ASR Formula Open Wheel Classic 92 Season LE rF1 Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sderenno, Feb 8, 2015.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I am amazed by the skill , dedication and if not even more with the patience and ability to absorb feedback that ASR has shown.
    The 1.7 version is my "Must Drive Car" in 2015. I went and found a good League and we had our first race last Sunday. It was fantastic. There were 28 cars on the grid and the sights and sounds as McLarens and Williams battled into sector 2 were awesome.

The physice are very "accessible" but the fastest guys still win.

Out of interest for the people who say its harder and slower in the V1.8 our race pole sitter in the V 1.10 went mid 1:10 sec. With a 1:11.5 I was P19 of 28.
    Whereas Mansell took pole in 1992 with a 1:16 in Q2. Only 2 drivers went under 1:18 and several were over 1:20.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Brazilian_Grand_Prix

So if real life and the experience of 1992 is our goal then we have to accept that the V1.70 (as brilliant as it is) is a bit quick!
    Often league races can be more fun with a slightly more challenging handling model IE a few little errors a/ few little oportunities.

I also want to take this moment to congratulate ASR on the depth of the engineering challenge of the car.
    You can break the car (engine or brakes) if your temperature management isnt correct. It took me 3 practice races in single player to get race distance accomplished.

Anyone interested in the story can read this
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/a-little-tale-about-preparing-for-a-race.100496/

anyway, guys you are awesome. I sent a little donation a few weeks ago. Time to do it again.
    Thank you very much.

2. tafkams

tafkams Registered

I feel the same. This mod (1.7) IS rF2 for me.

Would be really great if you'd give the community the option to decide which version they prefer. I think you'll need some coffee for the next days or weeks :)

Thanks for your great work so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  3. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

I guess I have to accept criticism and recommendations for improving our work, although sometimes happen to see clarifications which do not have the goal of helping, they express something that I can not understand, perhaps anger or envy or don't know , this does not distract us from our main goal, to share our passion with other enthusiasts.

As I said, it is not our job, we do it for passion and I understand that many of you, but we too, would like the perfect mod from every point of view, we hope to succeed together.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's a superb mod, many thanks to all involved, looking forward to future improvements and enhancements.

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I admit I have it easy... I just race the excellent '91 cars against the '92 AI, so for me those physics are not prime topic since the '91 ones feel damn great either way.

Love the visual updates!

In sum these mods are indeed the best RF2 currently has to offer. Frenky's 2013 SIngleplayer also deserves a mention, but the character of the cars of yesterday is hard to beat.

6. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi Sderenno, this is a very good update for my point of view ;)
    I like the fact that they are more difficult to drive but still feel the car. This is what i imagine when i see old f1 cars. ;)

But, just two questions.
    1 - when i drive a car i have the same performance than another team. (mclaren vs Minardi for exemple)
    2 - The other driver don't follow the level of the 1992 season. I see some Minardi or larousse doing the best laps and senna staying at the end of the grid.. :s
    Is it normal?
    If i use the "finish session" button, sometimes, team levels seem to correct a little bit but drivers do some impossible chronos.
    (i play 98%, 100 damage and 25 % agressivity )

If these two things are "normal" (mean, you have done this like that with no real differences) it would be fantastic to have that different team levels for the player and the AI.

If not, what is wrong? :s

For the rest it's still one of the best mods and sure, will be a source of inspiration for others ;)

Thanks

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It's as it should be. For leagues, the physics are exactly the same for every car/driver.

Maybe someone will release a Historic Edition for you someday, but I doubt it, as this game is not really meant for offline.

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Trollray,

As soon as ASR includes the AI file (RCD) the AI driver levels will be more accurate. The cars still will have the same physics, but the drivers will place correctly. If you know how to add and repack a file to a mod, I can send you one.

And yes, "Finish Session" always produces weird results. Better to use accelerate time.

9. David O'Reilly

I've just done a short shakedown to get a base setup.
    I do this at Nazareth speedway as I can do a lap in 20 sec and its basically all corners. So kind of a proving circuit. So I make a change go flat out, look at the delta and see how it feels mid corner.
    I can do 100 laps retty quickly and get a feel
    The following is what I think....

I can report that the default setup in the new LE version is far superior to the V1.70.
    By this I mean that whereas the V1.70 required quite extreme adjustments to cure understeer such as rear dampers up from 3 or 4 to 11 or 12 and fronts down to 1 or 2. Then springs and ARBs all moved to get front grip.
    The Version LE 1.8 drove pretty well on defaults. The tendency was to understeer (and front exceeding rear wear by say 50%) but it was cured with very minor adjustments of 1 or 2 clicks and the neutral set-up came with plenty of adjustment range still left.

I dont find any lack of front grip so far.
    Ill say more when I have a session in at a road course. But so far it seems very good.

