Anyone got a Buttkicker Gamer 2 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by xracer, Sep 26, 2012.

1. xracer

xracer Registered

Was wondering about buying one of these as an extremely cheap alternative to a motion sim :). Was wondering if the experience is really making immersion better for racingsims.

2. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I bought one only a month ago and have used it every time I plug my wheel in to race/play. In most racing sims/games it really great, it works off the low end frequencies so does depend on what sounds are produced in game currently that fit in this bracket.

I would not want to be without it now :), I'm even thinking about getting/making a small tranducer for the pedals.

I play some FPS too and at first I turned it on to 'feel' explosions etc, but have since reverted to playing without it as there is too much background noise that in real life, you just would not feel.

In summary... it does add to the immersion in racing sims/games generally, I would recommend it for the price!

3. xracer

xracer Registered

Thanks MrPix, for the input. It's little difficult to get a hold the Buttkicker seems like. But i guess i will go for one as it's not much else in that prize range which could help with the immersionfactor. I was looking at the products from SimeXpericense. If i go crazy i may buy that Stage one version from them :)

4. VLA

VLA Registered

Get the shakers, Butt kickers, whatever you prefer... but do it!....another dimension of immersion is coming your way, and if you do go crazy you'll enter another. I have 9 bass shakers.

5. xracer

xracer Registered

Hey what shakers? Is that a better alternative? What's the prize compared to the Buttkickers and if you have a site for me to check out i would appreciate that. I'm gonna mount this on a WRC Playseat that the thought.

Thanks in advance!

6. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Geez, I thought I was bad. I have 6 bass shakers. Four under the seat, one under the wheel shelf and one under the footrest.

I agree with VLA; get them! If I forget to turn them on, I feel like I'm not in a car. Simracing is so much more immersive with them.

Check my signature for info on my bass shakers.

7. xracer

xracer Registered

If i can ask, do the shakers function in the same way as the buttkickers. I know the Kicker use a piston to transfer the vibrations, but i mean is the force as strong and does the frequency go as low on both. Also do you think i can get away with less expenses going for shakers vs. Buttkickers?

Thanks for the input btw. :)

8. VLA

VLA Registered

@Xracer, Hi, this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Z_hyvpEps&feature=channel&list=UL
    brings you around my rig, the 9th shaker is still under testing however is attached to my gear stick and is showing good results as in vibrations over curbs ect, I keep this one on at low feedback. There a 6 videos in total, each show snaps of the rig while playing, not the best video's as I was just experimenting with you tube at the time.

My whole shaker system is connected via a 5.1 500w amp. There as Pro's and Con's on both as in Shakers and Butt kickers. I went for the shakers a) they only cost me $10 each and b) cause I wanted vibration coming from all four corners. I'm very much now looking forward to the new development that SimExperience is about to launch, the SIMVIBE, this should enhance what i have already in place.

The reason I have 9 shakers is that they are wired in series ie: 5 channels, 2 per channel and a center.

Buttkicker or shakers either way, FlaTspotter is right, I just can't drive without them anymore, feels like you got no engine LoL.
    When it come to these things I believe in doing your own research, It leeds to areas that need consideration in order to personalise your ultimate requirements. I don't own a Kicker but my research shows that they do deliver a stronger effect than the shakers but at a price....Piston noise.....The shakers are cheaper but at a price... LowSound, ie: like speakers.

Like I said, either way you go....setup correctly will do a great job,

9. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I believe they work the same as the Buttkickers, but I'm not sure. I don't know if they're as strong as a Buttkicker, but they're very strong.

These are the ones I bought: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-028

You still need a subwoofer amp. There are a bunch here: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers/332

10. xracer

xracer Registered

Thanks all for now, I will do a little more research and decide what to go for. Will be back later with my toughts.

11. VLA

VLA Registered

Simvibe is out by SimXperience, Awsome! Vibration feedback just lifted to a total new level.

12. grubyc

grubyc Registered

For those who use bass shakers...
    Can you describe what you feel when driving?Shift,engine,bump..what is level of immersion,trying to imagine and find some good review but cant.
    I got in mind to buy one aura bass shaker.
    Thanks

13. VLA

VLA Registered

Ok, with one shaker obviously all vibration data will flow through this. If you do get simvibe you can engage specific vibrations and there intensity, such as you say Gear shift, engine, bumps ect. Prior to a software like simvibe whatever came thru that was it and it felt great as you just opened another dimmension towards immersion.
    As you can see below my setup with 9 shakers connected to a 5.1 amp prior to simvibe I had a surround effect as such vibrations were spread across the chassi. Now with simvibe the vibrations are thru a chassi mode or extention mode here, vibrations can be placed, selected and enhanced individually.
    Thats the best way I can explain Simvibe I'm sure someone can give a more tech response soon.

