I want to manually start my engine all the time!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom Endres, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Tom Endres

Tom Endres Registered

Right, that's it, basically.

Is there any way to make the game stop firing the engine up once I hit "RACE" during practice / qualifying sessions? I'm fine if it does when the race is about to start but the other 2 sessions, not so much. :)

2. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I'd love this option, as well as a realistic engine startup system -- not the same one from rFactor that we still have. Good request.

3. argo0

argo0 Registered

Yeah, its all about immersion for most of us. For, I assume, a little work by devs, they could help immersion an awful lot. Big work/reward ratio.

4. demik

demik Registered

Got a workaround :

Leave a gear in, enter the session, engine will stall, then manually start your engine :D

On a serious note, It would be a cool option (and blinkers too, please, even after release)

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

6. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

and even more, animations for on/off buttons, engine start with hands in key spot, etc =D

7. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

yeah i like this idea, ignition--fuel pump--starter or whatever the car procedure is with clicks sound and i always liked the rumble you get in the wheel with race07 maybe that too....

8. argo0

argo0 Registered

Yeah, I'd like to feel a bit of vibration in the steering wheel where Race 07 had it. Canned affect wasn't it? Still liked it though.

9. ozleem

ozleem Registered

+1 to this thread the work around works for now but it would add so much with the clicks and hands

10. LeChuck

LeChuck Registered

I loved that feature on Netkar Pro, would love to see it on rFactor 2.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I love the immersion stuff too. I love safety car, pit stops, formation lap and I'd love a start up procedure option. Power- Fuel pump- Starter.

Could this be a plug in?

12. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yes, can we please have a 45 minute engine warmup time for the F1/FISI cars, please? ;)

I'd rather it either be more manual starting (ignition + starter) or no starting whatsoever (i.e. click 'Race' and you can fly off). I don't care much for the current starting procedures, either.

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

There was option in PLR file to remove that immersion killing automatic car turn on wheels feature and I'm pretty sure that I have one mode single player or dev mode, can't remember which that has no auto starting, I think it was single player, so might be that I found option for that too in PLR file.

But those should be options in menus and I would prefer them off by default for simmer profile, yes there should be different profile to choose from, casual or simmer, with rules and options set accordingly.

Servers could also choose do they offer racing for simmers or casual players and correct rule set should be active, this way one could satisfy both camps relatively easily.

Of course at simmer mode there would be some things you just can't change, like auto starting, auto turn on wheels, also some driving aids.

Was there starter motors in 60's formula cars? If not, then fail at keeping engine alive and race is over, adds a _lot_ to immersion factor.

blakboks, Engine damage from punishing too cold engine might be nice addition, for simmers, gamers might have their own preference, these two rulesets should be first option to choose when starting game, ie. having them at first screen and everybody would be happy and keep each other from their hand while singing happy songs ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah it's good idea :)
    There is recon in rF1. but don't know if it could be set to 45 min :)

About ignition: some racing series require to shoot engine down before refuelling. Would be nice to see this in rf2 too.

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

16. soledad

soledad Registered

I'd love to do a "Le Mans start" and run to my car ;)

17. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Would like to see this as well, option in the plr file would be fine. I have the power and ignition buttons mapped on my T500-F1 so when I select race and go into practice mode I switch the power off manually (let the AI go to work) but would be nice if the car was off by default.

18. sg333

sg333 Registered

Great idea, BUT there are still controller number limitations if you want an additional button box on top of seperate wheel, pedals, shifter, handbrake etc.

So great, if we can actually have the buttons for it..

19. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

yeah, would be cool. And then also you have to put on your seatbelt (well, maybe not, it was mandatory but not everyone did it to gain some time..... it killed some)

the running could be simulated by hitting the throttle to put your right foot forward, and the brake or clutch to put you left foot forward. Do it to quick and you would trip :p

*not so serious mode shutted down*

*serious mode initiated*

About the starting of the engine. I don't really need it, but can respect that people like it. If such a thing would be implemented, it would be nice if it was an option.

PS: it doesn't necesary means it is more realistic ;) depends on the car, in most open wheelers you don't have a starter on board, so you don't start it yourself. (another reason why it shouldn't be mandatory if made possible)

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

For realism sake, when your car is placed on the grid in the order it is supposed to be, your car should already be running. For practice where you start from your pit box, I can see that you might want to have that option, but making it only available then might be tough.

I do want to say one thing about realism. Different series and different car types have different levels of "realism". For instance, a lot of cars have anti-lock brakes but most hard core sim drivers prefer no driving aids what so ever. There are several cars that have launch control, which again would be negated by the hardcore community as they feel it is not "real". A person would have to do some research into the sanctioning bodies rules to determine what was allowed and equipped on any given car for any given series to determine what was actually "real" for that series.

Modern day F1 cars have so many driving aids running that it isn't even funny. I would hate to think what the drivers would have to go through to learn to drive those cars without all those aids.