A few laps of Monaco onboard

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 23, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nice feedback. :)

With the audio, I believe there's a mixture of the Youtube compression, and the fact that a lot of the sounds are being bounced off buildings and walls, creating some of the things being noticed. The WMV is a lot more accurate to what you actually hear in rF2. The audio does sound good to me when driving though, the squealing sounds very good IMHO... I've only seen a few people notice, be sure to listen out for the crowd noises and other stuff, too.
    I purposely locked up the left-front on the way into the hairpin, make sure to keep your eyes out for that in the WMV... I'm not sure how well it came across on Youtube or was noticed.

A note on these tires though... These were the days when tires were often used in multiple races. In 1965 Jim Clark won the Indy 500 on one set of tires... So tire wear really isn't the big news for this era of racing. Although the heat from OVER driving can certainly be felt.

2. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

Just finished watching the WMV - wow, much sharper visuals. The sound is better, but it's good on YouTube imo. (Maybe I automatically compensate for YouTube - they sometimes wreck my songs I upload, but nobody else would notice as only I can compare. Perhaps the same here....)

The tyre squeal is good; I was always turning it up in rF1 by changing the plr file. I don't care if it isn't "realistic", it's a major feedback in simracing and much needed imo. It sounds good here, not like a chicken (which it does in many rF mods imo lol) Which reminds me, is the tyre squeal a seperate sound slider this time rather than included along with other sounds, as in rF1? It's no biggie I guess so long as I can go into the PLR file (or whatever) and change it.

I liked the crowd sound at Lowes, for sure. Nice touch, much less sterile like that. Gives me a dash of adrenalin just watching (and listening, of course). I always liked the horns in rF1 (tho not the wheelguns! haha)

I hear you on the tyres. Would super-rough treatment show though? My handle online was "Heavy Braker", and I'm no joking. :D A driving "style" I picked up in GPL with its super-tough tyres. I'm looking forward to see what damage I can do and how much smoke I can make. Lots, hopefully.

I want to see so many aspects now! What a teaser. Some damage would be good, smoke, fire.....I remember it being said you improved these. Do you know (can you confirm) if the skidmarks buffer has been increased? They disappear too quick in rf1 imo - for me it's something that adds a lot more atmosphere, and fun. ha - and remember in GPL when peeps would lag and their skidmarks would go off at crazy and jagged angles? lol. This vid is bringing it all back. Should be a real winner. Cue innumerable threads on how GPL compares to rF2's classics? Good stuff. Can't wait to see what people do with this - GPLEA did amazing things to GPL's pretty limited engine. Bring it on!!!

3. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

Good morning Tim
    I thank you for the video and would like to help to present this 5.0GB file.
    I set up an FTP for you for the 5GB video and sent you the data via email.

Sincerely
    Francesco

4. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

quality !

i want to pay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beta .. beta.. beta.. !!

5. E.Neytman

E.Neytman Registered

very good!

btw - Tim you`re not right, i can easily hear how muсh throttle do you use))

6. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Very impressive. No doubt on a visual side for me now. Looks right even at this stage. Also, I do not know how good changing weather will look like, hope its as good as sunny weather.

I hope wheel and arms can be switched off? Because I drive without them visible, they distract me. But moving gear shifter, like in GPL would be nice. It gives extra visual confirmation that I successfully switched gear and what gear it is (by the position of the shifter).

I noticed crowd cheering after you overtook a car. Thats nice detail.
    Flat spot on lap 3 disappeared strangely very quickly. May be its supposed to be this way, but I think it should stay longer.

Oh, and shadows from trees are a bit much aliased. Hope there is way to make them softer.

7. nOfe4r

nOfe4r Registered

I said from the start that I will not register here to ask stupid questions and just wait until it's released.

But holy **** now just release the open beta and let everyone be a part of polishing that diamond-like piece of work. :eek:
    It is looking great but to be honestly I don't care too much. Physics is what gets me, changeable conditions and a good netcode. I want to be part of the next level of online racing.

