Another great modding team is switching from rfactor to AC!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I'm not wondering what's wrong with anything "FFS listen to what I say" :rolleyes:

A system which tracks all users, sure. I'm game for that. No sim can compete online because of the system iRacing have in place. I'd love a similar thing here.

I'm not sure why you thought my post was aimed directly at you, though. I didn't mention you, nor quote you. I quoted someone else and was adding what I've experienced in support of that.

2. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

And as someone who does some public racing from time to time, the biggest problem for me is that when looking at the server list you have NO idea about contents used. You can see the CURRENT track (and not possible extra tracks in use by the vmod that you still need for now), and no info about the car(s) in use UNLESS someone puts it in the name, and even then you aren't completely sure, because sometimes it can be something modified or something..... And then if you see a server you THINK has the car(s) you want to use, at the track you'ld like, you select it, and it says mod not found, because you don't have that particular Vmod, so you still don't know anything. And if that is all correct, you often have to hope (well, especially if you have only ISI content which rules out a lot of servers to begin with) that other players will go to the same problem to end up joining the server.....

That is THE reason for me that when there were official ISI servers I did quite some racing online (because I KNEW I had all required content, as did a lot of other players, so you'ld have some competition), and the reason why nowadays I sometimes look in the lobby, don't see a suited server on first sight (maybe I can join some, but for reasons listed above you don't know), so I just go have some offline fun (which can still be nice, because in comparison to other games/sims I tried, rF2 has some brilliant AI, especially on some of the newer tracks!!!) instead of waisting time looking for a suited but usually (nearly) empty server, because the fuller servers most of the time have mods I don't have.

3. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'm an offline racer only, so some stuff I might not be able to judge or comment about.

Recently I was briefly wondering if I should look into AC because some of their visuals are breathtaking. I'm not the best driver in the world, and I have a cheap wheel, so I can't comment on the realism aspect in depth.

What I do know however is that AC still seems bits and pieces. There's hardly two different make cars you can run against each other. They have their laser-scanned tracks, but most of the world outside Europe is missing. What is there for content?

With RF2 - which initially felt a bit the same - now we have groups like ASR giving us top Formula One mods, full season 1992. F1 RFT2013 is excellent for modern racing, and I can find seven very high quality modern F1 tracks for them to race on (and the remaining calendar entries in various states of conversion). URD gives us proper GTE cars for endurance racing, prototypes are being worked on, and Enduracers is coming.

With some of the newer content (ASR, 32Pixels) the cars look every bit as good as AC, and the tracks are coming closer all the time, now also with the new lighting model. We got night racing. We get AI pitstops. We have two more historic tracks upcoming and there's might at some time be a 1967 grid to race in.

On top of it I like the ultra customization that RF2 permits. Only the cars and tracks installed that I want, setting every little detail of every session as I want it including AI settings down to what setup they should use.

I really don't see what AC would offer me currently over RF2 in terms of a complete racing experience. Yes, I'd love if all our cockpits looked like their official cars, and if we had trackside grass, DoF, those nice sunset colors. But if the choise is between slightly less poshed up GFX and a full field of 1992 V12 monsters with Senna and Mansel slugging it out on various tracks, or having only that Lotus to run on Spa and Silverstone... very easy decision really.

4. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

I think the reason is quite evident: on average a good mod for AC is 15-20 time more successful than a comparable one for rF2 in terms of downloads (30.000 vs 1.500 on RDepartment).

Physics wise rF2 is a much more competent platform, but realizing a mod on it requires a lot of investment and knowledge for a very limited returns in visibility.