Your question "Can you describe the feel" well it's just a vibration when as you crossover that terrain or engage a motion like gear change you would feel a thump simulating the change of revs/gears like you would feel in any real vechile.
    I mainly drive the ORSM V8's and can only describe this mod, but am sure it's the same in most mods.

Your question "What is the level of immersion" I would place Vibration on the same level of priorities in building a rig as Visual, in other words it's a must have without question. If you're about immersion. "Just do It". No need to imagine it...start with one shaker and then you can begin to imagine what 9 does.

If you go that way try to factor in Simvibe in your setup, it is truly remakable what this software can do, you will have a grin from ear to ear for many years to come, Immersion is no longer just shakers and vibration it's Simulation and Vibration connected.

my quick response on another forum after about 3 hours playing copy and pasted here
    For the record my 9 bass shakers prior to simvibe were as I thought giving me some unreal feedback....well now and still tweaking a bit am getting some serious feedback. Simvibe has just given my rig a new lease of life.

I found the simvibe vibration feedback is very immersive just on its own..that's crazy.

I have toned down some effects of the motion... the result....I feel much much more connected now.
    My V8 supercar, as soon as I began to roll out of the garage I really felt the tar mac under me as if I could just lean out and touch it, the feeling was for me that close and it was instant. The bumps and cracks on the road surface you look at them as you approach...and as you drive over them you can literally feel them on the left and the right...perhaps to avoid them next time...oh man this is something special I tell you, and that wind noise effect..on a triple 46" setup doing 250 plus K's down the chase I can sense the heavyness of a ton of metal pushing itself through the air..no bedtime for me tonight I tell ya to much exploring to do.

Overall a more complete feel, direct and pronounced....effective immersion at it's best.
    Not to mention the quantity of potential effects just to be explored is a career in itself.
    Truly a Beautiful piece of software Berney, a task well done indeed.

Thanks again
    Vito:)

AUDIO: Logitech Z5500 5.1
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Sound Card specially tuned via equalizer, X-Fi Crystalizer, EAX effects and X-Fi 3D , using a mix and adjustment of levels through the equalizer I expanded particular sounds looking for depth.

VIBRATION: Through an Onboard 7.1 sound. Vaf Research (Adelaide) I installed 9 Bass 50w shakers coming from a 500w 5.1 amp, (air cooled) 4 shakers in total on the seat, 2 at the sides where your thighs are and 2 at the rear where your kidneys are (in series.) The other 4 on the floor pan, 2 infront of the pedals and 2 under your heels (in series). Number 9 is mounted directly of the shifter. 2 sub woofers 180watt in front and 100w at the rear . SimVibe software now runs it all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyiYd2zDMO4&feature=plcp

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  14. grubyc

grubyc Registered

Thanks for reply
    Simvibe software,is it free?
    I think is better to buy 2 auras bass pro then buttkicker 2!?
    I live in Croatia(Europe) and cant find ebuy or amazon shiping to me!?
    Do you maybe now where to get it?

15. VLA

VLA Registered

Simvibe is Free but I think you need to have owned a motion sim, Visit their site simxperience.com
    Ethier way Bass shakers or Buttkickers....both will do the job
    Sorry m8, cannot help you where to buy, I'm a bit lucky I suppose we have a company here in Adelaide Australia that has a few, yes shipping to you will cost a bit.

If it's any help and you good with your hands Google "how to make a Bass Shaker" this may lead you around.

cheers

16. grubyc

grubyc Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  17. VLA

VLA Registered

This one OK...if in your budget.....Aura pro...is Excellent no worry good one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aura-AST-1B-...item1c2b047b9b

As said before go with one.... if in your budget get at least two you will not regret.Close your eyes and get four..set for life.

Now that I have been on both sides.....without SimVibe and now with Simvibe....you will never experience what someone with SIMVIBE has fullstop.

But for now just install the shakers normally set them up and play....after that see where you want to go with vibration.

Best wishes

18. grubyc

grubyc Registered

For now one but i think that second is coming.
    Ok,thanks for your time.

19. CoNa

CoNa Registered

SimVibe is only for free if you own their simrigs or have bought their SimCommander software, which SimVibe is built upon.
    It cost 79 $ , but is well worth the money.

20. grubyc

grubyc Registered

It seems 80$ more :)