Keep it up and let us be part of it as soon as possible. Thanks!

8. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

RRaaaahhh, this video is very interesting (just seen it on youtube, this evening I will get the high quality one !!). But we can see the feeling with the car, the car look good, the suspension work is great, the driving information show no much under steer, lot of oversteer :), soft driving mandatory, the car seems hard to master on track, what a good feedback on this video, GREAT !!.
    In my previous post I was disappointed on screens, now I'm completely enthusiast on what I see.

Just one thing now, WHERE IS THE BETA LINK :) :) :)

9. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Do not get nervous, they promised a beta version later this year. It will, I think 100%. But it will look like on video, with flickering shadows and trees, unfinished animation turned off injuries. I do not know that the physics of tires, it works correctly or not.
    http://www.kartsim.com they announced the start of testing in the first two weeks of December.
    With rFactor2 nor any predictions.

10. Slothman

Slothman Registered

That is awesome...I hope you enjoy playing that game :)

Meanwhile back with everyone else who UNDERSTANDS that this is WIP :)

11. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

ISI don't made ​​a game, ISI made a time machine!

waiting for the beta, good job! ISI

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think there's something in that for all of us. Let us take a few moments to ponder it.

13. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I think it's time to show what really is and not WIP

14. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Nice video :)

Car physics looks familiar with Netkar-pro and I'm really happy with that :)

15. Slothman

Slothman Registered

What, you mean that everything has been made very clear its WIP....so therefore EVERYTHING has been WIP...and here is a bit of information I got from bribing Tim....the BETA...will also be WIP...hence...BETA....

Just so your not confused

WIP = WORK IN PROGRESS

Which means, NOT BLOODY FINISHED!!!!!

I am going out on a limb here.....that wont be enough for you hey :)

Oh well...stick to that Go Kart Sim racer....its obviously your benchmark.....as to what you want information wise.....

Hmm...hey Tim...is this Sarcasm going a bit too far??

16. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

I think DmitryRUS has a point asking what is WIP and what is not.
    For sure some elements within this video are Final or 90% final.

^^This is exactly what I'd like to hear more often. For instance: "trees are almost final so what the trees look like in this video is representative of the final product (just guessing). Animated arms need some work, so what you see here is definitely not final.
    Sand bag textures are just placeholders" etc...

BTW: I don't agree with DmitryRUS's tone. Could be the translator he uses, but I doubt Google Translate will make any translation sound rude.

17. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

"Lo Evenisse: It's the old dev sounds here, final sounds are very different and far better." Is this true Tim? :) Not that currently one is bad.

18. 88mphTim

Links added to first post. Now includes an MP4 (h264). The detail still seems a little less, but the filesize difference certainly makes up for that loss...

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I watched wmv version only and I have a feeling that there is too much reverb (apart the tunnel, where it was OK)... or maybe it's just the engine sounds, especially on the lower rev range? They don't sound that much "open" but as you said, that's WIP so probably it will be tweaked.

Hah, I was about to ask for that :)
    You locked left front tire and we see a narrow flat spot wich goes away after a few seconds. At that time, those were rather hard compounds so was it that easy to visually flat spot them? I also think that flat spot went off too fast... or maybe that was recorded with faster wear rate?

Shadow flickering was also noticable but I think you guys will take care of that. There are of course more issues but very minor so don't bother at all about them.

Overall, the vid looks very, VERY promising! Thanks Tim for the video!
    And finally, we could see how well the track is done! Great job, guys!

EDIT:
    Tim, come on.... 5GB XviD and only 1.82GB H.264? Whyyyy :p
    Please, could you provide us with something like 3-3,5GB H.264 (instead of that 1.82?) Oh, and maybe mkv container would be better? That should be enough to keep all the details while reducing file size noticably.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  20. 88mphTim

I assume Lo responded on Facebook? :)

Yes, he is correct, although when the newer implementation happens on some things I am not sure. It may be that you get these sounds in the open beta, it may not. They may come later.