Sad but true, just a small percentage of drivers is able to appreciate the subtle but relevant differences in vehicle and (mostly) tire dynamics, so AC is more than enough also for the most part of experienced sim-racers and, by consequence, modders.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm hoping rft & formula sim racing continue to add too enhance / improve their track packs sooner or later we'll have a complete f1 quality track pack to latest shaders etc

not everyone's cup of tea maybe I know

nice to see some historic tracks in progress too

rf2 dos'nt need 100's of mods ...just a nice selection of quailty ones & momentum seems to be slowly building regardless of what's happening in other titles

6. coops

coops Banned

From what i hear and have read AC is easier to mod for than RF2. So to me this means they can get there work out to the public more quicker, Great if you just want to get your name out there. But right now RF2 is a mile ahead on features for racing.
    Not modding for RF2 just might be a choice at this time for them. I believe we have plenty of good mods for RF2 and mods still being made so we are not going to be lacking in them it might take a bit longer to get top quality mods but that will happen as ppl keep learning more and more. So i will be here watching and waiting as i have from the start. Suggestion sometimes its good to have a break and come back a build or 2 later more mods, better builds and updates to the sim and mods.

Adrianstealth rf2 dos'nt need 100's of mods ...just a nice selection of quailty ones & momentum seems to be slowly building regardless of what's happening in other titles.

^^ Very well said.

7. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

I'm mainly an offline racer too, so good AI is essential to me and I also prefer to race those type of cars you stated.

Another thing is that I play ISI sims with keyboard since the days of F1C and good steering assist is essential to me, something which is completely missing from AC too.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

It is a pity that rf2 won`t see the DRM mod (well, at least for now) but I guess that`s the teams call...

I`d love to drive it in rf2... maybe one day.

(Unless I get myself Steve`s rf2 :p)

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Doesn't AC include their own modding tools? That could have a hand in why they leave rf2.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If you mainly race offline then don't bother with AC, unless you like hotlapping on your own! Their AI has a long long way to go before it's anywhere near RF2 standards.

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Sort of but not really....

Well last I checked they just seemed to be visual texturing & packaging tools.

It wasn't like you could create a vehicle or circuit in the tools they provide you with. That part was exactly the same method as here.

Of course it could have changed or I was doing it wrong... Lol

12. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

+ 1 to that.
    I sometimes read the occasional negative posts about the sky falling in and wonder if perhaps there is another version of RF2 out there as the one I am driving is AWESOME.

At this moment I am in a hot lapping challenge at the Nordschleif in ISI stock GT Cars. The latest track is a masterpiece. I could probably use up a month on it if I wasnt careful.
    We are doing a race of 1 or 2 hours tonight inthe same cars.
    However I need to find time to prep for a race on Sunday at the Hungaroring in the great ASR OWC 1992 cars. They are inspired by the pinnacle of motorsport from appr 13 years ago but of course to call them the F word would infringe copyright so we dont do that.
    BTW Their new Ferrari from 1991 is a masterpiece.
    In the next week I will do club races at two tracks I have never seen.

My RF2 Install has about 30-40 tracks now and more cars than I have time to drive.
    Having BIG FUN here.

We did some 2014 awards which I might copy here somewhere but nominations for the best non ISI car included.
    BES 1.0 GT3 by Petra GTC
    URD GTE
    URD DT5
    ASR 1992 and Ferrari 643
    WSGT Megane,
    Ferrari 458 Challenge Stradale, ,
    Mazda 787B by Makcorp,
    and they are just a few the LMP1 Lola by Stefan Woudenberg and the Spec Miata deserve honourable mention too.

Maybe some ppl want to fill a cabinet with cars like a display or something. But there are more already than I can handle if I want to drive them.

13. pitkin

pitkin Registered

I mainly race offline, so AI is the most imprtant thing for me. I run RF2, Assetto Corsa and pCars currently. I find RF2 is easily the best offline experience and the AI are really good. Assetto just seems a bit flat against the AI, like they're just hot lapping with you rather than racing. pCars is still improving, but again I don't feel it against the AI. RF2 is the only sim at the moment that is capable of delivering an excellent race against the AI, it's just a shame there's not more good content in it that can be tied together to make a season of something.

I was hoping for more historical content, which looked promising at the start of the games life but this seems to have waned a bit. I still find myself going back to RF1 for the sheer delight of racing a Lotus Cortina one day and then an F1 1965 on another.

I guess Assetto is the best place to show off someones car models as it looks really nice in the game, which may have some effect on a decision to move platforms. RF2 can look top notch but it's a case of when the GFX are good, they're very very good, when they're bad they're rubbish.

