Am I the only one thinking payware could be rFactor2's death knell?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Marvin Morgan, Mar 10, 2013.

1. weimaraner

weimaraner Registered

It's a adage - I write it in german, I think it fits exactly, - all artist's with passion know what I mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    heheehe, --> I like it
    Maybe someone find the point in a proper translation.

"Leicht kommt man an das Bildermalen,
    doch schwer an Leute, die's bezahlen."

Wilhelm Busch
    (1832 - 1908), deutscher Zeichner, Maler und Schriftsteller

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It would suck if even a mod that costs two euros like F1ligue would get pirated... If that's the case there's not much you can do to keep anything from being pirated I reckon.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nothing to worry about, most people do this as a hobby, a passion, regardless of getting paid.

People create entire mods for other video games, I'm talking about entire levels, entire sets of sound effects, background music, cut scenes with voice acting, graphics for the entire level which is scratch made, items, gameplay etc. So massively and thoroughly done, that you could package the mod and call it an entire new game on it's own. The work is truly amazing, yet most of them are free, so anyone thinking RF2 is so different from every other game CLEARLY doesn't have much knowledge on the PC gaming industry/community.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Is that right mate. hehehe wink

Tell how many others developers own sites have rF2 rips on them ? .... tick , tick , tick ......

Ding.

:)

5. martymoose

martymoose Registered

To think that pay mods wont be shared by others for free is a little naive, people pirate music, movies, full games, OS, other software and anything else that is in digital code. I dont think what would make people think otherwise, many modders likley have some software or music they didnt pay for as I doubt there are many people that dont have a single movie/song or piece of software they dont own legally on their computer.

Im sure there are people that have RF2 without having paid for it so what would stop people from getting a pay mod for free. I still think the donation method is better though unlikely to raise as much money as payware even if a large amount is pirated. Going free to share and having a donation button will encourage work to a very high standard as to get a donation you will need to be at a very high level. I dont think either way donations or payware will allow a modder to live of this as a main source of income no matter what so some people may have some hopes and dreams shattered here I think.

The F1 mod will likely get more customers as its so cheap that anyone interested in the mod will likely pay 2 euros if they believe in supporting payware which there will be a few people but not me currently. 10 euro for 2 beta cars in a beta sim is asking a bit too much for the DTM knockoff and will likely make the team much less money then the f1 mod on shear price and value alone. Even though 10 euros is really not a lot of money for most people its much more then what that mod is worth IMHO, possibly a full series with tracks and all teams and cars could justify that cost but 2 or 3 cars is just a bit wishful at that price point. Though If I got a full scratch made track or car that I really liked I would donate $5-$10 for the effort put in even though I wouldn't pay $2 for a payware mod lol.

6. motojase171

motojase171 Registered

IMO i think if the modder gets the rights to use licensed content such as cars or tracks than it's worth paying for but for now when all the pay mods will have to be fake brands and cars i dont think it's really going to take off, i mean why pay for a mod with no brands when you can get a free mod thats just as good quality with brands? i'm not saying that it's wrong just ambitious.

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It still astonishes me how people can think a modder can get a license for a track or car while some companies even can't. Wake up, that is not going to happen! Tolerated yes, official license, no freaking way.

I'm afraid you are right..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  8. FatCity

FatCity Registered

So someone releases an mod and calls it T whatever, makes the cars look exactly the same as manufacturers cars in a official race series and makes money from them and calls it their own, knowing full well that others will skin pack the cars to the official ones therefore making other people want to buy their mod.

No matter what anyone says, to me this is as much a rip as any RF1 conversion from another game and there are no excuses. I dont care if it took them 100 years to make the models, they are not of their design and they shouldnt be charging a fee for them.

But thats ok don.t buy it if you dont want it lol.

9. MrWalton

MrWalton Registered

Sorry for bad english. but one question. anyone from the commercial modder is paying income taxes?(Einkommenssteuer in deutsch).
    :)

10. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I don't think that information is even remotely any of our business.

11. MrWalton

MrWalton Registered

purely legal to buy as user illegal software. I would encourage tax evasion and make me liable to prosecution. interesiert me personally, not in the slightest. sure it is not a big buzz but it is a part of the observance should have in this thread.

translatet by google.
    hope anyone understand that

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I brought that up 6 months ago.

You think they paying Tax.
    If I was payware I would not be bragging about how many units had sold that is for sure.
    All a investigator would need to do is send everyone on forum a PM to find out how many have been sold. lol

Johannes
    Grow up in the REAL WORLD.
    Honest people pay taxes.

Anyone could easily make it their business and report anyone selling payware.
    That is why tax departments have whole sections where you can dob people in.
    So I wouldn't be too smart.

13. motojase171

motojase171 Registered

and the politics start, that is the problem when people start wanting money for their hobby, with money comes greed, with greed comes politics... and we all no politics wrecks everything

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

and there you have it..........

imho ISI should have made it clear from the start yes they support people making money but don't dare bring your stuff here.

but no that one simple compromise is too much for these people.

they want everything there way and don't dare speak out against it. lmao

Hypocritics ( payware ) the lot of ya

15. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Actually people playing politics here are those ranting about pay mods and those are the most greedy ones wanting everything for free.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I DONT READ YOUR POSTS THEY ARE HIDDEN lol
    I would not read a post of yours if it was the last on earth.

i heard all your bull**** defending payware already

He don't seem to comprehend that.

17. WheelNut

WheelNut Banned

payware won't work in rf2 as it is they might get 5 or 10 sales
    but as soon as i or anyone else purchases there mod it will be put up on a server
    you click on get mod and you now have there stuff for free
    i'm not sure but isn't the f1l013 mod for sale if it is thats how i got it
    and not only that some leagues edit the mods and tracks there going to be running to more represent there leagues then release trackpacks and mods with in the league so then thousands of people have it soon to turn into many thousands

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  18. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Than its acutally really simple and you probably dont see our threads as they are hiden and you have nothing to complaing about now stop whining and behaving like kid.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't care if it will work or not.

Just don't put it here.

Makes more sense to me they would want to cuddle up together on a nice warm friendly site were everyone loves payware ........right. ?

So why are they here ?

Does not take a brain surgeon to work that one out. ;)

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't care if it will work or not.
    I even said I hope they make money ................err that is the point yes.

Just don't put it here.

Makes more sense to me they would want to cuddle up together on a nice warm friendly site were everyone loves payware ........right. ?

So why are they here ?

Does not take a brain surgeon to work that one out. ;)