Someone above said that this mod due to its popularity will cause passionate debate. That makes sense, it's popular and when for example Coca Cola wanted to change their formula there were protests.
    It also at this moment allows with the V 1.70 a very accessible experience. Bit like the DW12.
    This seems a nice evolution to a very atmospheric experience. Good job ASR.
    Thanks

10. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

Or you could just use the one I linked earlier in this thread. It's a single component so can be installed/uninstalled without having to mess with anything else.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's very simple--the 1.8 is a lot closer to realistic. The 1.7 was purposely made for league racing and as someone said above it is more "accessible" (great, polite way of saying too easy).

But too easy is not a criticism. It was done on purpose and it is fun. But let's also be honest and realize that the gargantuan effort being put into these cars should make them drive properly as well as look and sound authentic. If you need an east-to-drive car, there are many, many choices, or you could just use AC. If the authors make extra effort to retain an option to use the old, less realistic physics then I hope even more people donate because that is really going above the call of duty.

The ASR vehicles are already the best open-wheel cars for rF2--and they keep making them better! Let's not get too greedy with our requests. You can still just use 1.7 if you are so intent on keeping the exaggerated grip.

12. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

Thank you for the update.
    If I remember well, this sim has aids... :confused:

13. David O'Reilly

OK I have done a setup session at Sao Paulo as I've been there for a week in the V1.70 so it made sense.

Its certainly got much more challenging physics than 1.70. Like an earlier post I was +7 sec. (edit-sorry it was more like 4 sec, I was comparing 100 litres fuel load with my 10 litre quali pace). Nearly all that was grip related as top speed was only down appr 10 kph. Braking points are earlier, turn in not as quick, power a bit less. I ended up needing much more wing than the (probably unrealistic low level ) in V1.70.
    (EditNet result is much closer to real life 1992 lap times.)
    So yes its quite a bit slower and its harder to extract lap time. Oh and more tyre wear (thats good BTW)
    I found that as well as all the usual things weight distribution was an important parameter. I moved it forwards and got MUCH better front grip. But then as the rear grip unlike V 1.70 is not endless you have limits there too. In V1.70 it was like you could just turn on a tap and add grip to the front till you had enough. Here in the 1.80LE soon the rear starts to misbehave.

I think I would say dont drive V1.70 first if you are going to compare them!

I'm really looking forward to a multiplayer event to see how that pans out. I have a feeling it will be good.

As its a Beta I will be presumptious enough to make one or two observations.
    Grip Balance. The tests I did on a quite high speed oval (5th 6th gears) had a pretty neutral balance. Low speed cornering there was quite a bit more understeer and the fronts were getting a bit nuked. I did end up with dampers, springs maxed (or minimised really) at the front and ARBs nearly at minimum. Diff lock also very low. So it might just be possible that the aero balance is pretty good but the mechanical grip balance a bit under-steery

Bit more to do yet but thats the first impressions.

homework
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTPPSoQJxwI

14. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Oh, I didn't realize it's a separate component that can be added. Agree that this is best route for Trollray to take.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I like when we get folks that check MoTec and telemetry in general to basically provide supporting argument to things some of us write. I am happy to see the majority is enjoying the route of 1.8. Whoever doesn't want change... it's simple, keep 1.7. Creating two sets of physics to be selected from Tuning menu would not be good.

To go off David above, I took them to Interlagos on my very first outing and was lapping on 1:17s right away, with a hefty challenge to break 16 right away. The default setup works much better, I still decrease mapping by a couple of clicks and like to soften the car in general. I don't believe the tire wear is optimal, it feels a bit too much. These cars went on for a while, that must be remembered. 1.7 suffered from extreme heating and extreme wear when under stress. Adjusting that parameter, issue of front bite and lateral slip, and I guess the potential mechanical grip unbalance, we'd really be very good to go on a L.E.

I hope my words have never been seen as anything other than admiration and desire and belief of improvement that the team is capable of doing. Grazie per il lavoro di passione.

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

How tricky is it actually to merge the physics of one mod with the visuals of another? Just a bunch of specific files to copy over?

17. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

I been doing some tests. I like the idea of a slower car and less grip, but what I found is that cars has lost his excellent feedback at low speed. It looks like cars are more aero dependant than before, and tires have lot of less grip. The braking and slow cornering feels unnatural with a tendency to lose the front in middle of the corner.

The graphics looks a lot better, and some cars changed his shape and added options. All this is welcome. One thing I noticed is that some cars show 2000 RPM more at the tachometer than the real RPM (Footwork, Fondmetal, Minardi etc etc).

The sound in some cars is still a issue, because the sound doesn't match the RPMs and others like Brabham and Andrea Moda are very difficult to hear at low RPMs.

18. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

there are many opportunities to take advantage of, besides creating all animated drivers, we would like to rearrange the ideas relying on your innumerable and even conflicting feedback.

a lot to do, but we are happy about passion shown.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'll echo the things said about low speed front end grip. It does indeed feel a bit strange how the front just goes in the slow corners. Has anybody had any luck with setup changes to improve this feeling?

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That's the issue, feedback may vary and you will have to weed out the not so good from the appropriate ones. There's not much conflict at all when you look at the category of feedback, if anything it builds up.