Any updates on Indy?

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by dradecki, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it's not good when curbs look florescent and stand out to much which seems to happen sometimes in a sim
    (unless they've had a bit of work on them)

they need to blend in a bit more, and even if recently painted (or new) in the real world I don't think it would take long for them to look less perfect and the odd blemish here & there, it makes a big difference to a sim track -not the best idea to represent them in a "only just painted" state as it dosn't look so good & reminds me of some of the bad rf1 mod tracks

( p.s the Indianapolis vid overall looks great though overall, looking forward to it )

p.s those Mores curbs look fantastic ( I know these are older curbs )

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What are these grabs from (Mores)? They look wonderfully photo-realistic, unlike most of what we see in rF2. Assuming they are not from Indy, please post a couple of close-ups like that from Indy when they are ready. I don't recall seeing that level of detail even in Mores, despite maxed-out settings at 1920x1200.

I think several people here are echoing my point, which is not that we would want artificially deteriorated appearance, but photo-realistic freshly painted still doesn't look digital/fake/solid/no character marks.

And to confirm, the entire IMS road course was rebuilt from scratch so it is effectively brand new?

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yes, new pave. (google glass - real eye level)

4. cosimo

cosimo Registered

That is 100% Mores I am sure.
    That track for me has always been top notch quality, better than any other.

Go have another look at the curbs there :)

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Took the kart for a spin--the best way to get a good view. Yes, the details are excellent there.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The big eye roll ..........like right. hehehe

I like the old layout better too.

Personally I want undulations and elevations over pancake circuits any day of the week.

Flat circuits are harder to drive for sure, I just find a lot of them tedious.

Flat Nords or Bathurst ....ughh.

Would Indy make a better track with good elevations and cambers , I think so.

7. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Can't wait for the track and the Indycar.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I saw tons of "wear and tear" marks on curbs, skid marks on track, etc., in certain places (the ones where corners are cut and so forth, not randomly throughout the whole track) after only a couple of laps in the Indy race. I hope we'll see those in the final version of the rF2 track.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

the preview video made me think a lot of Loch Drummond given the colors and cleanliness. Looking forward to the track and car.

10. Tuttle

Rubbering.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

If the rubbering and RealRoad in rF2 looks similar, then everyone should be happy :)

However, to date, I haven't seen any effects like that on curbs in the game. Perhaps some screen shots could be posted (from any track)?

Some of the flatter curb stones were almost black from rubbering before the race started. Other sections not driven over still looked like new at the end of the race. Many had what could best be described as skid marks splayed across them. Tons of skid marks on the asphalt, too. So a darkening line I have seen in rF2, but not the types of skid marks that I see at every real track I've ever visited. iRacing Indy road and bike courses captures these perfectly (just as a comparison). The irony is that iRacing's version of the well-used track from several years ago looks more authentic and closer to what I saw on TV this weekend than a "clean" and "new" version of the track would, even though it is effectively a new track. My original point was that after only one race it would look used, so we should have a version that is representative. As it turned out, it already looked used before the race started just from the practice and qualifying runs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  12. Tuttle

Everything in the life has a cost. :)

The Real Road it's using all stages to give you the dynamic effect of groove line, marbles and wet...and at the same time to manage the standard diffuse, normal and specular. This means everything you see along the road in terms of those effects it's done in real time, without using static effects. The cost it's the art quality needs to be normalized in some way, the benefit it's everything it's dynamic, not static (as, for example, a skidmark already in there, every session, forever...).

Sometimes we are using decals for little details along the track, or using more road maps to offer more variations, but big stuff you put above the road has to be affected by the RealRoad to avoid a silly look when things are changing, like rubbering, wet/dry, marbles etc.. This is why you can't see a static art effect above the road like other titles. It's because the normalized art involved in the RR technology.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

:)

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

So it's not possible to just make the curbs dirty?

15. Tuttle

Of course. As we always do.

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Good. I like my curbs like I like my women :D

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Ran over, super greasy, and wide

:eek: :D

18. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Just thought of something, that mainly affects Indy (and more specifically, the 500)..... In real life they start the Indy 500 with 3 wide rows, instead of 2 wide. Will this be included, or is it simply not possible (yet?) ?????

19. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... :D

20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned