Karts 0.991 and Quebec SuperKarts 1.07 track available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am away from racing rig for the rest of the week, but Paul and others--are you driving on a green track, or one with the exaggerated real road build-up? Within a few laps there is about a 4 hour, 30 kart race's worth of rubber on there...not at all realistic.

Also, try the Dallas track! See what your impression is on that one.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Am I the only one who likes the sped up RealRoad considering that most races are only 10-15 laps long, and most practice sessions are only 20 or 30 mins long?

The way it's set now is almost like when you speed up mechanical failures, tyre wear, or time scale, in order to be proportional to how long your race event actually is. This way we get the full experience even though we are only running 1 or 2 practice sessions of 20 or 30 mins + a 10 or 15 lap race.

I think it scales very well with such a shortly condensed full race "event".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  3. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

My belief is that the intention is to set real road closely reflecting the amount tyre wear that had occurred, which means if you want to have real road 'accelerated' you will still be able to accelerate the tyre wear to do so.

There is a bit of a misunderstanding, partially overstating the difference of the new steering system (which require new HDV parameters to enable). There is indeed a small gain in accuracy for FFB, but the old system worked reasonably well for rack and pinion steering types, which for a kart is certainly wrong, so the gain for karts is pretty significant. For other vehicles with rack and pinion the gain is small, but it does return slightly more accurate forces. Build 590 also included better interpolation for the steering (all cars) and you have a slightly less noisey FFB.

4. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

@Paul Loatman : can you share your FFB settings (with STM?) for the T500RS? I use this wheel and I'm very interested in that, thanks.

5. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Thank you very very much for your settings and explanations (and for the video)...I'm going to test that, first with F2 and F3.5.

A question before: do you make your changes in the controller.ini (in userdata/player/controller) or the wheel controller (in userdata/controller/thrustmaster T500 RS Racing wheel) ?

Thanks again!

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think karts feel so much better with steering range of 220 degree instead of 187 degrees. Feels closer to what I have experienced irl.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

bear in mind that Quebec is quite tight & not easy , its typical of a go-kart circuit , it's a great track

but for an easier introduction to these karts the Dallas track is a good start
    (not up to the quality of Quebec but a wider & looser circuit )

8. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

No doubt it is not up to ISI quality (I'm a one man show with very little to commit to it) :( - You're definitely right about it being an easier circuit to learn on though.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya plickbadger

in no way was I criticising as you've done a mighty fine job, I just assume it's not had as much development etc
    it's totally usable and a very nice track, will try updated version later, thanks for that

10. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

No offense taken at all. It was a totally accurate comment. I'm just :( because I don't have the time to work on tracks and cars full time and improve my skills. I enjoy modding very much and these karts are an absolute blast!

11. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

At least I got the Wacky Waving tube man into it!

Makes it a bit more live!

PlickBadger, if you dont want to continue on it, maybe put up the sourcefile for it in the thread and let others continue on it.

I myself would love a blimp sort of circuling just above the track with CAM so you could get a nice angled overheadview of the battle, or a CAM on a high stationary point.

I love the layout on dallas, it's quite challenging to keep a good pace and floor out everywhere you need to.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You are clearly very talented at it, so from all of us, thanks for whatever time and effort you can spare (past and future)!

13. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

That's pretty much what I believe too (especially input lag and FFB latency causing the overcorrect & snap the otherway) but as said before would like to think it's more of unfinished tire model than the "main" physics engine itself. Reason for this is that I have hard times believing ISI would base physics calculations on some artificial pivot point or anything. Of course it's possible they would have defined the center of weight wrong (or is it center of gravity) assuming it's not calculated automatically based on masses of different parts of vehicle but would seem like amateur mistake at least to my eyes - and they're not amateurs. :) I would be very surprised if vehicle rotation is not defined with realistic calculations based on slowness of mass (inertia) and torque arm (and of course every tire has it's independent effect on the whole process). Of course kart is also very different and probably harder to simulate compared to regular cars because the whole frame acts like a spring so for sure it's possible kart chassis flex simulation may have some areas which still need improvement. Especially because the whole chassis flex feature is fairly new in rF2.

Anyways I guess we should just admit that driving a realistically simulated racing vehicle will always be harder compared to real-life counterpart (if we rule out physical part of the driving). All kinds of lags/latencies and lack of G-forces/vibrations will make sure of that. :) But don't mean to say we shouldn't continue to analyze and compare things. It's great to hear feedback from real-life racers! They just should take into account those imperfections/differences caused by software/hardware/lack of G-forces.

Just my two cents.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I don't think ISI should "fudge" physics because of input lag, we should try to reduce our lag as much as possible by running our pc's well within their limits, with practice you can drift these karts just as they are, if that's really what you want to do etc

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Why is the KartUI about 280 Megs in size?

16. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

I've been running the 125cc karts at the EuroRing. It looks great and is challenging. You have to mind the kerbs though! :)

17. rVeloce

rVeloce Registered

I think kart track should bumpier like in real life, and kart behavior should "hop " more, it would increased realism. Other than this, good fun.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

karts can hop a tad which would be amazing if that was translated into the sim version more
    and skid in chunks ( skid a little small grip then skid a bit more )

the ISI karts are extremly top quality though so I'm not moaning

19. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

No one knows?

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered