Released BMW M2 CS Updated

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Coutie, Sep 25, 2023.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I would generally agree, but this kind of boasting, specifically about physics was odd for S397. Another exception was Tatuus cars and Norma LMP3 (to some extent), but that’s about it. In this case they said they had BMW drivers validating the physics of rf2 version, so this implies they had some significant testing and pre-release.

2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Really?
    For example, from 2019 release:
    “it drives just like the real one”

For me contradicts with :
    “Performance and Handling Updates:
      • New tyre model, including cooler tires for better grip in prolonged cornering.
      • Refined TC and ABS systems with increased ABS sample rate to 200Hz, ensuring shorter braking distances.
      • The gearbox shift protection system has been added.
      • Noteworthy tweaks like a more aggressive blip, reduced rear spindle friction, updates to suspension geometry, and many more all converge to offer a drive that’s responsive, intuitive, and dynamic.”
    Unless the updates above where also changed in a real car since the release(highly doubtful). Edit: So it looks like these were rather later improvements to rF2 physics engine that were only recently implemented into the car.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    Rui Santos likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

New Tire Model wasn't fully implemented when the M2 was released. Neither was shift protection & TC & ABS were being refined to a different system. So AT THE TIME, it was the best that rF2 could simulate. rF2 grew and now the M2 variants can benefit from those improvements.
    The ABS changes look to be the only thing that was not implemented well. The CLUNK was something either not noticed by the testers or not considered a game breaker AT THE TIME of the car's release. I am curious if the car still exhibits the bouncing when hard cornering was attempted.
    Finally, no where in the original text is a guarantee of 100% fidelity. No legal mumbo-jumbo that explicitly states the car in it's release state is perfect. They make bold claims to that end, but without a guarantee of certainty, there is nothing in the marketing text holding S397 to have released a car that cannot be improved.
    Jesus H. Christ folks....it is an update to a car, in a sim that many have said is dead, that improves the car. Take that as a win.

4. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

It's not hard to see why Sim Developers need to take extended breaks, ignore us or move onto other projects. We sim-fanatics tend to drill down into rabbit holes with no clear exit. Yes, I speak from experience!

I wonder if there is such a condition in medical journals regarding "Simulation OCD"(?) :p:D

pkelly, Bernat and atomed like this.
  5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I wasn’t aware NTM is a thing in rF2. There must have been significant upgrades if they call it like that. Did they implement it in the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car? Last time I checked I had big issues with tires overheating and losing grip on long corners.

But generally I’m well aware that some improvements, like shift protection, were added later to the physics engine (and even said it in my last post). But for example ABS seemed to work fine in other 2019 cars. Also things like, previously mentioned, updates to suspension geometry can’t be explained by later physics engine improvements (AFAIK it was already fully simulated in 2019). So why they updated it? Did real drivers provided new feedback? We will probably won’t know.

Anyway, of course I appreciate the update and will finally try it out the car after couple years.

6. Binny

Binny Guest

Biggest rabbit hole suits this post perfectly.
    Planed Obsolescence.
    Developers dont need a break they now release every quarter like IR when they dont have a schedule and comp system like IR so why ?
    Bugs/fixes can be done anytime but are no longer like IR only a hotfix at best after a update.
    Now every 3 months we complain or like what we get, its the new norm it looks like for all sims.
    Buzz word acceptance LMAO

7. Robin_Gerhard

Robin_Gerhard Registered

Goodmorning, So how can I make the rear end more sticky. It's way too oversteery...
    Cheers
    Robin

8. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

I think the person in charge of updating M2 CS Racing is confusing "helper springs" and "tender springs."
    If a "helper spring" is treated as a "tender spring", the spring rate becomes very soft, so the geometry may have been adjusted to deal with the soft suspension.
    The image shows the helper spring actually used.

Attached Files:

rysim abd, pkelly and Rui Santos like this.
  9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thankyou so much for this update devs!

I've always liked this car, but now with this update its matured into one of my favorite drives in sim racing! The ABS effect through the FFB on this car always felt exadgerated and intrusive to the driving experience. Now its much more subtle and feels spot on, like real ABS!

The suspension was another thing, when it first came it it was rock solid and the car had a bouncing problem, I remember that got patched a long, long time ago, but even then it still felt a bit off, now its pretty much perfect!

The new tires are great! They feel even better especially in terms of grip though the longer corners but... You can still have fun with it and get it sideways if you so wish!

There was nothing in the update notes about A.I. for this car, however something seems to have changed, for the better! As I said I've always liked this car, but I could rarely enjoy offline racing with it against the A.I. because they were just too slow for this particular vehicle, so I've not driven it in quite some time!
    I don't know if the the A.I. have improved due to recent A.I. updates, or if its a knock on effect from updateing the tires, but whatever it is they are now really competitive even with the skill as low as 95 at some tracks. Im so happy I can now enjoy a decent race with this car wether on or offline, so thanks very much indeed, you've made my day!

All the other updates to it are great to, but these are the stand out points for me!

Bravo S397!

10. Oleksandr Borodai

Oleksandr Borodai Registered

As to me something wrong with M2's FFB with this update. It was awful before, specially on braking, but now it's so empty... Which is not something to be felt with front engine car. Can't feel the load to front wheels. Which is best on market feature of rF2's FFB in general. So it's quite disappointing that free car, that should be #1 choice for some rookie-series won't represent the real "juiciness' of rF2, for the newcomers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    vava74 likes this.
  11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

btw using the lowest tyre pressure makes the car turn better and gives almost 5 seconds in Brands Hatch
    probably a setup issue for most of us

12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

You can sort that right out with Adding some Minimum Torque in the FFB game settings, how much depends on your wheel (i only needed to add 0.5 for my CSW 2.5). Also you can tweak steering weight to your liking with Car Specific FFB multiplyer (without it effecting other cars), I added just 5%. Feels absoloutely great to me now, and so happy they calmed down the ABS effect, feels spot on now!

justposted likes this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Sometimes things just aren't as expected. I think the car is quite amazing, and FFB is great. I also got a bit cought on how tires are not exactly great out of their optimum temperatures window (cold in first few minutes and when they get too hot), still haven't lost control with it for once. Default setup is bit less grippy, there wasn't much loading up of FFB while turning in, but I find it attractive in some way too ,unique - why everything has to be same, the steering ain't getting lighter, it means it has good amount of caster. There is more feel with bit more tires squish at minimum pressures - more pneumatic trail and stuff. I don't see any problems right there.

No news that simracers has made up some sort of holy grail of ffb feel in their minds, and don't know that the feeling of steering depends on many factors. This being said, I don't even think that FFB of this car is bellow average to rF2 standards. The way it actually drives when you respect tires and get them in the zone is top tear.

solerpalau likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Now Manta, if ya cain't drive the ever-lovin' SNOT outa the car, then it's crap....obviously! :)

mantasisg likes this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You can push this BMW on these tires quite hard though :D

davehenrie likes this.
  16. justposted

justposted Registered

I love these detailed reviews. Much appreciated, Paul.

17. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Cheers mate! Its really come into its own now this car!

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ONE TEENY TINY QUESTION. Why is the car listed as an M2 instead of under the BMW header when choosing AI opponents? Took me longer than an old rF2 track load to find the dang things.

19. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Is the steering wheel of the M2 just really small irl or is something wrong with my fov?
    I usually run virtual steering wheel off but when I just checked i found out it only half as big as my irl wheel (SRB GT3) which is 30cm.

FOV settings are same as other cars and the wheels usually end up around the same size with mathmatically correct fov.
    But this one is waay smaller its almost comical.

justposted and coltair like this.
  20. keith_d

keith_d Registered