Any plans to implement depth of field / motion blur?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by o0thx11380o, Jul 8, 2013.

1. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Just wondering if anyone has heard of any plans to implement these features into rfactor 2 before it goes gold. DOF and motion blur seem to be the standard now with modern games and race sims alike. I personally love these features and I think it would be a fantastic addition to the sim. It would add such great immersion and give some really stunning screenshots as well :)

Image below posted by Twista in the screenshot thread. Great shot Twista :)

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I will go right ahead and say that I hate both effects. :D

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Agree with you there.

But I also agree with the OP, where it is nice for screenshots and replays.

I would like to have it for those purposes. But I wouldn't use it to play.

The depth of field seen in most (all?) games ressemble a lot more the camera blur than what you see with your own eyes... when you focus on something, the rest isn't blurred like you see with a camera or in a game.

4. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Thats where I am really hoping Oculus Rift 2.0 will come into play. I really hope they add a little camera to the inside of the helmet that tracks your eye movements and then does real time DOF based on where you are looking. As unlikely as it is to see this any time soon a boy can dream can't he :)

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Wouldn't like whilst in sim car but would perhaps use for replay
    ( these features no doubt would be very fps hungry so maybe it wouldn't be the best move)

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

I absolutly loathe those effects. DoF tries to simulate the way your peripheral vision is not as clear as your main focus, and rather than everything being in focus in the game, it blurs and focuses at varying distances.
    DoF in a game like an FPS usually works where you are pointing your crosshair. But that is assuming you are always looking directly where the crosshair is....which you are not...so you get these annoying blurry ass patches when you are trying to look away from the crosshair. How it would work in a racing game is a bit beyond me.
    And don't we have enough blur with our LCD screens to not need additional, movie-like motion blur XD

7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

If you have plans to implement DOF and Motion Blur, please cancel them :D (they are not good for stereoscopic 3D anyway)

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sorry but there's just absolutely no need for artificial DOF with any form of stereoscopic 3D, that includes the oculus rift. If you artificially implemented DOF (like image below) but to a stereoscopic 3D image then the moment you shift your eye's depth of focus from near (i.e. on the cigarette) to far (i.e. onto the street below) with or without changing the direction of your eyes, all you're going to see is an in focused blurring background which has a completely negative affect on the end results. Which highlights another point, natural DOF also has nothing to do with your eyes directional movement but with the eyes focus point determined by the contraction of the lens. You would naturally achieve and notice such DOFs when looking at any stereoscopic 3D image with a significant enough depth difference between two objects. Because the image below is viewed in 2D and at the artists discretion, the artificial DOF is somewhat exaggerated for both artistic and story-telling purposes (i.e. "viewer pay attention to this cigarette").

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  9. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

Has depth of field ever been implanted (during actual gameplay) in a racing game before? I don't know how the game would know where you want to look.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That's a good point. The only one that comes to mind is the Need for Speed Shift series where it's severity increases with speed to give a greater sense of speed.

[​IMG]

Go even faster (travelling twice as fast in fact in this second image) and it gets even heavier.

[​IMG]

11. Adrian

Adrian Registered

We could have many more awesome looking screenshots with these features (and people seem to judge how games look in pics instead of in motion). Also I wonder if you could do something like having really low quality textures for anything that's blurred to increase fps, i'm no programmer so that many not do anything :p

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I never noticed in my real car that the interior of the car gets that blurry when driving faster on the autobahn. :) More seriously, if ISI really implements motion blur and depth of field please make it as easy as possible to disable these gimmicks. I REALLY don't want these on my 3DTV and not on my future head mounted display (nor would I want it on a 2D screen). If there is some need for an advertizing screenshot feature implement something like a raytracer only for screenshots (as GT5 has done).

13. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I guess there are two sides to this. One side wants realistic views as you would see in real life with your eye. The other side wants realistic views from a camera / a movie like experience. I love the simulation of a movie like experience above realistic eye sight. Most high end racing games are implementing motion blur but only a few are doing the in cockpit blur. I can kind of understand why some people are against depth of field in cockpit view but I dont know why people would be against both these features in a replay view... as a replay is the simulation of cameras and not your own eyesight. Anyway I hope ISI adds these or rfactor 2 is going to look behind the times pretty quick :(

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

No one here is saying that these features should not be included in rfactor 2, only that it should be optional (as one would expect from ISI software).

15. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I haven't used 3d glasses with a game before but are you saying that depth of field happens naturally as you look at objects in the game with the glasses? If that's the case then I am going to get a pair tomorrow :)

16. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

If possible then needs to be done, assuming can be a choice / turned off.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

3D shutter glasses, Passive 3D displays, Oculus Rift's.......like i said....."any form of stereoscopic 3D" will produce depth of field.

Let me put it another way....Depth-Of-Field is intrinsic of "3D", it simply wouldn't be 3-dimensional if you didn't experience any dof.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  18. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

Very interesting use, got to give them props for at least trying something different, although I doubt I'd run with it on. Might have some uses in replay though, first image looks "cinnematic"

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

DOF really is a must for realistic looking replays and screenshots. There is no real need for it while driving though.

20. frankwer

frankwer Registered

Please don`t implement this type of gimmick effects.