Anyone got a Buttkicker Gamer 2 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by xracer, Sep 26, 2012.

1. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Just want to share my personal experience with Buttkicker Gamer 2:

I just connected 2 days ago a BKG2 to my computer, first using the LFE/Center exit of my audio jack (from an average Realtek 5.1, I'll have a better sound card soon), and using the LFE side to fill the amp.

Tested first on movies and it's really great. Kind of noisy I should say, louder that what I thought. It was first clamped to my wheel chair and the whole chair was vibrating making rattles. All was making sound, from the BKG2 itself to the 5 wheels of my chair, including the piston part and the lever. As my ground is made of wood, I added several big pieces of carpet under wheels but it wasn't enough to avoid the noise, even at low level, going through the whole house. So as I saw than the vibrator itself wasn't making any heat after several hours of use, I wrap it in a cushion and was able to put it inside the seat, just when the back part meet the butt part. Sound still there but lower, and effects still work pretty fine. The Apollo 13 takeoff scene or the horses scene from the movie "Abraham Lincoln vampires hunter" was stunning! ;)

Then, I launched rF2 and was pretty disappointed. Bass seems not really well managed here. It was only trigger the BKG2 when I was near a wall, an armco or under a tunnel with reverberation (I must add than I know what crossover mean and how to deal with those settings). So I swapped the cinch to fill the amplifier with the left channel instead, and here it was OK. Playing with the crossover I lowered high frequencies and was able to fill the engine, kerbs, etc. and it was really great. Anyway, something borrow me psychologically speaking, the fact I use the left channel, and not the bass one...

So guys, how did you connect it to your 5.1 system? I guess if you have a 2.0 or 2.1 system you're using the left or right channel. If you have a real 5.1 sound card, do you still use the LFE (bass) exit with rF2, or another one like me (center? I didn't try, seems more logical than left one).

Another question, as I didn't find the answer on documentation or web: I use a (cheap) amplifier for my home-theater system. AFAIK it's a 5 x 16 watt only. the fact is the 6 cinch at the rear are amplified, even the LFE one (passive subwoofer). So my question is: do you think I can anyway connect the LFE amplified exit to fill the BKG2 amplifier, without firing it? My subwoofer is always at the lower level as it's enough louder to me, and I never raise it. Anyway, I'm kind of scared to connect the BKG2 amplifier with such amplified LFE exit (and I don't have any other "line out" to plug on as my HC amplifier is filled directly from optical out of my computer which create the DTS optical exit from the 5.1 rF2 sounds thank to the DTS system of my Asus mobo). I like to play rF2 from my living room using the optical out plugged to my small amplifier, and really would like to add my BKG2 in the loop ;)

Thanks for your advices and feedback!

Edit: Ok, so I tried rF2 with the center output instead of LFE or Left channel and in fact it's just triggered when we have some reverbs exactly like with the bass one. So it seems than currently only Left (or right) channel is the way to plug any bass shaker. Can somebody confirm please? Thanks! :)
    I hope it will be tuned in the future, at least with center channel, and better with the LFE one. Currently, having to choose if I want to feel the left or the right kerbs is sad ;) For other sound, like engine, it's a great feeling! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

Maybe some of you can help me out. Keep in mind I have 1-HDD and 2-SSD drives, one of the SSDs has the rFactor 2 install, I therefore had to manually add the SIMs.

I have SimVibe with a single Buttkicker Gamer 2 attached to my seat. I must say it is amazing in rFactor(1), much better than running it straight through the audio, SimVibe allows you to feel every subtle vibration in the SIM. I will be adding a front transducer soon for added effects.

I am having trouble getting SimVibe to run on rFactor2 due to its Launcher. How did you get around this? I have tried the Advanced tab, this allows for "Before" and "After" actions, it did not help. If I set it up to launch with the rFactor2.exe SimVibe crashes, if I set it up with the rFactor 2-Launcher SimVibe does not trigger. Anyone know how I have to set it up? I would appreciate it.

Thanks

3. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I use Simvibe now (regarding my previous post above where I was Audio only). No problem for me, I set it to launch the rF2 Launcher.

When on track, you probably know you have to wait for around 15 sec, when the plugin icon top left disappear, before plugin get active so before Simvibe turn ON. Also, before launching a game, I always go inside SimCommander Control Center->Settings->Sim Device Manager->Simvibe Extensions and click several times on the speaker icon left from "Enable Seat", and playing with the BKG2 Amplifier + and - buttons, to set the good output level (full Green, no red clip) before launching the game. BTW I had to add the game manually too as it's installed on my D: drive (C: is SSD too).

4. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Yeah same, I get Sim Commander to launch the rF2 launcher and wait on it... so in the game's profile the following settings:

Name: rFactor2
    Game Plugin: rFactor 2 Game Plugin
    Game exe: x:\rFactor2\Launch rFactor.exe
    Parameters: + fullproc
    Wait On: Launch rFactor.exe

Then I just choose single or Multi player and I'm away (after 15 seconds or so ;))

5. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

Thank you YoLolo69 and MrPix

I have all the settings as you guys describe. What I don't see is "When on track, you probably know you have to wait for around 15 sec, when the plugin icon top left disappear, before plugin get active so before Simvibe turn ON". I see the "SimXperiencePlugin_2_0.ddl" in the plugins folder, it does not show up on my scree after getting on track. It just seems not to be triggering for some reason.

