FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Not yet mate! I can't wait for glasses with very wide screens (covering more of human's peripheral vision) with head tracking (and 3d at some point) :)

2. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Sony HMZ-T1 goggle already has head tracking. Also this goggle makes you feel like 'being there' and quite comfy to the eye.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Better than stock but still not close to reality, look at the post right above that, the one with the trainer/skippy, that view needs to just be heightened a tiny bit so that you can see the bottom of the sidewalls instead of the top and it would almost be perfect, by far the closest almost exact representation of when I raced ff1600s and f2000s that I've seen in any sim in my entire life, I was blown away when I found that pic.

Actually ill just repost the pic so people don't have to go looking back.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well my monitor isn't big enough to allow it.. Plus my horizon line is altered because I sit below my monitor's center line.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya but your viewpoint allows you to see much closer in front of you and the sides, where if you moved it lower you wouldn't be able to see the ground so close would be harder to judge car placement but its truly like that in real life I promise you :) your view is still good though and better than manys don't get me wrong, just eye point is too high and easy regardless of how low you sit in real life.

6. argo0

argo0 Registered

View attachment 2952 View attachment 2953

My view in Formula ISI and Brabham. I think I possibly need to sit a touch lower in Formula ISI and a touch higher in Brabham. Also maybe further back in both cars but thats as far as the seat goes.
    Both with 32 FOV, should be 26 but a bit of compromise needed on a 32" single screen. Feels very immersive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  7. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yeah I like getting the eye-point slightly behind the glass in open wheelers like this. But it isn't practical sometimes.

8. tdred

tdred Registered

hello,

is it proper horizontal FOV and real perspective when i have settings like this in video?

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It is indeed if your horizontal FOV in real life to your monitor is 60°. Cool experiment with the looking left to right.

10. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I have tried another time with the "clio cup mod", and definitly, my fov is at 36, despite what I hve been said, that 20 should be the right fov...
    so, may be allow, a x2 mutiplier of the previous calculation...
    it gave me 20, for openwheel, and 40 is perfect,
    and when stock car, with the shield and everything aroung, got 2 points less!

and the view, is quite real!
    mu 2cts woth in here ;)

11. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

twice the angle which it should be might be more comfortable for you to drive (for me too) but the calculated angle is the real angle it would need to be if you were going for 100% correct vision, nothing else then that.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

setting a super low fov to make it "perfect" for your setup isnt correct in other ways, because its absolutely totally DESTROYS sense of speed, and in real life you dont loose this sense of speed. There is little to no depth perception in game vs real life, distances are hard to judge, braking from 110 tp 60 looks almost exactly the same and destroys your feeling of the car slowing down, the speed your going at to enter a turn, how far away you are from the turn as you are slowing down and getting ready to turn in etc etc. 10 feet in front of you and 30 feet in front of you look identical, which is a joke and soooo un realistic. There has to be a balance between ffov for the right "view" and directly ahead depth perception/sense of speed.

13. adri84dj

adri84dj Registered

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, definetely need to sit lower in the F1. Nico rosberg in a video I posted said the top of the wheel with the rev lights is juuuusstt under his centre vertical weiwpoint, he also stated sometimes he has to try and lift his head to see some corners better because the view is so low that you cant see in front and to the sides of you unless whatever your looking at is pretty far away.

Put your hands out in front of you like your grabbing a wheel at 9 and 3, now align the vertical centre of your hands with your chin, itll be something like that, basically you dont see beyond the wheel until about halfway past your vertical centre point.

In terms of height, although not perfect, this guy in the following video has a pretty realistic (which adds to the immersion aswell) view. I wish you could straighten the angle of the cam more so its less looking downwards and more straighter and head on looking.

[/QUOTE]

15. flitzi

flitzi Registered

I absolutely disagree with you. I can judge my speed much much better when I use the correct fov, because there is no distortion.
    However, if you have a small monitor I do agree that you might need to compromise your fov in oder to see more to the sides.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have 3 23inch monitors, im talking about the view directly in front of me, 50 km/h looks and feels just like 100 its ridiculous, and 10 ft and 30 ft away barely look any different.

17. flitzi

flitzi Registered

I think you just have to get used to it.
    Once I got used to it I could hit my cornering speeds much more precise. If something is not exactly straight in front of you it approaches in a wrong angle, meaning the left to right movement while getting closer is off. This distortion should, in theorie, make it harder to judge your approaching speed.
    One can get used to a lot of things, and changing it, even in the direction, where it should get better, can be harder than leaving it at what you are used to. Especially with 3 screens you really should give the correct fov another and longer try.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm trying :) I was using 59 fov in rf, rf2 and gt legends when I moved to a single 16:9 monitor which I s lower than default.

Then I got my triple screens last week I was so pumped to use a super low field of view - right away brought it down to 35. I was always either too late or too early (usually too early) with turn in. I was about a second off my best laps and trying hardddd. I mean 3 or 4 tenths, understandable, but a full entire second, that's like the difference from qualifying pole to like 12th place lol.

So I backed it down to 45 still too low, I finally settled on disabling the other 2 screen and using 55 (or was it 54) fov for now. Took me about 1-2 hours to match my best laptimes and run consistently. But just going from 59 to 54 was already a big difference to me damn I wish I wasn't so sensitive to fov adjustments.

In a week or so I am going to bring it down to maybe 51ish, and then do the same thing, and slowly hopefully in a couple months I can work my way down to low to mid 30s and finally take advantage of triple screens with low fov.

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Speed is all in the mind. If you get use to it you know exactly how fast you are going and the ride height of the car also has a lot to do with it since the ground is really your only point of reference.

Don't watch this video and focus on the "sense" of speed. Look at the certainty of sight. Where high FOV you can't even see the corner and on low you are practically in it already. Seeing the apex sooner means reacting to it sooner.

Force yourself for a week. If you can't use it nobody will judge you.

1 person likes this.
  20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Great example Zeos.
    Curious that some still seeking for sense of high speed.
    Spinelli, if you go a highway 150kmph you feel no speed also. Racing tracks are even wider. So why do you want to feel speed at first place?

BTW: I found 25 FOV optimal for 3 screens to me as compromise between real FOV and visibility range

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012