp. set Antialiasing Transparency Multisampling to 'Disabled'.
    nV Insp. set Antialiasing Transparency Supersampling to '2xSparse Grid Supersampling'.( if you want it)
    6). nV Insp. maximum pre-rendered frames to 2 - 3
    7). nV Insp. Power management mode 'prefer maximum performance'.
    8). nV Insp. Threaded optimisation to 'on'
    9). nV Insp. Texture filtering - Anistropic filter optimization 'on'.
    10). nV Insp. Texture filtering - Anistropic sample optimization 'on'.
    11). nV Insp. Triple buffering 'on' if you use vsync.
    12). nV Insp. Vertical sync smooth afr behaviour 'on' if you use vsync.

I cannot comment on SLI settings at the moment but the above should help the underlying stream for better performance

17. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi Bart thx for your reply.
    I know my worked out settings may look crazy and are the result of testing values without big knowledge about there detailed function .
    Maybe a lucky shot but at the moment the only working solution without microstuttering.

Before I bought the second gtx670 I'have used the settings from your thread with minimal customization and had always 40 - 60 fps with the single card solution.

I will try to merge (today after work) your posted settings with my SLI settings and run some tests on Mores after finishing I post the feedback and given fps.

alex
    Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi Bart here we are :)

First the bad message. I've changed all as you described it in your post above and got between 29 and 32 fps with small but noticeable micro stuttering.
    Then the good message :D
    So I thought I resume with my "random change setting testing" :D and what I've got is not so bad. The quality is noticeable better the micro stuttering is completly
    eliminated the GPU utilization is constant on 60% and I've got around 33 - 37 fps. I belive I can find the 7 fps somewhere and then I can live with it until a solution
    from ISI is available.
    Of course I changed not all settings randomly :rolleyes: but have tried to find a good mix with your settings. Below I post the screenshots.
    All in all this is a good step forward for me.
    View attachment 9850
    View attachment 9851
    View attachment 9852
    View attachment 9853

Any ideas for more improvement are welcome.

thx alex

19. Magus

Magus Registered

Hi aplha-bravo, I'm running a couple of 4GB 680's and can't help think that your performance should be greater, along with your GPU usage %. 2 things to try:

1. reset Nvidia Inspector to default for rf2 profile & configure the game to Level 3 or 4 AA, HDR OFF, FXAA OFF, VSYNC = Video & ingame you can keep your visual setting as is & even maybe introduce some shadow blurring at optimal BUT turn Environmental Reflection to OFF. See how that effects GPU usage & FPS. With the exact same settings then turn ON HDR and see the difference. On certain tracks like Mores you will match the FPS but on others like Silverstone & Limerock you will see a hit.

2. Back up/Export the rf2 profile on NVI and then delete it. Now set it up as above and again see how you go.

If you get better results from 2 but want to use NVI for the AA & VSYNC, you can restore/import the profile (that you exported) and set the RF2 profile with Sli Comparability Bits from 0x02402005 to 0x00000000.

My findings so far:

VSYNC needs to be on Video, otherwise you will take a hit on FPS. If I am using NVI for VSYNC settings , they are set as; VSYNC Smooth AFR - ON, VSYNC - Adaptive, VSYNC - Force On

In game AA only differs visibly over NVI AA when you apply Supersampling in NVI

HDR is nice BUT on certain tracks really hurts your FPS with Sli/Multiview.

Environmental reflection (& road, although less so) causes a decrease in fps by around 15-20FPS in Sli/Multiview

I think the most important thing to realise is that the 'stutters' slowdowns will be noticeable at any FPS where there is a sudden drop & rise. So for eg. if you had 100FPS and then around a corner it dropped to 60FPS & then up yo 90FPS, down to 80 then up to 100FPS, you would notice a series of stutters & slowdown. VYSYNC helps to make the game smooth BUT you need to be able to find settings just below your PC's full capability or do all you testing on the most resource taxing tracks (Silverstone & Limerock) and when you can get a steady 60FPS on it, be confident that on the rest it will also run smoothly.

At the moment I've regretfully gone back to turning HDR off after finding that with build 300 I was able to turn it back on on some less stressing tracks (Mores, Mid Ohio) but once I tried Limerock it became evident that even without AI things were just a jumping mess.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  20. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi Magus! Thx for your reply. Very exciting ! I will try your described steps tomorrow afternoon and post the given fps and used settings. In any case I've a good feeling about and believe to get some improvements.

THX Alex