Any tips/tweaks for slow computers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by breick, Feb 14, 2013.

1. breick

breick Registered

Hi guys,

I bought the sim last week, i ran 2 online races, and did hundred of tests. Running alone its fine, but with other cars on track i have some FPS drops, usually the game runs fine in 30-100 FPS, but sometimes drops too much, micro-stutters, 9 FPS was the minimum, and it kills online racing.

My system is:

Intel Core2Duo E7400 2,8GHZ
    2GB RAM
    Geforce GTS 450
    Win 7 32bits

Video settings:

Off to vsync, hdr, fxaa, road, environment reflections, sun, etc... only rain drops on
    Resolution: 1280X720
    Circuit details: LOW (big difference from low to full)
    Player detail: HIGH (doesn't make difference in FPS, LOW, medium or FUll)
    Opponent detail: LOW (makes difference in FPS, and should be LOW due to 2gb RAM)
    Texture Detail: Full (makes NO difference in FPS from LOW to FUll)
    AA: 4x Level 5 (again makes no difference in FPS from level 0 bilinear to level 5 4XX)

So i ask you guys if there is something i can do to prevent this stutter, drop on FPS thing.

I have already tried to put nvidia stuff in "high performance" but no success, i've tried to put the .exe in high priority no change, i kill a lot of windows process, 2GB ram is fine, i checked with 20 cars, and its 1,7/1,8 GB use.

Thx

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Auto detail fps works wonders if you set it to 30 fps on slow pc's :)

3. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Honestly, please for gods sake upgrade at least your ram. Windows 7 itself uses up almost all your memory after it booted.

4 GB of Ram is not enough for rF2, if you run Win7. At least for me it wasnt. I use maximum Detail Settings though. I bet your fps drops are due to lack of memory and the computer having to shove around data to the hard drive. I also had micro stuttering and fps drops with rF1, once i got more ram it never happened again.

But really, Memory is so cheap nowadays... get at least 4 GB for like 20-30$ and you should be good.

As with rF1, my observation is that rF1 and rF2 have mostly graphic-card related performance, once you got a half-decent cpu and enough ram, all that matters fps-wise is a graphics card.

Although you would definately need more ram, once you would turn details up with a better graphics card, you need more ram as well. So basically i would just get more ram and leave it with that, if you can live with the level of detail. That is also the cheapest option.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  4. breick

breick Registered

Hermmie Windows in Iddle use only 400MB RAM.

I have no Aero or something, my windows looks like "98 version", or classic.

Its all grey, its all about performance.

I monitored memory use, and never reach 2GB with this settings.

Rf1, gsc 2012, race07, gtr 2 runs fine.

5. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

All i know is that any micro stutters i ever had were memory related. 2 GB is not enough in my opinion. Just my two cents.

6. JGraf

JGraf Registered

adjust settings with nvidia control panel, application override, AA 2x, AF 4x.
    game config AA = NONE
    2gb memory wasn't enuf when running teamspeak3, and trying to open gmail with the game minimized, but vista is a memory hog to begin with.

7. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Breick, have you checked if maybe your CPU is at its limits? Especially when things like AA settings don´t make much of a difference I tend to suspect a CPU bottleneck.
    Also I wouldn´t disount the memory argument, just because you never hit 2 GB in task manager. I don´t know exactly about Windows 7, but Windows XP had a habbit of always trying to keep some free physical memory, just in case the user wants to run another program, so it started swapping to the pagefile way before the physical RAM was exhausted.

Cheers,
    Marcus

8. breick

breick Registered

Yes, i have checked CPU, its always more than 85/90% so i think this is the limit, which is bad thing for me, because CPU upgrade means that i have to buy new motherboard, memory ram and CPU.

But i will try to borrow 1GB RAM from by brother, to see if it makes any difference.

9. corsa

corsa Registered

Looking at your specs, I think the two weakest points as far as rF2 is concerned would be your RAM, and then your Core2 Duo CPU.

So first, as others have said, I would update to at least 4 GB of RAM.

Next, I would look at upgrading the CPU to an i5 or i7.

Final thing would be to upgrade the graphics card, but there is no point updating that until the RAM and CPU are both upgraded.

Also, I notice you are running 32-bit Win 7. I would also recommend upgrading to 64-bit Win 7 (doesn't cost anything to upgrade). rF2 is of course a 32-bit program, but 64-bit Win 7 will allow the system to make better use of the RAM when you upgrade it.

Hope that helps!

10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

No offenses, but you'll be able to run Microprose GP1 World Circuit with that hardware, tops.

