ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

win.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

What's wrong with your OSW in rF2, that could be rf2's fault?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
  3. Pretender

Pretender Registered

Some say people can't face the fact that not everything can be included in the game ^^

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well let me put it this way. As soon as i discovered about VR i was really excited about it, the first thing that came to my mind was how awesome rF2 will be with it and that it will solve my problem of not being able to sacrafice a whole rooms corner and a whole high-end pc just for the racing rig with tripple screens. So i was like im gonna get this as soon as it comes out and i will have hell of a blast. I am still very excited about VR but it makes me feel very disapointed that i will not be able to enjoy it on the only thing i really cared about. Now i dont really want to get VR anymore, i might still, but i just dont play other games enough to justify it. Sure that many will be fun but not fun enough to buy 700 bucks device. For rF2 i wouldnt hesitate.

5. Depco

Depco Registered

I have been attempting something similar using a higher quality Google cardboard viewer on my Note 4. I use an injector (tridef) for the 3d split screen and then another program (trinus VR) to send the video to the phone via wireless (slow and laggy) or USB tether (significantly less lag). It definitely doesn't work particularly well and I still haven't gotten head tracking to work very well either.

As I have been looking at the gear VR, when I decide to replace the Note 4 with something a little more capable, this may be a more viable option. I am very interested to find out what your results are when trying to send the game out to the Gear VR. Please post your results.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'll probably make a guide to it on my youtube. For head tracking you can actually use a track ir (though obviously it only works for forward views) through an emulator. It's another layer of lag, but according to the video I saw, it's not something you can sense. In any case, I'll figure out what GearVR can do, as free was a nice price... lol I'm going to wait a bit to see how the other VR platforms are reviewed.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Is low persistence possible on any of the mobile phones compatible with gear VR? Personally, I would never consider it as an option if not. Also if head-tracking is the same as it was on the dk1 (using mobile phone gyros and accelerometers), another good reason to stay away imo.

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Won't the USB connector get loose after a while with so much moving?

Btw "back" on topic rumor is R3E going to use Unreal Engine 4, hope it's true

9. 88mphTim

Yes, with the S7/S7E.

"The keyword which surrounded Samsung Mobile Unpacked event was Virtual Reality, hence the surprising appearance of Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder, on Samsung’s stage in Barcelona, who spoke about Samsung OLED displays currently being “the only ones that can deliver a good and comfortable VR experience thanks to their low persistence rendering capability,” and coupled with Facebook Oculus VR software, the Galaxy S7 phone offer the best mobile VR experience today."

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh, nice.

11. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

So the oculus and HTC Vive will work relatively the same for rfactor 2?

I'm leaning towards a Vive purchase.

12. Depco

Depco Registered

That is a concern to be sure. I was hoping that the WiFi connection would have been fast enough but it simply cant get the data to the phone quickly enough to keep lag to a minimum. The wired connection does this fairly well. But the system needs some tweaking. I am getting about 25 to 30 FPS at most, usually less. This really is unplayable for rf2. I can play Portal 2 pretty well with decent frames, but resolution leaves me wanting. In order to get playable frame rates I have to back the resolution down to 1280x1024 or worse yet 800x600. the Note 4 has significantly better resolution, but I think the connection between my computer and the phone must make for a poor translation to the phone.

If anyone has more input to help me make this system work better I would be all ears. But I think that may be a better conversation for a new topic.

13. elbo

elbo Registered

If by relatively the same you mean that neither will be supported then the answer is yes.

14. 88mphTim

At the moment, assume nothing will happen with rF2 specifically.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

:)

Lets see:

I never assumed puddles :p F3-Eve update lol or VR

I do enough in F3-Rookies training people. lol

I only need rF2 ....all the rest are placeholders

I always have smilies.

2 version ISI sim , one Pro , one normal
    Validation and certifying of all add-ons

Sarcasm, making jokes, laughing and poking my tongue out in jest

Goes without saying, I have rF2 ? lol

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I wasn't sure wether to start a new thread or to continue one of the existing ones. I finally decided to post in this one.

By the time this thread was opened it was stated that there were no benefits in moving to dx11. Some years later, we realize that those ones who made their bet on this technology are now in a much better position to move into VR.

With the recent update of iracing, we can say that the majority of the big racing titles are into VR.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36711/oculus-cv1-racing-and-flight-sims-dereks-list

However, the best sim in terms of simulation decided to stay within dx9. Recently it was confirmed that no official support would be provided to VR. This is the price to pay today for a past decision to use an outdated engine.

This is a huge drawback in the very near future. It is clear that with the evolution of third party software we will be able to use VR in rF2. However I do expect a significant framerate and delay penalty and a poor VR experience. The importance of a good implementation of VR is essential:
    - Mirror FOV sensitive to driver position
    - One to one head tracking (this and wheel rotation still in development in iracing)
    - Low delay
    - Poor image quality due to non native rift stereoscopic projection. How well iracing handles this according to the first reviews serves as an example of this.

This arises the question of WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO ENJOY NATIVE QUALITY VR IN A SIM TITLE USING FROM ISI?

If we consider that this development started when it was announced that VR would require dx11 (less than a year ago), I expect at least two more years of development before we get anything.

I would be glad to be wrong, come on ISI, please give us some feedback about when can we expect VR in rFactor series?

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

17. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Thanks for posting this. Mirrors my opinion.
    rF2 is currently my favourite sim. But i also can't deny the huge gain in immersion i'm experiencing in VR with other sims. Yes, the first generation of VR devices is just the beginning, and is technically still lacking resolution.
    I'm afraid that rF2 could be dropped by many, if ISI is closing its eyes to VR. Advanced physics or not.

18. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

I think it´s a thing about money. We bought the game back in 2011 for 80$ with lifetime-subscription. Since then the devs made a lot of improovements to the physics and features.

In my opinion they need money to add VR-support, DX11/12 and they should sell DLC´s to get money. We need a game with the current physics and a better graphical performance. Maybe a rF 2.5 or 3

If this game gets a proper graphics engine and content with which you can create championships i would spend 80$ again.

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It is a question of perception. I bet that if you ask any VR device owner who has spent 600-1000 € in it, I would expect 100% of them willing to pay money to enjoy their favourite game in VR.

Do you need money (resources) to implement VR? Of course you do
    Does it pay? Of course it does IMO. But as with DX11 "time will tell".
    Do you really save money by delaying an investment in a technology that will be a hygienic requirement in the short term?
    I strongly believe you are actually losing money in the mid term.
    [​IMG]

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  20. Skan

Skan Registered

If rF2 looked like (insert whatever) and still did everything else the exact same way it does without even a fraction of frame loss, I think some people's lives might change and possibly not for the better. I am not talking about ISI, I mean anyone (myself included) who might not do much else but rF2 all day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.