Update; I removed the DasheMeterPro plugin and its preferences, I realize now all the plugin icons look the same. I see the plugin icon loading in the upper left corner, it just seems to fail to activate, no vibrations.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Yes, the plugin icon is the same whatever plugin you use AFAIK. I use also DashMeterPro and it wake up when this icon disappear, at the same time my engine vibration start through SimVibe.

Ok, so as you set SimCommander 3 to work with rF1 I assume you know pretty well this software, and you set your configuration as "Extensions Mode" correctly, with the cable connected to the front speaker of the SoundCard you use with SimVibe, and well connected in the BKG2 Amplifier (black cinch)...

First, without saying this is your problem, here a caveat: when I go to SimCommander->rF2 Launcher->rF2 game->Vibration are OK. If I exit the rF2 Game, stay on Launcher, and return in rF2 Game->No Vibration. In summary if I exit the Game, I need to exit the Launcher too, before going back to Launcher->Game to retrieve SimVibe.

What happen when you do what I described above: "before launching a game, I always go inside SimCommander Control Center->Settings->Sim Device Manager->Simvibe Extensions and click several times on the speaker icon left from "Enable Seat", and playing with the BKG2 Amplifier + and - buttons, to set the good output level (full Green, no red clip) before launching the game." Do you have a feedback?

If yes it's probably the way you set your effect in SimVibe for rF2. Just to show you what I did, here my settings for the effect I put for the Gear Change. I provide you this one as its settings are pretty simple, and you feel it immediately when you're in the garage and change gear for test: Intensity -52418 / Shift Tone: 55, without forgetting to turn ON the effect with the little shifter (it's red when inactive). Assuming you tuned the amplifier like I described above (full green, no red clip) you should feel gear change at that point.

Saying that, and knowing you have a similar configuration than me (one BKG2 only), I don't know if I can provide you my settings. I see I can export what they call a "Install-N-Drive" file extension *.iadf, but I have no idea if you can load it safely, assuming I'm using my onboard Realtek HD for Simvibe, and a SB Xtrem Xifi for sound...I don't want to break your own configurations...

Edit: in case you want to try all my rF2 effects with this "Instal-N-Drive" file, and assuming it's probably safe, here it is:
    View attachment 7169

7. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

YoLolo69, thank you providing feedback.

Indeed I followed every step you describe multiple times, when clicking on the seat speaker icon in "Extensions" mode I get vibration. When I get in rF2 I get nothing in 15 seconds nor in 5 minutes. When I removed the DashMeter plugin I saw the icon appearing and disappearing, meaning the plugin is there but it is not activating my Buttkicker.

Again, rF1 works beautifully, I have yet to try Race 07 and others. rFactor 2 is my main SIM, not having the effects is really disappointing.

PS; I am running both SimVibe and rF2 with Admin privileges.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
  8. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Ok, I don't use specific Admin privileges for rF2 (Simvibe have this by default AFAIK).

Ok, now you know than the SimVibe plugin is loaded, as you removed DashMeterPro for this test, I suggest you bring back DashMeterpro as it's a good test to see if Plugins are well loaded in rF2. As I said sometimes I don't get vibes, and in that case DashMeterPro don't work too. So When you'll see it moving, you'll know it's just a SimVibe settings problem (and not an rF2 random problem which can occurs).

I suggest to set, in the rF2 Launcher, the game to be at the lowest resolution (should be 800x600) and windowed mode. Like this you'll be able to have the game on your screen, and at the same time the Control Center of Simvibe (even better if you have several monitors off course ;)). Your wheel and shifter (same as me) will still trigger rF2 even if the focus is on the SimCommander, so you'll be able to play with settings in the Output Tab and feel immediately the effect in real time (when it will work). It's easier than changing sliders and launching the game, or than doing ALT-TAB each time. Working in real time will help you to find the problem quicker for sure, and it's obvious to say than first test will be to raise Engine vibration, and the BKG2 amplifier, to try to get some feedback...I suggest also you create a new rF2 entry to be able to load the "Install-N-Drive" file I provided. perhaps it will work, and you will just have to adjust/remove/add your own effects according your tastes? Having both on screen make settings quick and easy (it's obvious so you possibly already made this) ;)

Edit: Good Luck! You'll be amazed when it will work! :) Sleep time for me ;)

9. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

YoLolo69, thanks again for your feedback.

OK, after doing a new, from scratch, fresh rF2 install, I managed to get SimVibe to work! Despite the fact EVERYTHING from one install to the other is the exact same, SimVibe only works with the NEW one. Honestly I don't get it.

Later in the week I will fine tune the effects, one or another is too strong at the moment overshadowing the rest, in rF1 it is just awesome. I am just happy it works!!!

Time for me to go get some sleep as well. Thank you for your feedback and help, the whys and the hows it didn't work with my original build remains a mystery. Cheers!

Update; SimVibe has stopped working on my new rF2 install as well. It continues to work beautifully on rF1 and newly acquired Reiza Studios GSC and Formula Truck. Very puzzling and annoying :/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  10. Shadowrydr

Shadowrydr Registered

Just be aware... That if you use a Butt Kicker 2, you will not be able to use a USB headset. The sound settings will not allow the frequency's to get through to the BK2 AMP... You will need to use a 3.5mm type headset..

11. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Not so, I use a sound card for SimVibe and a USB headset for 'sound'.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This!