ASR Formula Open Wheel Classic 92 Season LE rF1 Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sderenno, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Yes David, this time was set with low fuel and qualification tires (1-2s faster than race tires). Best lap in race was 1' 19" 490 by Ricardo Patrese.

If we can trust http://www.statsf1.com/fr/1992/bresil/meilleur-tour.aspx.

So 1.8 still fast compared to real word (not a criticism).

Cheers.

2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I dont have a measure of clipping so just go by feel. V1.70 must have been clipping as feel was lost on 1.00 so I dropped it.

Setup can be a long story, but IMO if the fronts are getting super hot or super worn you have a big imbalance. Its been my experience that unless you sort it out and get the work, heat and wear more even you have a car thats going to have a terrible handling imbalance on worn tyres. So its always a priority for me. I had a setup for the V1.70 at Sao Paulo that was nice and fast on fresh tyres but horrible on worn tyres. Later work gave me one with the same best lap but the car could do that same lap time for 16-18 laps. So Ill use the range that's available even if it means 1 on front damper and 12 on rear damper to get the grip and wear balance right.

This car without that had something like 66% left on the fronts and 90% left on the rears. This means loss of lap time or an extra pit stop. For me the fun is getting a nice strategic picture.

Anyway Ill post a setup and anyone can try it.

Packers: IMO it would be nice if we get third spring and I hope thats the plan. Its there in V1.70. In its absence packers work fine. They mainly kick in when the car has the greatest aero loads and just stop it gounding. This allows a softer setting that will give more grip.
    Third spring packers have the advantage that they will kick in when the whole end of the car is being grounded and will allow more travel of say one corner or one side is pushed to its bump stop on say a kerb.
    Anyone who wants to see it all explained in awesome detail search for "Racer Alexs advanced F1 set up guide".

I just loaded my setup in the setup thread just in case it helps anyone. Rear packers need to increase poss 1-2 cm.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  3. tjc

tjc Registered

It was different time in every way. A time I loved.

A time I miss...

4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'd love to have Qualy tires.

Was the third spring really already used in the early 90's?

5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

6. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

7. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Tried it David, it surprised me that on a setup designed to avoid understeer you run with a higher dynamic ride height in front than rear in high speed corners.
    In straight you run with the nose very high compared to the rear, that shouldn't be good for drag.
    But as you said it is a wip, don't take my remarks as critics, I am myself trying to learn setting up cars, and I try to learn from masters every time I can.

Thanks again and cheers.

8. David O'Reilly

Did I, oh I better check I thought I dropped the nose to the minimum!
    The setup was working very well in high speed corners at Nazareth.
    I added some rear ride height to give some rake.

Edit: This was a quick job to get it driveable. More to let anyone who was not liking the car to have something thats ok than to say "here is my masterpiece" type of thing. I added packers at both ends as I was losing top speed and assumed it was grounding. Hadn't even looked at motec till I posted it and saw it was rear not front and hence the note to raise rear packers. Next job would be to reduce front packers.

Ok just looking............
    No thats all my excuses used up.:rolleyes:

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I don't know anything about third spring and when it was first present in F1. Though this is League Edition it would still be great to have it strongly grounded on 1992.

The faster the cars are able to go, the larger of a gap that can be built. In Monza the lower teams will be closer to the top than on a twisty track because of the (theoretical) aerodynamic advantage of the bigger ones and superior car performance.

10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

^My experience is opposite. Fast AI laptimes = more trouble to get clear order/gaps between different teams.

It appears that every lap, even with AILimiter=0 is a bit random (and that's needed, no one wants robot drivers).

If the randomness is three tenths, and there are four or five drivers within the same second it's easy to see how some drivers can move quite a few places relative to other.

If laptime increases then the gaps between drivers increase.

I've never tried... wonder what happens if we assign 200 as max driver skill in the RCD and work down from there.

11. Lgel

Lgel Registered

As it is not nice to criticize without giving others the occasion to, I put my provisional (no serious attempt to tune before friday evening) setup for everyone to taste (Sao Paolo track).

Every comment, if polite, welcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6olt05cb6aqxm6/Sao Paolo.svm?dl=0

10 laps fuel, no long runs tested.

Didn't put any weird setting to fight understeer, tire wear is slightly higher on rear tires with my driving.

For me physics of 1.8 are OK.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  12. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Did you try to change engine power via upgrade file to every car?

See post http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-upgrade-files?p=333372&viewfull=1#post333372

13. David O'Reilly

My reading makes me think it 1999 when 3rd spring arrived, so nice point.
    In fact in 91 only the top teams had 4 way adjustable dampers.

I'm relying on the guide for the F1 1991 Historic Edition that was incredibly well researched.
    BTW if you have RF1 and still play it I did 3 solo seasons in my Career. Lotus, Jordan, McLaren. Would have done one in a Pirelli shod car if I didnt mov to RF2.

http://www.race2play.com/homepage/show_posts/25395?page=1

14. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Maybe slightly offtopic but I tried to download de Ferrari F310 from your site and it says i need a password. How can I get this car?

All your other work is awesome btw, that's why I donated 5 euro in the hope more people will do the same so these great mods can keep coming.

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

16. Lgel

Lgel Registered

In GSCE it works like a charm. Tested myself in RF1 and yes a car with .8 the power of an other is slower , no surprise here. Haven't confirmed in RF2.

17. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

18. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Yes it requires a change to the mod, same as changing the talent file, or changing the sound of the car, (but you don't need ASR to do it, if you know how to repackage as GCCRacer does). The resulting mod would give a mismatch on line, but it's goal is to have a realistic experience of line.

The original ASR mod is a ligue edition (all cars have same physics), so this would be a different version (would give mismatch on line), the same as Frenky's adapted physics for the mod RFT2013.

With the very good packaging system of RF2, you could maintain both mods in your package directory, and install the one you want depending of what you want to do in a few seconds, so you could have the best of both worlds.

19. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I think I got it now... basically to give the real life better cars the better upgrades, and leave the backmarkers without upgrades...

Yeah, possible, good idea :)

I'll wait though since the discussion on the physics set here don't appear to be finished... maybe there'll be a 1.9 version.

20. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Not exactly, you leave best teams with their full power and you reduce power for the teams you want to be slower.

You put a custom upgrade file for every car (ex Williams powermult=1.0, Honda powermult=0.95, Benetton powermult=0.94, etc. ), you play on power or you use a weight penalty (very widely used for leveling fields in real life racing).

Do it when it pleases you, but if ASR delivers new physics, all you'll have to do is to repackage your mod with the new hdv as upgrade files are called from .veh files.

That is the beauty of it, you maintain a single .hdv file for your mod (you have to change all .veh files to point to your new customised upgrade files).

Tested it quickly in RF2, it works fine, chose a strong reduction of power, and let AI run, they were passing the car like a sitting duck in straights.

With this syntax, by default Off line Edition will be on, but if you want to run a slower car because you like it's livery, you can choose if you want it to remain slower or as fast as the fastest to be on equal terms with AI.

Lines to add to your upgrade file :

UpgradeType="Engine Power Changes"
    {
    UpgradeLevel="On"
    {
    Description="Off Line Edition"
    HDV=[ENGINE]
    HDV=GeneralPowerMult=0.9
    }
    UpgradeLevel="Off"
    {
    Description="Ligue Edition"