ARI Fun Race 3 @ Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fergy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

The most important I want to understand is how changes in set-up affects the car performance. I do changes using what theory says (tuning post) but many times don't feel they do what they should as times don't seem to improve. Other times I go back to an earlier setup which seemed simple and less tuned and suddenly the car does a lot better (too confused)

2. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I'll post my setup this evening to see if it helps anybody to understand what changes do better to the car.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I dont know if this is possible but it would really help if somebody could post gears in each corner cause i suspect im doing things wrong.
    Heres what I do in Fergy's setup

after start, left in front of pits 3rd, 4th short straight, entering S in 3rd, right tight 2nd, up to 5th in straight, down to 2nd for right,
    keep to 2nd for left, downhill right, change to 3rd before uphill left, keep to 3rd downhill right, again 3rd for right, go to 4th and back to 3rd for left and down to 2nd for right at pit entry, then accelerate till finish.

...oops, now Im really dizzy...

4. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

That is as what I have. It's important to have an enough short 3rd so in this point "change to 3rd before uphill left, keep to 3rd downhill right, again 3rd for right" do that final righthander at the higher revs posible to keep a decent acceleration as the cars tends to be a bit low in revs there. But not too short that you'd need to shift 4th in any of those prevoius curves.

The S after the first curve I start it entering flat out in 4th, and at the moment I am about to start turning left I kick the brakes and turn left in 3rd at very high revs and very close to the inside so I can get a good entry in the hairpin and have a latter braking.

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats really good news!
    I remember you advised me at Spa to take the double right at hotel in 5th while I was taking it in 3rd (!) and you were so right.
    After a while I managed myself and it made such a difference, I was afraid maybe I did a big mistake in Ohio as well. ;)

6. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

That's great, I'd like to have you battling there in the front side by side.
    As I feel, this F3 cars like agressiveness the faster the curve goes.
    By agressiveness I don't mean it has to be driven sideways, bit it likes being aggresive in the entries as it tends to understeer easily if you don't and easily loses the line.

The year we update the league to F2 or F1 the driving styles will have to be changed as those cars (at least the F1s) are very nervous to drive. But at least, the F3 is like driving one of those public renting go-karts, aggresiveness helps to find the way into the curve.

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

not me, its against my...believes lol

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Has this been discussed? Thats really great news steadily climbing the ladder.
    (low voice: tell u the truth I prefer F2 than F3)

9. Fergy

Fergy Registered

View attachment 2773
    This may be of help. I could set this up better but Motec shows you what gear though each corner. Ignore the zero's I'm not sure what they're for.

10. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Don't think it's been discussed, but I think it's the natural evolution, once we drive almost every track we should upgrade to a bigger challenge. F2 could be it.

11. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Liking this discussion:) Looking forward to taking our training wheels off:p

12. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

That's a lot of shifting per lap :eek:

13. Fergy

Fergy Registered

I know what the zero is now. It's the time in between gear changes. So you see a zero first followed by the gear changed into.

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

so thats Motec. Impressive.
    Almost the same shifts as me except some pretty quick 2nd to 3rd to 2nd i dont think Ill have the chance to make with h-shift.

Dj's setup shifts are all different. Where you see 3rd its 4th and where 4th its 5th but still he is quick as...
    So whats the catch? Hes driving a spark too btw.

15. Fergy

Fergy Registered

I think that's the beauty of this mod. The physics mean you have to come up with a good set up. Knowing your driving style helps a lot too. At the end of the day it's all about hand eye co-ordination and driving skill. This mod and these tracks are a real test of that. That's why DJ's so bloody fast... we could vote to ban him:p

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Im in.
    And Martin too, and Klauss, and Jonathan, and YOU, and Andy and...

Ok gorgias, u can stay, I need ur advise anyway...

17. Fergy

Fergy Registered

here's lap on Motec Nikos. Just a quick video off my phone but you can see what's going with tyres (inside, middle and outside) brakes temps, throttle and brake pedal and more.

1 person likes this.
  18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

ok u stay too Fergy...

Think Ive seen Motec thread somewhere, cannot find it.

Ok, found it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  19. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I see that the center of the tires are heating up for you also i thought it was my just my game can't wait till they finish the tire model....

20. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

LOL

I've tried Klaus' setup, to my driving it's completely not compatible. I feel as if I needed full wheel lock in every curve.

here is my actual setup. I want to make clear that this setup works terribly bad on a green track, it needs rubber on the tarmac to properly work.

View attachment 2777

Waiting to hear your feelings with it. I've been using the Setup Developer to help me doing it.

Here is an attempt I've just made with my own setup. It's a 1:36:8 taking a small walk through the grass :eek:
    The track was rubbered by the AI cars
    I use a low FOV as you can see.

Well the video is still being processed by youtube, the moment it ends you'll be able to see it.