11. Diablo

Diablo Registered

You could try changing the Windows 7 "Power Plan" to "(high) performance", "balanced" being the default. That basically disables all power saving features, which might have an influence on performance. Or is your CPU overheating and throttling because of that?

Then you could also try to set:
    Code:
    Skip updates=”0″ // (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)
    in your Userdata\player\Controller.ini file. If you notice a frame rate difference with values greater than 0 (edited), I would suggest you upgrade your CPU, because you don´t want to lose FFB fidelity, do you? ;)

Oh, and since it just sprung to mind, have you tried lowering the number of visible vehicles? Also the "speaker setup" and number of audio effects in the settings could influence performance.

12. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Yeah right, but you failed to name the number of instances he would have to run simultaneously to exhaust his resources. 1024, is it?

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I see others keep saying upgrade to at least 4Gb of ram and I have to mention that with your system being 32bit, you won't want any more than that as your windows won't be able to use it. Your CPU is a little light, but still not too bad for gaming as most games don't know how to do multi-threading anyways. The biggest issue with that CPU is the speed. If you do a little research you might find that you can overclock that to get it up to 3.4 or something which would help out quite a bit. The GTS 450 is also a little light, and you might be able to overclock that as well, but again, do some research to learn how to do so properly so you don't hurt anything. The main concern when overclocking is heat, so watch voltages and make sure you have some good heatsinks. :)

There is one other thing to consider if you don't mind the spending of money and can figure out how to get things setup. If you buy AMD RAM, you are able to use their free RAMdisk software and setup up to a 6Gb RAMdisk. This can be used to set Windows swapfile to as well as all temp directories and you could even use it for running your game from which will help eliminate issues with drive speed. This will get around the Windows limit for ram on a 32bit version of Windows as well so you could easily install 16Gb of ram and set up a couple of RAMdisks with no issues.

Now on to the issue of the stuttering. First off have you installed the latest drivers from nVidia? Second of all, kill any AA you have in game and set the AA level in the nVidia software, that should help smooth out the game as well as the FPS. Make sure you don't have vsync on unless you can maintain a minimum of what your monitor is running.

14. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I have a E6600@2.4Ghz, in XP, with a HD 4870, 2GB RAM DDR2.

I have no problem running with 29 cars, online and offline, with medium high graphics settings and 1024x768 res (and may be with a little higher res i can have few more fps, but i have the desktop in 1024x768 and use the same res in rF2).

Sure, some compromizes are a must, for instance i set 6 visible opponents and AA to level 1 with FXAA enabled.
    Differences between HDR on and off are un-noticeable in my system.

Attached my display setting.
    I have no stutters at all and i have low fps at race start with a full field of 30 cars (about 25/30 fps) but after T1 i am in the 50/60 fps range.

May be the main issue in your system is the OS which requires more RAM compared to XP.

Attached Files:

15. breick

breick Registered

I don't use Win 64 because of old games, and because i have only 2gb ram.

Thx for help, but all that upgrade will cost the money i don't have right now.

As i said, i will try 3GB RAM, before buy more.

16. breick

breick Registered

I could run GP1 and Gp2 in K6-II 450 MHZ, 64MB RAM and 4MB video onboard, with 800X600.

17. breick

breick Registered

Yes i'm using high performance, no power saving here LOL, no visual effects like aero, etc, this helps to save RAM, and i'm using 16 effects on sound, like rf1.

now speaker setup? what options shoud i chose? because i have very simple sound stuff, please let me know which consumes less stuff.

what about this skip updates?? i have g27 by the way.

thx

18. breick

breick Registered

I have latest drivers, and i think 32bit windows can handle 3,25GB RAM, i will try AA testing, vsync already off.

19. breick

breick Registered

i will try your settings, my game runs like yours, but the problem is the drop FPS.......... 9 was the minimum.

Now about the OS, how much memory your system use in iddle, mine 450-480MB. Its pretty like XP, because i disabled everything in W7 video stuff, like aero, etc.

Oh and disabled replays too, for not access to the HDD.

I could install XP in old 40GB HDD, but the thing is, i don't want to waste "1 license", plus a lot of new sims, will not run in XP.

thx

20. Diablo

Diablo Registered

I think "stereo speakers" should be the least demanding option. Skip updates at 0 updates FFB at the highest possible rate, whatever that might be. Setting it to 1 halves that rate and so on. Since FFB calculation takes CPU time you might gain some FPS by reducing how often it gets calculated. But I would strongly discourage that as a permanent solution, because it will lose you FFB fidelity. It was only a suggestion to see, if it is indeed your CPU that needs more punch.