Am I the only one thinking payware could be rFactor2's death knell?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Marvin Morgan, Mar 10, 2013.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Post straight out of the top drawer ethone...

+ many.

:)

2. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Maybe, but a bigger sim with 40-50 cars and GFX to woo the kids would be more appealing than a FPSer that lasted 15hrs instead of 6-8hrs.
    Most sim players understand the value of a good sim, ie, YEARS of fun, and one would assume there'd be tremendous goodwill amongst the general sim community as their dreams are all but coming true.

3. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Becase i can do it full time and i can pay my bills with that actually. If i would do it my free time and would have another job its not posibile anymore. Okey i could do a car maybe in one year but whats the point? Until i finish one new model is allready out and people are not even interested in it anymore, so why should i go that way? I love modding as ive stated before but to stay on it, this is only way and many modders doing scratch work will agree on this and thats why many are actually gone to.

@pay2021 numbers? Lol, i see youre rather like numbers of youre game folders just full of crap and stolen work, still you would use only those few good mods but hey, the numbers and 10gb wasted space makes you fell better...

4. UnitedRacingDesign

I have no problem with some ideas people talked about, open up projects on kickstarter or somthing similar where donation would be done but how much will that be for you? How much is the 300hours+ work worth here to some people? I know how much is this the work worth at game dev or to manufacturer, sure this are amounts we cant think off but going to low its again not worthed for somebody doing 10h per day for 2 months to make the job actually but overall im prepared and many others would be to go that way to is you dont actually pay but you donate. But again, how long will that work.
    Example we have community of lets say 10.000 people not all will need or want any track or car. But here and there some 2000 people donate from 1$ or more for car would work but will you do that all the time? Buy it not is not much diferent at the end eather, its the sounds of payware that is something you are not used to it only and are just spoiled with all the mods over the years everything beeing free.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Oh prepare for heaps more fights years of it ..... "My mod won't boot I want my money back " lopl

Why don't people debate this on their payware sites....... Oh that's right, if they did they wouldn't have anyone to argue with. .........hehehe ;)

Still I think it would be better for all involved to have payware and no permission on other sites.
    That's all I said from the very start, have payware but keep it separate.
    My way of thinking then it will not involve ISI or it's forum in anything down the road.

I willing to wager even that small compromise would be unacceptable to payware supporters.

6. UnitedRacingDesign

Lopl youre second name? Stop whining allready. Youre having actually idea to pay for screens but youre agains this and youre actually thinking? huh, must be a pain.

7. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Ok, you are saying me that i have game folders just full of crap and stolen work and i have 10gb of wasted space, and you base your statement in what?
    Sure, you are who invented the shape of a5 and m3, talking about stolen.
    Looks you take every word i say with some prejudice just for share my thoughts, and even i bought your mod, i dot not tolerate this.

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I like the kickstarter idea. First a modder would have to make some samples of what is about to come if his/her work would be supported. He/she announces the sum that is needed to make the mod. If the goal is not met then the mod is not made (money back). If kickstarter fails then a modder could for example do some more work with his mod (for free) if a modder wants to get the needed money for a full mod (by starting a new kickstarter).

9. UnitedRacingDesign

Im saying this overall and youre just turning my words around to something completly diferent actually. Im talking about ripped content, its completly diferent if you do scratch work and sell it or you have full mod folder of content from other games.
    Some here dont understand yet all the stuff around but our work is far more legal than some are thinking actually.
    This isnt directed directly to any personal means, to you here. Overall what peopel are thinking about many mods. The amount of mods from scratch work is far less to those that are ripped content or just poor conversions.
    Lets really look deep into our mod folders, how many scratch made mods we have in our mod folders that were released in last 2-3 years actually and that are not conversion from older games?
    I would barely dig up 2-3 really worth to play it from my opinion and those had few cars only, some older year models actually.
    I rather have good small amount mods than big amount of ripped or bad quality mods and i have payed for mods in other games and i got even free mods for other games just in racing sims this is a problems now to accept that both can live togethere but some just dont want to accept that the amount of work is far to much to do it now only in free time and that passion is just not enough.
    People are here arguing and talking that only game dev can do quality stuff, sorry youre wrong there, first most of modders are those doing this for game dev as they went from modding to them but you want to see those guys all working on those mclaren, bmw or what ever cars every game has and rather buy 10 diferent racing games with same cars than this is wrong. Why not support directly modders and we can have 1 or 2 games only and modders will offer us more cars than any game dev can and that in quick time and good quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That last part is a two sided coin and quite annoying at that. And some think it is weird that there are complaints about rF2 graphics... also part of the modders' responsibility, crap in, crap out..

11. UnitedRacingDesign

Modder can do as much as game allows him but there are modders not doing even 50% of capability games offers and there is a diferente and even if its free, i rather pay some amount for it if its 100% of game capability and im not talking about this only becase im doing it.
    In rf1 we have alot of mods that were converted from f1c or gtr2 and barely they tryed to pump it up to some better quality. Sometimes small changes can do alot allready but some were just to lame to do that.
    The worst thing that happened to modding is 3dsimed actually, ofcourse there are some good sides but there are more bad sides and one of them is that the tool supports games that are basicly unmodable but still it can open files to make quick open/save stuff plus the tool never worked for rf1 like it should actually and was far worse than ISIs gmotor tools and same is now the case with rf2 becase the tool just dont work as it should but hey copy/save works for most of people here nomather how it will look.
    I just hope people whining about grafics on rf2 are not those who dont care about mod quality aslong its free.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Sad but true.

That also goes back to what was said earlier, when people are in fact charging money, it better be freaking awesome.

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Ales, you should be concentrating on finishing Maures T5 :D

14. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Ales, you know better, in 3D CGI or CAD terms, a model make by a modder (scratch) or a studio (ripped) makes no diference in legal terms, an m3 make by EA or make by Jhon Doe in their home have no diference in legal terms.

Please dont get me wrong, im a 3d animator in a news channel and we know better than anyone about licensing, thats my job (thank God i can work in CGI), thats give me the money to raise my child, we are in the same league if you want to see it, i support your work and i support payware, but still choose live "the dream" that the modding is move by passion.

15. UnitedRacingDesign

True, but again. Modder can do it only to amount game allows him, if game improves we will improve it to. We for example will allways improve our stuff but the quality should be done right for all. I could even do higher textures, higher quality models but i doubt all will run it smoth but yeah it should be done right.

hehe, yeah i know.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Payware Anthem :)

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

There is quite some difference between having a high quality car or high quality track versus a high poly track or car, or a high res texture.

The rF2 engine grants lot's of possibilities to create great looking assets, only look at LRP or Croft and Poznan.

18. UnitedRacingDesign

It makes it more legal to free mods even and ofcourse far more to ripped content. There are ways on 3d models that makes it more legal to. Did some research on that. Ive made my home work before i went into this but i understand you to but really, i have the passion here if not even stronger, atleast im not thinking now when i will be able to finish this, will take me a year to finish it...Its not the money that pushes me, its the time i can put inside now. Its still a long way but we are going there.
    We are even talking about licensing now and we will even pay for it.

19. UnitedRacingDesign

True.

20. johnconner

johnconner Registered

this is what i have been trying to say if your not selling it, it makes no difference were the cars are from and if it was scratch made its the same problems trying to make money from it as it would be if it was from a studio or a paid for 3d model. it have to have a licence from the original creator so if you create a DTM Mercedes you must go to Mercedes for a licence to sell there design or your going to end up in big truble.