Wet racing is seems broken.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JetlinerX, Apr 13, 2015.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I don't think we should be taking rain racing seriously in rF2 at this point. It can be done, but does not feel, act or look like wet conditions racing.

It's work in progress, so we need some patience. When it's there, it should be worth the waiting.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You guys are aware that 1. I'm not a good driver. 2. What you see is what you get. I didn't put one practice lap in before I started recording and I'm not a regular driver of those cars. I stay offline with them since I'd be a back marker, big time.

Better driver with some practice and a better setup would be a much better lap than the one I put up. Anyways, carry on.

3. Jamie Shorting

The rear tires on the indy car don't heat up!!!!

Oh, wait, never mind.

4. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

There once was an issue if I remember correctly that if you started a session with rain, the track, while it looked wet, actually wasn't and it took some time for the track to get wet. If this is still the case then you would have driven with rain tires on a (more or less) dry track, this would also explain the heating up of the tires.

Jamie on the other hand starts with a wet track (no rain) and it seems to work better.

Anyway rain physics need some work but ISI are aware of that :)

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Rain doesn't work well, especially for older cars, I would forget even trying it. Brabham was the first car released with some new rain tire parameters, I would say it's the first car drivable in full rain.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Can't remember which league had their open server with intermittent rain showers on Belgium GP with the Brabham, but it felt true-to-life. The next morning, I had the twitches when commuting to work in the rain, really bad flashbacks from trying to race in the rain!

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Unconditional love is not always the best thing (is it ever?).

Wet racing is not great, never has been.

Issues should be adressed.

EB is honest and is not unfair here.

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

While I agree that it's not finished (hardly anything knew, even ISI know), if used correctly I feel that there is fun to be had with the dynamic it can provide in its current state.

for example, last season in my BTCC series we had a round where it was dry in practice, rained hard for qualifying and warmup, dry for race one, two and three. It was really, really fun racing on the progressive drying track and by race three needing slicks but being aware going off the racing line on them was VERY risky because it was still wet out there.

9. Jamie Shorting

It's definitely usable. I know lots of folks talk a good game but won't use it when it gets improvements anyway. It's really only for the more serious leagues. Didn't Stefano from Kunos say he's not doing rain because the majority of sim racers want easy, and not stuff like rain? Anyway, it seems like the modern tires have more of an issue than the historic stuff. I had much more confidence on entry with the Brabham.

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

That wouldn't surprise me. When I've run wet/mixed weather races there is a very clear division between the guys that relish it and the guys that hate it.

I want as many dynamics as possible, so I'll use it as and where appropriate.

11. JetlinerX

JetlinerX Registered

Im the kind of guy who will sit here for hours doing a really fun race against the AI. For a sim that has a full day/night cycle (granted night still has a FEW issues to flesh out) and pretty good AI -- I would love to be able to see a storm gathering on the horizon and have to adjust my strategy, and then adjust again as the track drys out. So even I would use it outside of leagues.

It's an incredibly marketable feature which is why it deserves the time it needs.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I relish different conditions but I unrelish (easier to make up this word) racing in conditions where the platform doesn't properly support, or has parameters not working as they should. If it works fine then it's just following real life experience as well as common sense to drive properly, if it doesn't, it requires figuring out the way the game works and I am always thrown off by that aspect.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've been one of the more vocal critics of wet weather tyre parameters (or the lack of), among other 'holes' that could have been filled with rudimentary solutions 3 years ago so we at least had something that sort of mimicked reality. I'm certainly not saying everything is fine right now, but recent changes have moved wet weather much much closer to a feasible option.

That was my main point regarding EB... his point of view sounded about a year out of date. Of course most ISI mods are out of date in that context, but he's still painting an overly bleak picture.

14. Jamie Shorting

EB is honest and is not unfair here.

LOL.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I have never seen a DX9 sim delivers immersive weather, simple as that.

Not the level of ambiance and effects I would want for believable weather anyways.

Depends on the person, what you want.

People used to do their nuts over S.T.A.L.K.E.R. weather

I thought it looked bland and fake :confused:

Looped rain audio, how advanced, rF2 it drives me crazy ! :rolleyes: lol

16. JetlinerX

JetlinerX Registered

I see nothing wrong with what he said, sounds like someone just has a bit of a vendetta. ;)

17. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Geoff Crammond did it for Grand Prix 3 and 4 with DX7 (even with a software rasterizer) and DX8.
    DX has nothing to do with believable weather.

That said, as the others have stated, it's usable with properly updated content.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Okay, the Engine and DX has nothing to do with it.

I am out.

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Indeed...

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Umm... so are we worried about facts or not?

Empty Box said rain isn't a problem with warm slicks, did he not? That was true... once...

Moving into the last year and a bit (at least), it wasn't true anymore, because ALL tyres suffered the same aquaplaning on a 'wet' track. You could set up multiple compounds with varying damp track effects on grip, but once you pass 50% 'dampness' the track is considered wet and all tyres lost grip at the same rate. This was a big factor in making rain periods unusable because you couldn't even have a monsoon tyre that suffered less.

A couple of builds ago they introduced a tyre parameter that overcame this, so now you can adjust what happens on a 'wet' track. This is, in the context of the issue and driving on a wet track, a big development.

Again, I wish they'd done that years ago (it's a single parameter, it's just added into the formulas that deal with all the same information they had before), but they didn't so that's that. But the point is - it's there now. As is other stuff, such as wet-track specific cooling parameters that help to make wet tyres behave a bit better.

So there's negativity here based on a 2 year old ISI mod that has none of the more recent parameters in it (I don't blame the OP, it's not obvious to new players), and negativity based on observations of how the game was some time ago but isn't (or doesn't have to be) anymore. But I'll admit it's easier to criticise than to stay informed.

It's not there yet, but it's closer.