Any news for the future update coming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baboulinet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thing is RF2 wont be feature complete even when its v1.0/Gold as ISI have stated they will not just be supporting the product but adding to it for years to come, thats not just MODs/Tracks being added. So technically you could say RF2 is going to be Beta for a very long time ;)

2. Mechamorafa

Mechamorafa Registered

What would happen to these 20% of people, that insist in Windows XP, if rFactor 2 came with great graphics with all the Directx11 effects and also was compatible with DirectX9? Just like rFactor 1 was compatible with DirectX7, 8 and 9. What would be the big problem with that? Even if they made rf2 DirectX11 exclusive, the XP guys would adjust to that and upgrade their computers. That is how the technology evolve, and that is how the DirectX9 replaced DirectX8 in the first place.

What you are writing about processor architecture makes no sense at all. What does it have to do with the subject? What matters is that today we have faster computers and more efficient hardware to make better games. For me is as simple as that. It doesn't matter how fast would our computers be if we had a different architecture. This is nonsense.

Now, if you really think that DirectX11 is the same thing as DirectX9, only with "minor boost in frame rate", I think I'm losing my time discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfrSaIY0YQA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNPwCf4ANU&feature=related

3. steve30x

steve30x Registered

The problem is people are starting to get antsy because they want more yesterday. People are out of patience and dont have the ability to wait anymore.

4. Novis

Novis Registered

You are mixing up so many things so I had to respond. Haven't you read a single post in this discussiion? :)

First: If it's not close to feature complete it's not a beta.

Second: When they release version 1.0 doesn't mean they can't add features to it later. It's called a post release road map. It's a good thing as it means that you can play the game during the last bit of the development stage.

And yes, just beacuse they release a gold version doesn't exclude that we will get betas of later versions.

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Your argument is based on the idea that just because the game was made in DX11 the graphical features would be greatly expanded. This is a flawed argument as it doesn't even use all of the advanced features of DX9. Unless you can factually demonstrate that DX9 is a limitation to the game as it stands you have no argument.

More, your conjecture that RF2 would force that 20% to upgrade is eronious unless you can prove that these people:

A - Have the means to upgrade.
    B - Will actively do so for rFactor 2 alone when they haven't for other titles.

Not to mention that a massive rewriting of the graphics engine would be required greatly lengthening development time, a point I've made already that you conveniently ignored. The difference between DirectX9 and 10/11 is much bigger than 8 and 9 or even 7 and 9 - it's such a change up that they weren't even going to call DX10 DirectX at first, it was supposed to mark the start of a new chapter.

As for my argument about architecture, as you utterly failed to get it, was what is known as a supporting argument to show the importance of legacy support over pure advancement. You're clearly wasting your time as you seem to be incapable of understanding fairly simple rhetorical devices.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

First: eh? it can be a beta all it likes with any amount of features in or out.
    Secondly: yep I said exactly that just used different words!

my post also came with a heavily fronted tongue in cheek....hence the ;) smiley

7. Novis

Novis Registered

Doh, I will not bother to go down this road again. This confusion exists exactly because of the above. You take an expression from an area where you probably have no expertise and use it to your liking. Suit your self and continue to argue when you really don't know what you are discussing.

8. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

That one's my bad, edited, didn't keep track of your name. Sorry, love ya really!

9. Mechamorafa

Mechamorafa Registered

The version of the rFactor 2 that we are all playing is v1.005. What do you mean "when they release version 1.0"?

I really think that many people here are fooling themselves thinking this game will have big changes in this 5 remaining months of beta.

10. flitzi

flitzi Registered

LOL

we are talking about a realtime computer game and you are posting videos of ray tracing? very funny.

And tesselation? what do you want tesselated, the tarmac? come on, we don't need those features. Everything that we need can properly done with DX9. Problem is, they already overloaded even that, so it's not possible to get good framerates.

