rFactor 2 Build 946 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Apr 3, 2015.

1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Interesting. I had video sync already enabled (through rF2) but maybe wasn't working. Interesting nonetheless because at least it works.

2. 46LoCuRa

46LoCuRa Registered

Very good companions!

Since the new update (946) in our community we have noticed a lack of important grip on asphalt. Costs it a lot take rubber to asphalt and tread width is less than the 930, and we do not understand why, since the configuration of the server is the same.

We know if is to played some parameter or something?

Thank you.

3. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

mip mapping is abit bad....but not that i care. Just reporting.

4. 46LoCuRa

46LoCuRa Registered

Does anyone know if you modify something of the real road or own paste left on track? The people who run in leagues and so to had to notice differences... If it is not that some parameter escapes us...

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

About new tone mapper.

Static exposure is not my thing, but doesn't bother me. Although I do think ISI was close to having very good auto exposure, so I would prefer if they pushed forward with it, making it better.

Oily patches still at large. Perhaps getting rid of auto exposure creates less occasions for them to appear, but there is one case no one can get rid of - the sky :) You will get close to zero values on sky as it gets dark and that's where the issue will manifest itself and with plenty of pride ;)

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am just happy that we have a realistic and well done static exposure. It probably needs to be a bit brighter in full sun, but it's about 1,000 times better than we had prior to the prior build.

Once the current exposure gets tweaked to perfection, then auto exposure could be added (perhaps as an option). The old auto exposure had great features, but it was on top of a broken base, so just caused mostly frustration. ISI is walking before running now, which is the better way to proceed.

7. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I'm happy that the UI now has better contrast. This is a great improvement for those of us who are old and/or have vision problems.

Thanks ISI.

8. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

9. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

The new build is great, the CPU bug is fixed and races can be done which is nice. The sim looks great, a really noticeable improvement especially at the new Malaysia.

That's great, but I am still hacked off about 930 and would like to see changes that prevent such costly experiences in future. It is big a mistake to forget about this caper now that everything is pretty much working properly again, at least as far as the basic essentials go. It will only happen again unless ISI change their ways.

This CPU bug could not be fixed, that is understandable - this multithreaded programming is a black art. What could have EASILY happened is for ISI to simply disable that new multi threaded physics (as they have in 946) and put out a new build QUICK within one week or two weeks max with simply that code disabled and nothing else. Or roll back to 910 either or. That is all it takes to make big difference, and reduce the damage done dramatically. That was a critical fault, and it has not been the first. The server also had that warping problem in 930 - that was a serious problem too. These things happen all the time

The multiplayer is not dead, but it is certainly a pretty desolate place. There are not many people playing RF2, that is the cold hard truth. When I got the game 2 years ago there was much more people playing, it has been a downhill slide. I will thank fanboys now in advance not to post a picture taken at a very opportune moment of a busy matchmaker, because whilst these moments do occur they are not at all typical.

I would like to see the multiplayer get busier over time, probably we all do. To do this you need to gain more players than you lose and simply keep on doing it, and over time things should improve and keep improving. Serisously messing things up on a regular basis and leaving it out there for 6 weeks is not compatible with that! You are not even giving the game and multiplayer a chance to grow when you are regularly kicking the players in the teeth like that :(

I am in no position to say what is the best thing to do, but certainly SOMETHING must change! It must not be allowed that screwed up builds just stay out there for 6 weeks at a time! It is very damaging for the game and the multiplayer.

Someone told me there is a guy in ISI who is pushing internally for some 'micro update' system whereby we all get lots of micro updates of single change very frequently, and if something blows up it can be rolled back quickly. You could do something like that, or Mr Gjon could just put builds out Monday and make the decision on Friday if that build sucks or not, and if it sucks he should pick up his phone and have it pulled! And rolled back so the game and multiplayer can continue as normal. ISI will know best how to do it, what bothers me is they seem to intentionally choose to NOT do anything, and just leave everything festering away for a long time, this is very damaging for us all :(

It was Bjarn Soustroup, creator of C++ the programming language in which RF2 is made who said ""C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off" and I would thank ISI to heed this advise and apply it the game and mutliplayer in general and refrain from blowing the legs off the game, multiplayer, players and our leagues in future in order that more water is not coming into the ship than is getting pumped out, else we are all going down :( Micro updates, hot fixes, rolls backs whatever I don't care, just no more big screw ups with no plan B PLEASE! Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The latest build now finally has an advanced update system that seems to be very solid and easy to use for all manner of content and full build updates. The tool is now in place to allow quicker, more frequent and more numerous small updates. We'll see if ISI uses it. I think they will because they know what you describe above is true and is damaging the long-term prospects for rF2 :)

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What new advanced update system?

Unlike other devs, we do not force a specific version of our software to be run by anyone at any time. There was never an issue with anyone rolling themselves back, if they chose to. Asking for a solution that is already available seems confusing.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

hardtohandle you make good points. About online I am sad to see a few great mods not being given the attention they deserve, from tracks to the very few third-party cars we have. Celica GTO should be everywhere. Virtua_LM content, feels content, should be everywhere. Formula Renault 3.5 2014, Honda NSX/Corvette C6, Brabham BT20 should be everywhere. Even the BTCC Honda, Camaro GT3 and Corvette GT2. What about the paid mods? Spend money but not be able to play online since there is no single-player championship season blows.

However it is much easier to drive something of less quality that requires less ability/technique/focus, or drive something that is popular (like BlancPain or F1 2014/2015) but is not up to the standards gets much more attention.

13. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

14. 88mphTim

15. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

If I rolled our league back to 910 that would have got 4 drivers back, and just lost another 4 drivers because they do not want to wipe their 930 install which works good for them, or mess about having 2 installs for different races. It solves one problem and creates another. It is no good. People want to complete in different leagues in different servers, there;'s is not many players around anyway. And I do not want to spend 12 months a year running leagues on a sim that only works 9.5 months a year which is the truth of my experience in the last 12 months.

16. 88mphTim

Did you try downloading the lite installer and installing it over the top? This does not involve asking them to wipe their 930 install in any difficult way.

17. Promag

Promag Registered

In order to run 2 leagues I run the current and past. One in c:/ - one c:/programs The content directory on different hard drive that they both share . Not all leagues upgrade immediately. I may be missing something but is there a downfall to my method?

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think what he is saying is that some leagues run the latest build an some run older builds. You would then need multiple installs if you wish to compete on both leagues. It isn't hard to have multiple installs though. You can even have one datapath that is common to all builds. The player.json changes sometimes between builds to it would probably be best to make a separate player profile for each build and then in the launcher add +profile 930 to the commend line to point it to your 930 player profile. Then at least you aren't forced to install content over and over for each build. I personally have a core for the league and a core for the latest build. Both pointed to the same datapath. I keep one up to date all the time but the league core only gets updated when the league gives the go ahead.

What I find odd is people prided themselves on how many standalone rF1 installs they had. It's like it put them in some sort of supper elite club. Now people are completely opposed to it.

19. Emery

Emery Registered

> You can even have one datapath that is common to all builds.

I agree... except when there is a content update that requires the newer build and then you have to remember not to run that content in the old build.

20. Promag

Promag Registered

edit double;