A few laps of Monaco onboard

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 23, 2011.

1. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

thanks for this video ;)

hope to see -modern- car(s) in next videos and the open beta !

2. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Also, I think it's fairly silly for anybody to host/download the 5GB, uncompressed version of this video.

Regarding the video itself: I'm fine with the WIP graphics but I hope that the steering wheel texture gets an update before release.

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Firstly.. This is why Torrents were actually invented. Just host the original seed on your server and once each and every one of us has it the less draw will come directly from your seed as the load is shared with everyone.

Stop using XVID. H264 is far and away superior. Here is the free vfw version. http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

4. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Yummmmm. How about running that T70-like historic sportscar into the sunset at Spa?

PS: the shadow flickering must go!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  5. shum94

shum94 Registered

I got the 700 mb video and it looks even better. Again i see a lot potential from rF 2 engine.

With this version you can clearly notice aliasing before entering the tunnel, which it confort me because i found the trees shadows in the straight line to be weird.

For the encoding you should use adobe premiere elements and encode straightly in flash so youtube wont touch it.

6. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ok shum...ya better cut this out...positve comments...getting worried big fella :) Just Joking.

Sounds like I wasnt the only one grinning ear to ear....being a WIP Vid.....DAMN!!!!!!

Very very happy, could "feeL' the motion of the car with only just this vid...cannot wait.

See this is why I dont ask for images/videos...now I REALLY REALLY want it.

Keep up the good work guys :)

7. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

No offense, but that's not a good idea. Youtube prefers H.264 encoding in the MP4 container.

8. shum94

shum94 Registered

9. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Wow Just bad a........s AMAZING............
    I just can not wait, I am grinning and slobbering all over my self.

Ruben M.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The track is modelled on 1966. The generic cars vary. We're waiting to show you the licensed ones (and are still working on refining them), if you wondered.
    What I was trying to do was basically encode 1:1 the fraps footage - and I did. The AVI looks amazing, but I'm pretty disappointed by what Youtube did to it. I think I've learned a lot during the process, though I wonder how much smaller in filesize it could go without losing the quality. I'll try H264 re-rendering. :) The file is nearly uploaded anyway.

11. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

"Can we haz teh beta now pleaz?"

[​IMG]

Seriously Tim, I was one of the guys who never asked for an onboard lap with sound etc. For a reason. I SO WANT THAT NOW! Dammit!
    Open beta has to start soon. I'm destroying my office chair over here floundering while watching this stuff.

12. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

+1!

Remember, McLaren777, it's a WIP, I'm sure there are going to be lots of updates. I really liked the hand over hand animation. The only thing I could see about the hands/arms, is that the arms look like they are stiff straight at the elbows, no race driver drives like this, or is that really long forearms :) Usually, when I race my elbows are at almost a 90° angle for the best comfort and control. If you watch onboards of in-car shots of driver, you see they are relaxed with bent elbows. Just a suggestion to look at if you have not already thought of or put in the final version.

Great work, I look forward to the Beta!

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Looking forward to driving this! :cool:

14. 88mphTim

To be perfectly honest, we haven't put as much work into the generic cars as the licensed ones. We honestly expect more people to be racing against cars like this more than in the cockpit of them. I'm hoping to be able to announce one of the 1966 cars shortly.

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

@ Tim...without giving away to many secrets...how do you get a licensed series for 1966?...as in...lets say 1966 F1 is that something Bernie would own or does whoever owned it back then have the rights?...and is there a certain year where it becomes "unlicensed"

cheers :cool:

16. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Sorry Tim, the video was not impressed, but the lighting is good. The shadows in the cabin there (looks all flat, lacking volume. Shaking the camera was left from the previous rFactor1, it depends on speed rather than overload. If I did not know what it rFactor2, I would have thought that it rFactor1 with HDR plugin.
    I hope flickering bugs disappear, and add animation to hand gear change

17. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

but for me the more interest is the work Livetrack, and the work tires, but after the release of beta version, I hope.
    question, the legs of the driver is not animated? In SimBin ask how it's done if you do not know. tries have animation turned 5 years ago.
    thanks for the video!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  18. 88mphTim

You can't license the series. F1 wasn't packaged as a series back then and the organization which oversaw the sport at that point no longer exists. These days you have all teams in an agreement and they can be licensed as a package.

For things like 1966 you have to license individual cars, and it's pretty difficult to do that. I've been lucky to have had an interest in historic racing for a while and it's gotten me some good contacts. And then it's about using those contacts, using your head and trying to dig as far back as you can to get a signature. Of course I wasn't asked or able to use any of these things until the last year. :)

I read that Codemasters remarked that they were not likely to do historic stuff for this reason, and I don't really blame them. There's very few teams which stayed with the same family or owner, and even if it did, there's a good chance nobody is around anymore to sign anything even if you do manage to track down the end of a trail.

19. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I think they look pretty damn good as-is for WIP. I really like the hand-over-hand motion--best I've seen yet! However, I did notice some clipping issues of the fingers through the steering wheel. And, as with every other game I've seen with arms/hands, the grip feels really rigid--but that's extremely difficult to overcome seeing as people's grip changes like every second they're driving. They're not always gripping the wheel in the same spots, they're shifting, putting pressure on the wheel through different parts of the hand, etc. So, yeah, I do realize we'll never see Pixar-quality hand animations in a game :) Maybe just a change in the grip linked to the rotation of the wheel would be plenty good enough (i.e. when hand is at 12 o'clock, it's pressing more with the palm, but when it's at 5 or 6 o'clock, it's using mostly fingers). But like ya said...it's WIP :)

Again...I know, it's WIP, but at the moment, the tire squealing sounds like it's indoors. Maybe this is just the youtube compression, but it's something that really stood out for me.

I think it's coming along great, though! I was just looking through the old pics from the first reveals of rF2, and you guys have come quite a long way! The buildings, trees (well, most of them, anyway--the trees look a little too similar after the tunnel to the last hairpin, could use a little rotation variation IMO---all of the others look great, though), track, and cars all look great! Can't wait for the beta!

20. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

Looks great.

Fantastic!

Personally I think the sound is good, though I'm grabbing the WMV atm just to see..err...hear.

I don't care about animated gear-shifts and the arms look good enough to me already. I can easily wait on any improvements, but I'd settle for what it is already.

The tyres look excellent. And then I remembered they wear too. Brilliant! Can't wait. Good job, ISI!