Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I'm going to take the counter point to you marty :)

How do they define a "real dev"? Also what makes a hobbyist/backyard tinkerer/indie dev any less important than a AAA developer.

When this first came about it was a project built by hobbyists for hobbyists (take a look at the MTBS.com thread) then everything blew up. They were expecting to sell a few hundred kits not over 7000. If ISI or any "real dev" had of wanted to get theirs sooner all they had to do was order sooner.

With the UDK, free unity pro and oculus SDK even people with no game making experience can cobble together a working oculus demo and in my opinion this is where the oculus will thrive as VR needs games made specifically for it and AAA devs will never be able to give the VR aspect the attention it need when they still need to sell the game to the millions of other no VR gamers out there.

2. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Adrian I hear what your saying and I meant real big and small devs, I am pretty sure of the number sold a big percentage is bought by people with no intention to develop anything but just people wanting to get an early version of the rift. Oculus never thought that they would get 7000 devs to buy their dev kit and that's because of those 7000 I am pretty sure many arent devs in any way at all.

Sure small time guys are a good thing to help encourage but for it to really take off they need to go more mainstream, but the thing is ISI is not a full on mainstream game company anyway, producing simulation software which is something this kind of tech will help both oculus and ISI if they manage to implement it well.

I dont think they should make the larger devs have to jump through hoops in order to get their hands on a dev kit but instead oculus should be trying its hardest to encourage developers to add support to their product and for this to happen they need a dev kit. How many sales will oculus get if some indy producer makes a cool demo compared to say RF2, Iracing, Pcars and the codies titles all have good support for the rift and it turns out to add much more to the game then any traditional display setup can. They will surely get more notice this way along with support in all other genres, delaying dev kits to the larger devs is just going to limit the growth of their product IMHO.

3. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I see what your saying but how could they vet everyone that orders one too see if their a developer. Also having this group of people to experiment and use what professional developers are making is vital in the early stages of this "new" technology e.g. so far we know from people trying the demos that strafing causes nausea in a large number of cases.

It would be a bad thing for developers to become to entrenched in a way of making VR games to then realize that a large percentage of the market has a problem with control methods or motion sickness once the consumer version is released. I'm betting these sort of "best practices" will be discovered by the people that are just playing around with ideas in their home as opposed to devs trying to apply VR to an already existent way of making games/genres.

Also I think that a indie hit (like minecraft etc) will sell more VR devices than simulators ever could ;)

Oh and remember its more than just making the game work in VR, who wants to be taking it off to go into menus/garage etc. Its all the things like that, that will need to be discovered and I don't think sim companys ISI for example have the resources to do the R&D on that right now, it would make sense for them to wait to see what the best way of addressing things are. I could be well wrong about all that but that's how I see it at the moment

4. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

5. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

How are things progressing with this? I haven't yet bought a setup for rFactor 2 as planned, and might get one of these Oculus Rift's instead of a triple screen display?! Would that be a viable way of playing?

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

No progress.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

7. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Re: Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

I don't think it will be a full on screen replacement for a couple of years minimum, too many shortcomings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

8. cookie

cookie Registered

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

woooh.....it's so real it's almost re.....wait a minute!

lol

Yes this could be a solution but not in it's current form. Perhaps having the view appear in a corner as a small window instead of taking up the entire screen. However he needs to find a certain key on the keyboard to switch to the camera mode, by which time you would have already hit key you desired without the rift, lol.

I think the rift could do with some easy and intuitive buttons on it somewhere for these types of problems.

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This would force you to turn your head towards keyboard to see it. Pretty much thoughtless solution in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be better to attach the camera somewhere else, where it would be pointing at keyboard at all time?

And as for one eye - I'd rather prefer picture from camera displayed for both eyes, somewhere in the corner of a screen. Otherwise I would probably need to shut one eye while typing, so there's no advantage in having it for one eye only.
    And last thing would be to show that picture from camera only if there is motion in that picture (your hands are moving over keyboard) - this way you would not need any activation key or something.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It will not be a problem for me as I never look at buttons that I need to press during racing sims

For something like arma 2/3 there is lots of keys so I intend to make a button box with buttons in easy to get to places & shapes etc

However no doubt at some point there will be a "VR hotkey" that can be pressed to bring up a visual key grid (within display) then a key can be selected with a mouse or even by precisely moving head & pressing 1 button/key

So cant really see how it's an issue etc

...still waiting for my oculus rift )-:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

[​IMG]

or the permanent version...

[​IMG]

:)

13. smbrm

smbrm Registered

The ideal way for the rift to deal with being able to see your cockpit wheel would be to have a forward facing camera and software that crops out your real view of your wheel(button boxes, key board and hands etc.)and superimposes it in the correct place on the game cockpit view. That way you would have the best of both. Should be doable in the long term?

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

That would be extremely difficult to get right. Your cockpit in game is 3D, but picture from camera is 2D. Also, lighting in your room would be different to the one in game, so final result would be pretty much awkward.

Not to mention my G25 would look weird displayed inside Marussia :D And where would I fit my keyboard inside F1 cockpit?

15. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I appreciate you can't have everything, but maybe more is better. So what's different now about driving a Marussia while looking at your G25? Besides some clever person could probably figure out how to deal with your concern.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I have no idea why this is even much of a topic, simply switch on in-sim graphical wheel& arms,
    For buttons just use the fewest on wheel & if one needs to look at them to press , simply practice with eyes closed untill remember which is which etc

Simple

(I understand with say arma or a flight sim but sure they could be an in view key grid for headsets implemented later etc ...sorted )

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

We could also all be over complicating this.

For example, once my hands/fingers are over the arrow keys to control the LCD menu (which I already do without needing to look at the keyboard) my sight and attention is split between controlling the car and navigating through the LCD in the lower right corner of my screen. How is this even going to appear in 1:1 ratio with real world stereoscopic 3D in the rift?

Edit: what Adrian said :p

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

On a 3d screen(s) object(s) text or whatever can be displayed in 2d ( simply no convergence or depth on this item)

I don't see any significancy in this though

Still waiting for my rift )-:

19. stuff

stuff Registered

It's a shame no one gave ISI a heads-up, if so they might already have one!

But really, who can speculate on how these things might go.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-oculus-rift

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.