This talk about newer DirectX technology is nonsense, it's all down to the developer to do the things right, sure DX10/11 makes some things easier to code if you understand them, but as we can see they even struggle with DX9.
    So asking them to implement DX11 features makes no sense, even if DX10/11 would provide anything we need, which I doubt.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yep you've totally lost me now too lol :D

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

alright Mr Pedantic replace v1.0 with the word Gold and theres that problem solved, yes we get it you dont like this Beta so why are you here whinging so much about it?! You dont see me sitting on the Coldplay forums slagging them off and moaning all the time do you!? ;)

Besides no one apart from Gjon will know exactly how long "Beta" or "Test" or whatever you wanna call it will last, the general consensus is 6months but that could be cut short or extended....its ready to go Gold when its ready to go Gold!

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I think Mechamorafa and SluisHamilton are friends. :p

14. les

les Registered

ok does it matter that they say this is rf1 updated nope some of us here think what ISI has done with this release is incredible if you dont like it hit the refund key, but there are alot of us in this forum that really enjoys what ISI has done so far, we are waiting for an update, when they do update alot of things should get fixed. in the mean time enjoy what you have, this is a beta if you dont like rf2 then use the refund it works. i have a friend i told him check rf2 out, he did he didnt like it and hit refund and within a day he got his money back

he said i quote I will be back when they have it finished, i like rf1 and he said rf2 is alot better than 1 and i will buy it when its finished.

15. coops

coops Banned

I really think that many people here are fooling themselves thinking this game will have big changes in this 5 remaining months of beta.
    quote ^^^
    well i bloody hope so as we have not got a lot of things running 100% yet.......... so there must be a lot more to come.

or r u playing something were not. the quote at the top comes from an idiot im sure.

16. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

:*

17. Novis

Novis Registered

Don't blame me. I think you managed to do that by your own. :)

18. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

OK, so you want cars done in DX9? Can do. Here are two of my screenshots of pCARS, old build (from last year), on med to high settings, running in DX9:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Whenever someone goes on about how DX9 is totally worthless and everything needs to be DX11, I just have to shake my head... pCARS looks identical in DX9 and DX11 modes. Look at the pCARS community galleries sometimes to see what is possible with DX9.

And we'll see how the rF2 graphics turn out when they release. If they fix the most blatant glitches (windshield weirdness, jaggy AA, screwy shadows, etc.) and get it to run properly it's already good enough for me, but I know it's going to look much better eventually, since many of the effects they've got in storage are turned off at the moment.

And FWIW, when in the cockpit I feel more at home in rF2 than in pCARS at the moment. pCARS gives me the impression of being shot with a (video)camera, and they seem to be shooting for photorealism type of imagery. My eyes are not cameras, photos don't show the world like my eyes see it. There are parts in rF2's graphical representation that feel more natural to my eyes, but I'll reserve final judgment for when they're actually finished with it.

19. Novis

Novis Registered

The graphics by SMS is simply stunning. pCARS is putting the high standards from Shift to an even higher level. Hopefully the game will deliver more than just eye candy.

20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It already is more than eye candy. pCARS is not Shift, it is a real simulator, and will only get better with time. I say this as a sim racer of 18 years, from IndyCar Racing and F1GP2 to all the modern sims (rF1&2, GTR1&2, GTL, RACE/GTREvo/Race On/etc., nKP, LFS) and most of the ones in between, like GPL, Sports Car GT etc.

The thing is though that SMS already had absolutely fantastic graphics engine in Shift and Shift 2, but back then they were seriously hampered in the physics department due to EA meddling. ISI on the other hand has had a great physics engine all this time and has been able to work on making it better, but the graphics engine wasn't so great back then. So now both are coming in from opposite angles, one where the graphics have always been great but it's the first time they're doing accurate sim physics with that particular engine, and the other where the physics have always been great but they're trying to up the visual ante this time. And it doesn't help that SMS's graphics dept. is bigger than the whole of ISI.

Not expecting rF2 to hit pCARS level, but it should still easily be more than adequate.