A few laps of Monaco onboard

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 23, 2011.

1. frankwer

frankwer Registered

The thing that impresses me the most are the tyres, probably the most detailed looking tyres with brake calipers and all that stuff + the tyre rubber texture is so good that it smells rubber. Even the brand name (Dunlop) is visible :) Also suspension is modelled very well and its movement seems responsive.

The lighting system is ok, but not as polished as it could be. The cars still look cartoonish.

The track have massive amount of details and the sound of the crowd going from your left ear to right ear is a nice touch.

2. sg333

sg333 Registered

Going to steal your GIF here for another reason: i was skeptical of the individual spectators but this grandstand works REALLY well. There's a great '3D' look to it.

I'm honestly glad to hear that there are newer and better sounds, because the ones in the video are disappointing. The car sounds like it has a broken exhaust..

Are all the trees 3D objects? If so, can they be slightly rotated? The harbour section looks a little repetitive.

I reckon within a week the modders will have had a crack at Monaco and some things might look a little different :)

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think people are getting hung up on flatspots. If you watch a good slowmo of a lockup in modern F1 (for example) you can see the 'burnt' patch of rubber going round as the wheel starts to turn again, even with some smoke emanating from it for a few rotations. It seems more like that's what we're seeing in this video, rather than a decent flatspot. (it would seem possible - though I have no personal experience - such a mark would last longer on tyres that are softer and actually produce a flatspot - since that section of rubber will have less contact with the road and not be 'cleaned up'. On a very hard tyre there is no actual depression created, and the affected area is scrubbed clean fairly quickly. Or am I just talking out of you know where? :))

4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Thanks for taking the hole day to put up this video Tim. As you can see from most of the comments, it was worth it. :cool:

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

As Tim mentioned a few times already, those were pretty hard tyres - I think a lot harder than what is considered "hard" in modern GT tyres (like Michelin's S9), not to mention Pirelli's F1 tyres (where even "hard" compound is still relatively soft).
    That's why I was curious, was that flat spot on the video some sort of a bug or Tim just forgot to set "tyre wear rate" from "x100" to "normal" ;-) Also, the fact how fast that flatspot disappeared, suggests that something is wrong there.

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You're not going to flatspot a tire at that speed.

7. Marek Lesniak

Tim, as for the 5GB file... maybe you could repack it into 2 parts (so, each would be ~2,5GB) with WinRar and upload? That should solve the problem (regardless, what is causing the issue - server soft or client's website browsers).

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm. The whole point of my post is that maybe it's not a flatspot, but a patch of 'burnt' surface rubber. (I don't think the process is as simple as 'burning', but I'm well out of my depth here)

Not only am I well aware those tyres are hard, that's actually the core of my argument - soft tyres that flatspot then 'protect' the area (since it doesn't contact the road as much/hard), while hard tyres barely change shape at all and therefore the affected area maintains contact with the road.

But, once again I'm looking at it and saying "hmm... maybe there's another explanation, since it doesn't really 'work' as a flatspot" and you're looking at it and saying "it doesn't 'work' like a flatspot, so something's wrong". Wouldn't normally consider myself a 'glass half full' guy, either.

9. Marek Lesniak

Oh, yeah, somehow, I didn't get exactly what you mean. Sorry about that :)
    You might be right and that could fit. Brake lockup too short to flat spot such a hard tyre, but long enough to heat it so much, that it got burned.... still, would like to hear what devs can say about it :)

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

More blurring is needed on the sidewalls and internal brake and rim components. The tire treads blur properly as if they had speed but the rest of the moving bits just look like quick flashes.

11. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

agree. needs considerably more blur. I've always thought this was very tricky to get right.

12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yeh, as you said, it won't flat spot proper at that speed but locking up will still give that visual effect for a short period after the event.

13. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Stealing this gif too.

Minor detail I don't really care about but thought I'd point out in case it hand't been spotted (I'm one of the many hundred eagle eyed people have)... but the left hand glove of the driver appears to go through the 'window' as it reaches up to grab the steering wheel.

Downloaded the WMV, looking forward to watching it again!

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, and no ;)

Drivers catching a large slide in a road car (or similar) do go hand over hand - shuffling is just too slow if you need to give the wheel several complete rapid turns.

But, in most onboard vids I've seen, of racing cars at racing speed, 95% of the steering is done without moving the hands on the wheel at all - just 9-3, turning til the arms are well crossed, giving a good ~450° total rotation.

Looking at Monaco onboards though, where there's obviously a special case in the hairpin, pretty much all the video I've seen has drivers either just keeping their hands where they are, or (especially when they approach 500°+ total rotation) they move their hands on the wheel before they turn in - thereby achieving the extra lock needed as their arms cross over.

The problem from a game development point of view, is similar to that faced with gearchanges: hands have to move before the actual event happens. If you want to make the movement and speed look right, you have to predict when it will be needed - and in doing so open up the possibility of hands shifting on the wheel approaching a corner that doesn't need the extra lock, or still needing the hand-over-hand when a driver unexpectedly uses that much lock (and, similarly, a hand moving towards a gear lever ready to change gear as the revs climb... only to have the driver back off and the whole movement looks silly).

15. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

That was possible in rF1 too, so I expect it to be in rF2 as well. However I would like to see the half shaft to actually be attached to transmission and not move up/down in direct relation to tire movement.

16. Alesi

Alesi Registered

[​IMG]

look in right susp.. the brake pipe cross with suspen.(its just goes threw susp..). some errors with this?? maybe some fix needed

17. cluj

cluj Registered

Nice vid Tim !! ,I hope when you have time , make to us one with rain :)

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

And have you noticed holes in right hand geometry near elbow? :)

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I saw that... it's needing a vertex weld lol...

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

One of guys at our forum spotted that Tim drove very fast over a kerb at 0:36 and said that it should break suspension.

After listening to Sir Jackie Stewart here I'd say he may be right about this: LINK

Even if there were major differences in 1971 cars, it's much slower corner that Jackie talks about.

Of course I'm not trying to start a discussion here. I'm no expert on these cars but I'm hoping Tim will be able to refer to this. Perhaps it's about damage settings or some kinds of collisions / damage are not implemented (or not yet).

I'd really appreciate a sim where drivers would cut corners at their own risk. Look what happened to Felipe Massa or Sebastian Vettel recently (although in Vettel's case it could be some other cause).