Any plans to implement depth of field / motion blur?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by o0thx11380o, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Tortue G

Tortue G Registered

I agree with other guys, please don't do this!!! It's ugly and unrealistic...

Motion blur is done by eyes, if game use motion blur, I have nausea :eek: ...

And as said, deth of field is done by using 3D stereoscopic, I don't want artificial blur (and I don't think ISI will do this ;) !).

2. tjc

tjc Registered

It`s not really something I`d like to see in rf2 but as has been said, it can look ok for screens etc.

If it is going to implemented in rf2 then it should be a toggle-able option allowing the user to have turned off or turned on imo. :)

3. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I don't have those effects in my eyes, don't see why I'd want them in the sim.

4. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Oh no, please no in that way.

If you add those effects take a look at Gran Turismo 5, thats the way, i would like to see in replays, not in race.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

One thing I like about rF2 is how clear the 1960s car shapes are in distance.

As long as the effect does not spoil that.

Shift it a prime example get a long straight you can't make out what the cars are.

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Same here.
    In reality I can focus on distant objects or on a road sign as I pass next to it.

With depth of field and motion blur implemented in a game, I'm no longer able to do that, because game decides for me. My computer has to obey me, not decide for me ;)

[​IMG]
    106 km/h and already that much blur on the dashboard?
    I never had trouble reading my speed gauge in a real car while going 106 km/h :)

These kind of effects are meant for games that don't take reality too seriously and are best left there ;)

They can be useful for making screenshots and videos, but that's not top priority in case of rF2. Top priority is physics, real road, weather, collisions, damage, optimizations, multiplayer, etc. As long as these areas need some serious work to be done, it's not the right time to talk about polishing replays.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  7. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Cinematic effects like this are meant to focus the viewers' eyes on the director's point-of-view. But first and foremost this is a racing simulator, not a movie-maker. While I'm racing, I am not interested in any camera point-of-view or anybody else's point-of-view, only the driver's-eye-view. So if ISI were to waste their time on such effects, I would hope it would not be applied to a driver's point of view when racing. The only place where depth-of-field could be realistically applied is in regard to visor and windshield dirt/water. Although I'd prefer not to see any at all, my eyes certainly would not see it in focus when driving. In fact the only time my eyes would be focused on such dirt in real life is to point out the incompetence of the crew member responsible for the towel and spray-cleaner or tear-offs.

8. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Right, when you race, agree, but in replays will be nice to simulate the camera effects.

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

GT5 makes great use of DOF in its replays. They look very realistic and televisiual. I would love to see rF2 attempt something similar as replays look a little flat and lifeless.

Of course, DOF has no practical use while racing and I would never like to see it implemented in that way. I'm not sure this is what the op was suggesting or perhaps I read it wrong.

Motion blur is a complete no-no, full stop. Leave that for the arcade racers.

10. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I just wanted motion blur and depth of field in replays... and would not mind it in cockpit with option to turn off :)

11. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

But what about cameras? While I do not want to see this during racing, I think it would be great for replays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Blur effect almost always happens with camera views. It only happens from a driver's standpoint... IF your view strays from your actual point of reference (i.e turn helmet to quickly glance out of a side window at speed). We hardly ever do that for the obvious reason.
    That's the only time I personally, have ever noticed it.
    It does NOT happen as you look out the windscreen. What you do get, is a lot of resonance... depending on chassis construction and flex.
    The B-16 I got to do a few runs in years ago, had huge resonance between 100 and 130 mph... then it all went away after that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  13. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Depth of field is a must!! I want my replays to look awesome. If you don't like it, turn it off in the options. How about that? Options are always good to have, isn't it?

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The problem with depth of field is in real life it changes according to what we look at. In the game it just simply can't know where we're focusing at. Certainly nice to have it as an option that can be set to on/off in the actual game, but that's about it.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's possible something will find it's way into replays, but not driving, I think.

16. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I hated that effect - particularly being told where to point my eyes.

17. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Thats exactly what I want to hear - sounds very good. After all a replay / screenshot is supposed to look like you are watching TV / taking a photo - and they dont focus on both the car and the background. Thats why it looks unnatural in replays when its all sharp as it is now. Also it would mean less that a lot of trees, buildings etc are not top quality on most tracks. On the other hand when you drive you should be able to focus on what you want. So to me that sounds like the perfect solution :)

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yep, having dof in replays only makes sense :)
    Motion blur could be useful while driving though to help convey a sense of speed, as long as it isn't terribly overdone, which is usually very quickly achieved with these kinds of effects..

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

DoF will really overhaul the way replays look. I think it's essential for realistic looking replays.

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Personally I`m not that bothered about having for driving anyway so this sounds good to me. :)