Blackwater Lake TT (Track Layout Contest 2012 winner) - WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by KeiKei, Feb 25, 2013.

1. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yes and no. :) I was the one who designed and created the actual road surface mesh, participated in the general landscape idealisation, created AIW file and put xsectors etc in. At current state the track is perfectly drivable and AI is also quite good making blocking moves and everything. Also ISI is constantly improving AI. Only few corners need fine tuning for fastest path and also there's a problem when safety car is going back to pits (AI's don't start racing again). Haven't tested with latest build but assuming problem still exists and there's also few things which I could experiment.

But you're right of course; Feels3 is the main man on this project and if he's not ready to continue with this project then it will wait. Simple as that. :) Of course if within a year or two or so things won't progress as we require then things may change. I mean at least personally I'm thinking it's too fun track to be wasted. So who knows maybe it's me or some other modder(s) who would finish the project in case Feels3 decides to let it go. Anyway it's way too early for these kind of discussions and just wanted to let everybody know it's not cancelled and most likely will be finished at some point in time.

2. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Maybe put it in the hand of pleclair?!

If feels3 don't have the time for it in hobbyspare time within the year. Maybe make a collab with pleclair and some other 3d artist. For sure pleclair has the heart for the modding scene, just look what he's doing with Nordschleife.

The community for sure want this track ASAP! Collab, make it so!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Kei if you were part creater of it then is it possible to ask Feels3 if someone else can finish it from where he left off?

4. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

It would be great if someone could take a look at Croft and Poznan as well - get the trees working with the transparency AA setting.

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

+1

6. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

For sure pleclair is a rising star in the rF2 modding scene and has right attitude so I can't see a reason why he wouldn't qualify.

We're in contact with each other every now and then so it's possible and I will ask this question if things don't progress as we require within a year or two or so. By "we" I mean Feels3 and myself. He has very good reasons at the moment preventing from continuing this project which I fully agree. Don't want to speak with his mouth or go into details. It's also out of our hands (again we two) so we just have to wait. You guys need to trust us; we're thinking the best for this track project.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am sorry, but I love both pleclair and feels3 work, but they are not interchangeable. pleclair is becoming a technical modding expert. feels3 is a true graphic artist of the highest skill level, who lucky for us enjoys working on race tracks. He could be doing any sort of landscape architecture work. There are a few people who are texture experts and have some of the skills of feels3, but not sure any would drop their own projects to take this one on.

I highly expect feels3 to come back after a while and "finish" his three existing tracks. But why waste time with so many iterations? When rF2 is out of beta (for real, not in name), he can polish off the last few tweaks once and then be truly done. The masterpieces will speak for themselves.

As for Blackwater, I think he would have already passed the baton if he was sure he wouldn't have time or interest in completing it. This track could be the ultimate showpiece for his talents. Perhaps he will remain gainfully employed (good for him) and will have other things to show, but those are usually always a team effort. The graphical environment (visuals) in Blackwater would be all his. There would be no debate about where the talent came from. Since feels3 is also still posting here occasionally, we know he is keeping an eye on rF2 and what some other modders are doing. I think we can trust his judgement to not leave KeiKei's work and a potentially awesome track hanging in limbo.

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This, I respect Pleclair and his enthusiasm, but feels3 is a standalone modder!

9. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yep, Feels3 is THE man - there's no doubt about it. :) My few previous posts were about worst case scenario which IMHO is very unlikely.

Completely agree with your post Marc.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wonder if Simbin/Raceroom are trying to make a deal with him to include it in their game as some amazing fantasy track

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

In that case mr. KK would need to get his piece of cake too :)

12. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Hi guys,

I will join this discussion if you don't mind :) KeiKei said almost everything so my reply will be quite short.

As I mentioned few pages ago, I had to stop working on this track due to my new job. I had to put all effort and energy into new project, new engine, new shaders, new people, new country, new city - new life :)
    After few months of working in SimBin my situation is stable there and I can finally enjoy my work without stress, because first (most dificult one) learning process is behind me.

First months were really crazy, I had to work almost in every weekend to catch those other artists there, with limited experience in this industry (as you probably know, before that I was working as an engineer in building industry) I had to work and think twice as fast as my colleagues at work to do the same work, and at least try to be close to quality they are able to produce so easilly.

So, as you see (and I don't want go more deep in details) I had to stop working on that track.

Some weeks ago, I decided with KeiKei that we will try to finish this track, but this time I have another...let say problem that I need to solve, and apart from some technical problems, that's my reason why I don't work on Blackwater at the moment.
    The problem is complexity of this task. I don't like...sorry, I hate shortcuts, don't want to do just a track, put few buildings around main road, few planes behind this, and some photo in the background, and use generic textures from the websites we all know.
    I also did big step in quality in last year, and my skills are getting better every day, I'm learning new stuff every day, so that task is getting also more complicated every day because I demand from my self a lot, really a lot :)

I want to create small city with many unique structures and buildings, and those buildings first of all I need to create in my head :)

Anyway, I'm telling this to let you know, that I want to finish this track, but it will take a while :)

ps. and no, SimBin doesn't stop me in doing this track, that was one of my first questions when I came to Sweden.

Thanks for patience.
    Cheers!

Wojtek

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  13. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Great to hear and great to hear from you. Gives me hope to one day be able to race on this track.
    I'm very hyped about this track coming. There's so many things about it that really look interesting for racing.

14. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Great to see you again around here feels!

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff feels, I`m really glad things are going well for you now and that you`ll finish Blackwater when time permits.

Thanks for the info. :)

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

COngrats on the new job, it must be great! :)

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks for clarifying, Wojtek and glad my supposition about you was correct :)

I have only one thing for you to think about...an English expression: Sometimes perfection is the enemy of the good.

I am sure in your new work, there are compromises every day because you and your team mates cannot spend unlimited time on a track or task. Just make sure you apply that rule to your hobbies, too! Luckily in the digital world, we can have an evolving landscape and quality. We can have user feedback on not completely finished versions. Don't wait for it to be perfect, just good. You can then decide how close to perfection it needs to be after your appreciative audience experiences it.

What I can also tell you is that you may have had some catching-up to do with your colleagues technically. But you have no peer when it comes to an artistic eye for colour and attention to detail and realism. Your work is second to none in that regard.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thanks for the communication feels3

19. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Soooooooo... should this thread be closed for now?

@Tim Wheatley

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Why? You don't think Tim can figure these things out on his own? In this case there is no evidence that the conversation is over nor is there any offensive tone or themes, so ?!?!??!?!