My worry with RF2 is that the more modders that leave, the more will follow them. If the DRM mod is on another platform, perhaps the guys who maybe working on some tracks that would go with the mod will join them.

I hope more collaborations with Rieza can be done, they have some nice historical tracks in GSC which would go well with RF2's 60's cars. If there was loads of 60's tracks to race on, surely the sim would be more attractive to the guys behind P&G for GTR2 and Historix for RF1? Once big mods like those are out on a sim then a big following comes too.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Nimugp has some good points about online racing with rF2. The MM needs some improvements. I started a 3rd party server browser that would help a lot. I got hung up on a few other projects and then the holidays and never released it. I will try to pick it back up over the next few weeks. The ISI servers were guaranteed to be joinable. But even servers hosting 3rd party content could be guaranteed joinable if they made proper use of GetMod. Maybe people should prefix their server names with [GetMod] if they are properly hosted. If everyone did that tag then they would sort together too.

15. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

Good move for them. I guess this just shows the current state of rF2, and not only with modding.

16. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

why did rF1 was the best modding platform for years , why did all those fantastic mods come to rF1 (some of them , others were really sh..)

why modders choose it instead of GTL or GTR2 (with rain, driver animations and a lot of features more)

- no starforce, no encryptions , all was simple ,very straightforward, drag and drop , mod installed, your cousin give you a couple of skins to play online tomorrow two clics , play

- FFB plugins (they overhaul driving experience and inmersion)

ISI did not change what modders thing they did wrong, and now all that simplicity and easy way have gone.

and if i want to play with 4 friends online with a certain car in a specific track with some custom skins , well is not a simple thing to be done in 2 minutes. is not easy

if we want to move to another car in another track , more of the same .

some of you guys talk like if modding is a question of five minutes,

modders that were gods now are evils that want to make some kind of punishement to ISI....

to make one car you have to put HOURS of work , i dont know exactly , but depending of the skill of the modeller 200-350 hours of modelling and texturing , then you have to add skinning , later select platform and with that in mind ,integration, make sounds and physics.

the time you need to put a car ingame, is the same in case of both games (more or less) Fmod maybe need more work and now physics....

believe me, is not more hard to work in one game or in another, you do not need more skill or time or motivation for selecting one of them , ISI have more features and have much more potential to offer in the physics aspect, but that do not mean more hard to do or more time demanding. with the tires ......... well for rf1 modders need more or less 5 years of work and investement to start doing really good tires (and maybe 4 or 5 guys did them)

now is quite difficult and the best thing you can do is to take what KS or ISI give you and start working with tose tires, is the only way to know you are using something lets say "realistic"

in a few hours you have the car in both games then comes the betatesting and physics work

so the really hard work 80-90 % of it is done BEFORE you decide the platform you will use

so please do not talk about modders to be more or less talented, skilled, good or bad depending of what they decide.

some comments on first page or two of this thread are quite....disgraceful....

rF2 is still the simulator with more features, with more potential , could be perfect but it lost but all the simplicity that made Rf1 to be beautiful

Please ISI...

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Just curious, where did you find this quote from Tim? I love the idea of protecting content. Glad they are finally considering it.

18. Domi

Domi Registered

Basically, this. One platform is popular, the other isn't. Just like in the past rFactor was the platform chosen instead other ones.

It's better to pay 10€ every year for an online service that actually brings nothing, yeah :rolleyes:

19. Mulero

Mulero Registered

And what is the current state of rFactor2? It is the best platform to provide a complete simulation, has the best physics engine and tire model, has an excellent network code, has excellent IA, has a complete set of rules and more that are coming, has day transitions / night, climatology....... It is not perfect and not close to it, but today is the most comprehensive platform and with one big difference.

If DRM prefer to work on another platform for good luck, they will need. If anything has shown the AC community is how little respect they have for the work of others. Contents ripped from other games, mods payware that the day after launch can be found everywhere shared with everyone, ripped content from other mods offered for sale as if they were original .....

20. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

They are incapable of blaming their beloved rF2 for this situation, so they feel better blaming the modding teams rather than to accept that rF2 is in free fall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.