Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. svictor

svictor Registered

I couldn't load image from imgur. Can you upload it to forum, thanks.

PS: There is a known minor issue with mesh triangulation when I first exported raw road meshes(lots n-gon) directly from blender to 3dsimed about 2 years ago (should have applied triangulation first but I didn't at the time), which resulted some bad triangulated meshes at outer road edge, though 99.9% of them are unnoticeable.

If it is the same issue you have found, then the best solution I could think is to redo the whole road & terrain exporting with correct triangulation to fix them once and for all. However it won't be a quick task, because road & terrain & walls & many scenery objects are all merged together in blender file, which requires manual separation and re-apply material settings afterwards.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I hope it is something way less complicated. Like missing polygon in mesh or something like it. Whole track is perfect, just somehwere around this place on the racing line I sometimes hit something that is very harsh bump, some other times I don't hit it, or it feels much less harsh. I also currently only drive using rally stages, if that makes any difference for the issue.

Attached Files:

3. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks. Looks like it is not the same issue that I described.

I have checked road mesh and here is the results:

I pulled a few straight reference lines across the center road, and checked bump/dip height, the highest readings is 1.6cm, and most are between 0.3 and 1.0 cm, which is within reasonable range I believe.

Here is the spots where I found the highest bump/dip near your pic:
    [​IMG]
    (Consider the 2.2cm height difference between 1.2cm and 1cm, this is probably the spot that cause harsh bump when hit at certain angle or speed? Though still looks like within reasonable range.)

And road mesh (no issue found with triangulation) and 3d normal to help visualize bumps:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
    atomed, Bidle, Bostrom and 3 others like this.
  4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

all vertices welded?

5. svictor

svictor Registered

Yes, the road mesh was fully rebuilt to eliminate all possible gap/holes. Note, the issue(bad triangulation) I mentioned earlier does not create any gap/holes, but only creates some minor visual issues at very outer edge of road (which doesn't effect main road).

Bostrom and Art_Pereira like this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@svictor I am sorry for wasting your time and bringing confusion. I showed wrong place at first. Should have brought an actual screenshot from incident occuring, but I was too busy still in devmode, sorry :D

This is really harsh "bump". I suppose it is missing a polygon. It kicks car up really well, and when I drove backwards and stopped on it, I was redirected to start. Perhaps it is only a rally stage sp9 km9 issue ? I didn't drive full layout to test or other rally stage that has this location.

Attached Files:

Bidle, svictor, Emery and 2 others like this.
  7. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for the help.

I have identified the issue. It was resulted by very long terrain boundary collision wall (total of 16 invisible collision boundary objects, each is roughly 9km long both side combined), which under rare case the game would generate errors in collision cache and causing invisible obstacles/holes.

The fix is to split the wall into smaller pieces, I'll try make a patch shortly.

Meanwhile, if you already have the track in dev mode, you could manually remove following line from SCN file to temporarily disable boundary wall collision cache generation at this troubled section:
    MeshFile=collwall13.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

DJChrizz, bears, Bidle and 4 others like this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

amazing! You two found a Pea in hundreds of Acres.

9. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.16 (2023-10-19)
    - Re-triangulated all terrain & road surface meshes. Fixed bad triangulated faces at outer road edge.
    - Split all 16 terrain boundary walls into 64 smaller pieces to avoid collision cache errors that would otherwise result invisible obstacles or holes.
    - Updated all collision cache files.

All previously mentioned issues are fixed now.

Here are the mas filenames with new changes (in case you want to manually replace old v1.15 files for used in Dev-Mode):
    Targa_Florio_MAIN.mas
    Targa_Florio_Summer.mas
    Targa_Florio_D1.mas
    Targa_Florio_S*.mas (all rally layouts)
    Targa_Florio_GMT_Newwall.mas
    Targa_Florio_GMT_Newsurface.mas
    Targa_Florio_GMT_Newland.mas

Legend, DJChrizz, Bjørn and 20 others like this.
  10. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

I say it before but ... this track is awsome ! You did a long hard work for many fans and when I drive the full track with the 992 cup or some older cars it's so much fun to drive.

Xzanman, vava74, pkelly and 1 other person like this.
  11. svictor

svictor Registered

Recently there has been a few reports about potential road hole somewhere in Sector 3.

Currently it is uncertain whether this issue exists in current 1.16 version or on specific layout, as one of the invisible hole issue (cause by collision cache error) from v1.15 was already fixed in v1.16.

If anyone has encountered such issue with invisible holes or obstacles in v1.16, please take a screenshot of the exact location that it happened (and specify which layout name), and upload the image using "forum upload file" in this thread here (as images hosted on some external image sites would not load for me).

Thanks.

ps: So far has done 3 laps but haven't encountered any holes in sector 3 on full layout.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    Bostrom, Bidle, GeraArg and 5 others like this.
  12. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Currently building a new rig, but after I'll start lapping again. So, if I encounter something, I'll post it. Thanks again for keeping this track alive.

vava74 and svictor like this.
  13. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.17 (2024-04-12)
    - Reworked instant out-lap timing mechanism (workaround), which fixed an issue where player could gain an extra completed lap (due to triggering instant timing in paddock) after rejoining a online session race. Instant timing area is now defined by a group of hay bales and only available in practice, qualify sessions. In race session, hay bales are re-arranged to block access to instant timing area.
    - Reworked AI path in paddock, limited AI speed under 60kph in paddock, fixed AI not moving issues while exiting paddock.

Thanks to @DJCruicky for suggestion.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  14. benborp

benborp Registered

The hole in sector three is because of a short section of road with inverted normals.

svictor and 8Ball like this.
  15. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thanks svictor. I tested it and working very good. Good use of the hay bales :).

8Ball and svictor like this.
  16. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.18 (2024-04-13)
    - Fixed a surface hole near Campofelice di Roccella that was original fixed in v1.05 but accidentally re-introduced in v1.16 (thanks to @benborp for the info.) Updated collision cache for full & summer layout, rally stage S4 & S6.
    - Re-adjusted hay bales and added additional trucks for blocking instant timing area in race session.

17. sushi

sushi Registered

Thank you for all your work.
    Nothing is better for relaxation than going for a ride in beautiful Italy, nice vacation memories.

Xzanman, atomed, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  18. Corti

Corti Registered

Attached Files:

Superdevil, atomed, svictor and 3 others like this.