rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

That doesn't make much sense because our shifters don't have any FFB. If you fail to shift in a real car you don't need to look at the gear display, you'll know it. GT5 has the feature you're asking, and also it's very clutch-sensitive - it's SO annoying! Every time I'm a bit too quick with the clutch, I shifted, the revs go up into red zone... wtf?! ah it's in neutral again and several seconds are lost. It's completely unrealistic and counterintuitive. Besides if you match the revs carefully you can shift w/o using the clutch pedal.
    PS: however it would be nice to have gearbox wear depending on how one shifts!

2. Dave Schnare

Dave Schnare Registered

I agree......please stop with that hdr crap...look out your house window...nature lighting doesn't look anything like that. I am with some of the others here...I want to see what in game play looks like and a nice display of physic's. The heat off the tire...to me doesn't do anything, you only see that in open wheelers. If you want the average Joe to get pumped up about the upcoming release show something then a average looking video that in all honestly looks like a GT Legends video.....show us something ISI that is going to want to say (modders)...****, I can't wait to get this.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Maybe you should start critiquing the crap that you put out instead of ISIs? ;)

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

^^ Hahaha, very first thing i thought too!

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's no HDR (in the rendering), it's just video effects. Pretty sure it's the same with the overall look of it (despite Zeos calling a fail on ISR's part - slightly premature surely???)

It's obviously not raw game footage, so if that's what you're waiting for and you don't want to see a nice video with 'artistic license', how about you go away and wait for it instead of sitting here whingeing about something a lot of us can appreciate? I'm happy to get this rather than nothing.

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

The ISR video looks terrible compared to ISI's official release. There is ghosting everywhere which is why I said it looked like ISR just pointed a camera at their screen to film the video playing instead of recoding it into an editable format. Maybe they recoded it to a different framerate or something. Even with all that I still have to blame the person encoding the video on ISI's side too. Artistic license is OK but go all the way if your going to with film grain and scratchy sound. I did the recode to calm down the Blooming color and bring the gamma brightness and contrast into check. Used the Facebook stream as the source which wasnt full 1080 but that was all I had at the moment.

TOP ISR's Original Release
    BOTTOM My Slightly modified Version originally taken from ISI's Facebook

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  7. dworsley

dworsley Registered

That looks sick, Pantera.

8. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

ISI please make the car from Dan Wheldon.

RIP Dan Wheldon. :(

9. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Hi Tim. Here's a video of what I said about the marks on the pavement, they disappear, I made them a longer but they do not work properly, I went alone, but if many people will go to the track will disappear faster, but it is not correct.
    I wish that you would do next so remained as long as possible, so the track is lively.
    traces disappear in 44 seconds

traces disappear in 49 seconds

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not timed, there appears to be a certain 'length' limit so once you exceed that it'll start taking away the earliest ones as you lay down new ones.

This may well be extended, but it seems unlikely they could make it infinite. Everything uses memory...

11. Bill Zimmerman

Bill Zimmerman Registered

It's based not on time, but the number of textures drawn on the surface. If you wanna increase this, at a cost in FPS, you can just increase this number in the TDF:

Reaction=skid Tex=skidhard.tga Max=2500 ** try increasing to 6000 or 8000 or higher.

You can get it to a point where it may stay the whole time or even blacken the surface if posisble, but FPS would be killer. Smoke is also adjustable in the same manner but with the same fps consequence.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No, there are no plans to. There's a lot of external tools which provide more features than their voice chat does, and we have used them ourselves during testing without issue.

13. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I wrote about the increase in value of Reaction = skid Tex = skidhard.tga Max = 2,500, even 20,000 is not enough and the game crashes at 25,000. Visually track needs a living, I have long wanted to see LiveTrack. Net trajectory can be seen in the video, it does not work properly. Why the dark path continues on straight?
    And if the tires are working at 100% then they are unfinished. Lateral forces of tires NO!
    Tim, find out more details, or put more information. I hope for your simulator. Only in your simulator can simulate the rally cross, but information on the work of the ground 0% ...
    And in general information on the simulator in the clouds somewhere far away.

14. codehound

codehound Registered

There have been several instances where it has been claimed that one of the features for rF2 will be new tire physics. I was a modder on GPL and we had about a dozen numbers for each tire that we could play with to try for a more realistic feel. This was completely subjective and only so much can be done by tuning the numbers.

Can you tell us, without giving away the developers secrets, what basis there is for hope that this isn't just another "tuning of the numbers". For instance, is the position of the contact patch relative the wheel used for cross coupling lateral and longitudinal loads (if the CP is shifted off the center line of the wheel, then thrust loads twist the sidewalls and tread belt of the tire. The same with lateral loads applied in front or behind the center)? Does the slant of the sidewalls have any effect on side movement as vertical load changes? Is lateral load only a function of slip angle and slip ratio or are there other deformations taken into account?

Gene

15. DeDios

DeDios Registered

Looks great. Thanks really much.

16. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

What's being done (if anything) to police corner cutting? I'm not talking about driving straight through chicanes, I'm talking about putting all 4 wheels slightly beyond the line in places where that can help gain advantage. And looking at where modern circuit design is unfortunately going at the moment such places are increasingly common, so strict policing is needed. For example at nearly every race I've seen at the revamped Silverstone there had been penalties or at least multiple warnings to drivers for going too wide here and there (in real life).
    And however good the driving standards are in a simracing league, when you have 30+ cars racing and pushing the limits for 2-3 hours on track every fortnight, policing track limits is a very time consuming pain in the neck.

17. Mee

Mee Registered

Will it still be possible to apply some throttle while braking so the rears won't lock up so fast? A lot of ex-GPL drivers still do this and as a result can brake later because they can set their brake bias more to the rear. This isn't realistic though, because the cars won't like that at all and will break down. Will there be an increase of mechanical problems for people who do this?

18. Mee

Mee Registered

You can use rFCutDetection. We use this for many years in our league now and this works very good/precise, altough a lot depends on how good you make your reference cutfiles (you first have to drive around the track twice to mark the cutzones).

19. DeDios

DeDios Registered

i've just a question for developers: no way to remove (using a system like iRacing) the steering lock customizable value in garage menu? Would be nice, like iR or FVA for example, to have just one, true realistic value like real car. In multiplayer races i see several guys who go (a lot) faster simply because they use irrealistic values for steering lock.

20. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

@DeDios - modders can use fixed steering lock if they want. The problem is that different steering wheels (i.e. simracing hardware) require different steering locks. Most formula cars have 450 deg. of rotation, sportscars 450-560, most road cars 800+ Our equipment usually ranges from 240 to 1080. That's where variable steering lock is necessary.
    I used it with mixed success, but decided it wasn't worth it. It was even bigger pain in the neck, considering the need to create cutfiles, plus setting up all the ftp nonsense and as a result it doesn't prevent cutting anyway, only somewhat facilitates the process of handing out penalties after the race. IMO, any need for interfering with the result after the race should be minimized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.